Here is somthing that I question about the Gamegear and Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
System limitations, I would guess. But you know, if you really wanted to play the Genesis games on the go, you could always get the Nomad. That thing is awesome, though you need a battery pack. Heck, you can play 2 player games with just a Genesis controller plugged in!

System limitations?

You would think they would at least make it a LITTLE similer to the originals.

They did, over time. Look at Sonic 1, it had no loops at all. Sonic 2 had loops, but they were only one way. Triple Trouble finally had loops that worked right. But the thing is, they likely couldn't make the physics engine work the same way, because the hardware was limited compared to the Genesis.

Either way, I like that they aren't the same games. That way, you have a reason to play both versions.

Screen space led to redesign decisions. You can't really translate a 320x240 game well into 128x128.

It's a totally different game. Why does everyone act like the Game Gear games that share names with Genesis games are ports?

a bee said:
Screen space led to redesign decisions. You can't really translate a 320x240 game well into 128x128.

Are you sure? Playing the Genesis titles on the Nomad is no problem for me, and that screen is pretty small.

Kilron said:
a bee said:

Are you sure? Playing the Genesis titles on the Nomad is no problem for me, and that screen is pretty small.

The Nomad isn't 128x128.

Honestly, I like Sonic 1 for the Game Gear more than I like the Genesis version. It just feels like the Genesis levels drone on forever, the only zones I really enjoyed were Green Hill and Starlight. The Game Gear levels flowed a lot better and seemed more interesting for the most part.

Blue Warrior said:
Honestly, I like Sonic 1 for the Game Gear more than I like the Genesis version. It just feels like the Genesis levels drone on forever, the only zones I really enjoyed were Green Hill and Starlight. The Game Gear levels flowed a lot better and seemed more interesting for the most part.

I agree. Oh and is it just me, or did the gamegear games have much more gimmicks?

(Glider flying, bubble transferring, spring shoes, flying sneakers,)

All The Gamegear games are good. Also i love sonic 1 on it because some of the levels are creative and not in The genesis ones.
[Ex, Bridge Zone]

Autosaver said:
Blue Warrior said:

I agree. Oh and is it just me, or did the gamegear games have much more gimmicks?

(Glider flying, bubble transferring, spring shoes, flying sneakers,)
Well, it was developed months after the Genesis version, and some similar-to-GG-sonic features/tiles are present in the ROM but didn't make it into the game. With enough applied cranial concussion, you could say Sonic for the Genesis is an early version of the Game Gear version.

The SMS/GG versions of Sonic the Hedgehog were given Ancient as a developer. Sonic Team had pretty much nothing to do with the handheld Sonic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back