Sonic Accel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therein lies the problem. It's a decent engine, but that's all it is. It looks exactly the same as every other "fan game" project out there, because this is what fan games have become. Back in "the day", there wasn't so much focus on having a perfect engine. That was when we were given such classics as Metal Sonic Quest and When Tails Gets Bored. By today's standards, they had horrible engines, but they could entertain a player for a few hours.

Now everyone has to have a perfect 360 degree movement engine. 99% of the time spent developing a fan game is spent on that pursuit, and the game still ends up just as glitch-ridden as it would be if the author had just used the built in platform movement. The remaining 1% is squandered downloading graphics ripped from one of the Advance titles and arranging them into a single mediocre level, releasing a few demos, and then dropping it due to lack of interest.

I haven't cancelled Sonic Nitro Adventure , I mean the cut scenes will look like the genesis ones. I don't ignore criticism. I'm working on the engine right now then I will give a beta to a few friends to test then in a few months I will release a demo to the public then they can say what they don't like and I will try improve.

Last edited:
More like scripted movement sequences. That is the closest any classic Sonic game ever gets to cutscenes. Not to belittle them in any way, I thought they were great, but that's all they are.

Hell, this entire GAME is like a cutscene; you hardly DO anything yourself. It's more like Sonic Autopilot than Accel. This is the main issue with Unleashed and Rush; the boost REMOVES from the platforming, making it more "Hold left and maybe push jump, and Push X to not die sometimes" than anything else. You see, Sonic, deep down, is NOT BUILT ON SPEED. It is actually a platformer with speed (and pinball) ELEMENTS. Hell, without all those speed gimmicks and the Pinball Physics of the classic games, you'd have a watered down Mario game. Speed is a feature, not the entire FOCUS. A mix of cool moves and moments with platforming goodness. That's what Sonic is truly about. But in Sonic Autopilot, all I see is hold boost, and the same thing that Unleashed was; BORING, and practically self playing with little actual platforming. And don't give me this "but it's just a test level, the rest will have platforming" crap. I just know this'll just be a boostfest.

Oh, and what Tets said. I loved WTGB.

Hell, this entire GAME is like a cutscene; you hardly DO anything yourself. It's more like Sonic Autopilot than Accel. This is the main issue with Unleashed and Rush; the boost REMOVES from the platforming, making it more "Hold left and maybe push jump, and Push X to not die sometimes" than anything else. You see, Sonic, deep down, is NOT BUILT ON SPEED. It is actually a platformer with speed (and pinball) ELEMENTS. Hell, without all those speed gimmicks and the Pinball Physics of the classic games, you'd have a watered down Mario game. Speed is a feature, not the entire FOCUS. A mix of cool moves and moments with platforming goodness. That's what Sonic is truly about. But in Sonic Autopilot, all I see is hold boost, and the same thing that Unleashed was; BORING, and practically self playing with little actual platforming. And don't give me this "but it's just a test level, the rest will have platforming" crap. I just know this'll just be a boostfest.

Oh, and what Tets said. I loved WTGB.

Well it is a test stage and it's just showing off gimmicks and the speed of the game, I don't see the point to show off platforming. The first stage is mostly platforming with speed.

Do you not realize how absurd that is? You may as well have said, "I don't see the point to showing off what people actually want in a game".

I should remind you RegoTheAlien, that everybody thought that Sonic Nitro Adventure was pretty mediocre until you applied some of our criticism to the game. Then it was lightyears better. Remember, we aren't all out to destroy what you've worked on!

I know but it is just a test stage to show off some stuff. I have been planning the first stage and it will feature.

1up Store
Water Run
Surfing
Dolphins & Whales that swim in the water and I might add a feature to ride one of them.
AND lot's of platforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back