Metroid: The Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn that is awesome. Samus finally has a voice. Mother brain appears at 1:28. This is pure pwnage for the series.

Admin note: A second topic was created on this game, so I merged the two together. Figured it was better than just locking one of them.

I don't know about you guys but I can't tell what kind of game it is.

Is it FPS, scroller, or fighting?
Or a mix of all three?

Sonic 2 said:
Probably a mix because in the trailer there's a bit of 3rd person game play

The game is played in 3D from a 3rd person perspective, while you switch to the Prime-like view from inside the helmet to use Missiles and other long range weapons. The basic gameplay is similar to that of Ninja Gaiden II.
Also, the game takes place inbetween Super Metroid and Fusion. It will most likely start at Super's ending, or contains flashbacks for the story.

Also, being made by Team Ninja, it may be M rated. So look out for that.

I personally think that the 1st person view in the trailer was actually part of a cut scene, it just looks fake to me.

super said:
I personally think that the 1st person view in the trailer was actually part of a cut scene, it just looks fake to me.

No. It's part of the game. It dosn't look good because they more than likely havn't gotten it right yet. There is a HUD there though, and normaly in cutscenes there is no HUD, and I doubt they would start, as one of the other cutscenes had HUDs either.

As a novice in Metroid (never played through an entire Metroid game EVER) I'm still impressed with how neo classic this title is.

I MUST play this game.

Only complaint: Why is Samus's suit not reflecting nearby objects like ACTUAL metal? Something they should work on, but her model still looks sexy. So unbelievably HD.

I have to take a break from studying and just take a moment to say...

Yes, some pro-tips -- for example, if you charge your beam completely and then switch to morph ball, Samus will automatically lay four or five bombs circling her perimeter, which is a great way to quickly dispose of enemies.

I'm glad that the introduction irons out exactly where this sits in the Metroid canon: it's a "sequel" to Super Metroid. It was awesome to see the ending to that game recreated in a well-rendered and directed cinematic

The controls feel very responsive and Samus moves through environments extremely fast -- an attribute of the character missing from the Prime games.

Here, though, is where the gameplay mechanics take on a few distinguishing facets. At any time, and anywhere, if you point the Wii remote at the screen, the action will change to the first-person and you'll be able to take direct control over Aran's beam as you might in the Prime games. There are some differences, however. First, you can't move around in the first-person -- you can only look and shoot. Tap the A button to very rapidly shoot down foes on a static screen. Hold B-trigger and you can actually look around in a full 360-degree radius.
...Utilizing the Wii remote in this dual fashion is extremely uncommon and there's certainly a very small learning curve to the process -- one more likely to seem difficult in the heat of intense battles. But I have to note, it works really well and I like it. The aim sensitivity on the Wii remote is fast and very reliable.

IGN Impressions

...that this is starting to sound like a real treat. Super Metroid was the first game I was "coached" on, and for that reason I am really excited to see some of these details. It is a platformer before it is a first-person shooter, it takes a retrospective look at Super Metroids events, and I'm seriously geeking out over the first quote I listed here...

I also laughed at the people who were complaining that this showed nothing..I mean come on, you got showed quite a lot when the game was first revealed. Shut up already! =|

Wow, in some ways it almost reminds me of Naija from Aquaria... Her voiceovers really set the mood for the game and actually made that metroid loneliness even stronger. I can almost expect to see the same thing come up for Other M, where Samus's struggling with the aftermath of another game is going to make the exploration feel so much more personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back