Concerning the "Rail Ring"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Multiplayer mode, there's been nothing I disliked more than the infamous Rail Ring. IMO it's extremely OP compared to the other Ring weapons, for the following reasons:

*It's an instant-connecting rail that absolutely no one will expect, especially in team-based game types or with players using controllers to make the platforming portion a little less miserable, sacrificing their ability to be a good shooter on the battlefield.
*When you get shot by a Rail Ring, the knockback you receive is too strong compared to the other ring weapons, making it much more difficult to re-collect your dropped items. This is especially haunting in maps with many pits.
*The recharge delay after one use of the Rail Ring is very quick, with many shots of quite an effective weapon available upon pickup of the weapon itself, and each batch of additional ammo.
*There's no real way to combat Rail Ringers without becoming a Rail Ringer yourself, like with some type of pickup that enables the player to turn 90% transparent and ambush Rail Ringers without being detected.

I've said this before but I disagree with the notion that the rail ring is OP. To summarize: the ammo comes in small, scarce packages, the ammo always takes time to retrieve, the firing rate is so bad that if you miss, you're basically dead, and finally if one considers all these factors and still finds the rail ring OP, they have to admit it does add some diversity to the weaponry. Their good for last minute defense and sniping, something the other rings are useless for.

I could give less fucks about it being overpowered or fair, it just isn't very fun to play against someone using it in general.

the firing rate is so bad that if you miss, you're basically dead

I have to disagree here because it is dependent on the character you are using. If you miss as Sonic, you have the highest acceleration and speed, as well as his thok ability to instantly allow you to dodge almost anything. Knuckles also has a relatively high acceleration and speed and can avoid quite a lot with mouselook and glide. The only character that really applies to is Tails, since there's no reliable way to avoid anything as him.

I could give less fucks about it being overpowered or fair, it just isn't very fun to play against someone using it in general.

I see it's overpoweredness as being very unfun, especially when a Sonic player can use it well. That said, it is just unfun in general to play against someone who can consistently use them.

Rails seem to be one of the most controversial issues in this game for some reason, but I don't see a problem with them. I'll tell you now that I can't fire a rail worth a flip, but it doesn't bother me when someone else can.

To me it's hard enough to learn to use that you deserve a reward for doing so. I can't stand the delay and they're not entirely invisible if you notice the trail of sparkles. Granted, if the person is good it's usually too late by the time you see them.

I hit railers back with other ring types all the time, it's just about timing.

Snipers are hated in ALL games, and this one is no exception.

When someone can instantly hit you from super far away, your natural reaction is to be upset.

Maybe give all weapon types an ammo cap and make Rail have a really low one, if it's really that big a deal? And/or increase the delay between shots so that using it at close range is a huge gamble?

Honestly, from my (limited) experience, only tails really has it rough with Rails since he lacks an instantly-direction-changing Thok or a Glide that lets him change directions semi-rapidly. All he's got is a slow flying move. Mind you, Tails is the one who should be trying to get rail and fly up into hard to see spots to snipe people in the first place.

Was wondering when someone would make this topic. XD
But seriously, the rail ring is quite overpowered. AIM. CLICK. WIN.
It's literally just that. No scarce amount, no low rate of fire balances that. As cool as they are to use, it feels cheap and ridiculous to use them. If you have a really good aim, you're pretty much unstoppable. ¬¬

Explosion Rings can also be devastating in levels with many pits, and they seem very spammable and knock victims back massively just like Rail Rings.

*play on Cloud Palace or Silver Cascade
*get BOMB'd or RAIL'd
*fly 10 feet away
*get killed by Pitty the Pit
*YOU WIN GG

IMO, these should be the caps:
Bounce: 150
Rail: 10 (pickups add 2)
Automatic: 300
Explosion: 20 (pickups add 4)
Scatter: 100
Grenade: 50

As well as some kind of option to disable the two Uber weapons (Bomb and Rail) in multiplayer servers (if you're the admin)

Last edited:
Bit of trivia, the Scatter ring can deliver a knockback stronger than either Explosion or Rail, but it only works at point blank range - when you shoot a player THAT close to you they'll be sent to MAXMOVE speed straight away. =P

How overpowered a weapon do people actually see Scatter as for that matter?

Rails are extremely hard to use in case you don't know, so don't complain about it being over powered. It is just a skillful weapon, and many people have to stand still using it... Unless your a skillful player. Basically, if a person uses nothing but rails, take their rails. Plus, a good way to combat rails is basic knowledge of how rails work yourself. There is nothing overpowered about the rail ring. It is simply a weapon ring.

I personally don't mind the Rail Ring and I have no problem with other people using it. Like Speed said, it's all in skill. If they are a really good player that uses mouse and keyboard, expect so Rail Rings flying here and there. Also the Rail Ring has the slowest fire rate of all the weapons (as of 2.0.X) so if a player misses, it'll take a little bit for them to fire the next Rail Ring.

Noone really sees scatter rings as OP, imo, because of the reflect system. People have shields for a lot of the game, hitting someone with a scatter ring at point blank range is just as detrimental to the victim as the user lol. They're good for filling up hallways, but how often do you even end up in that situation? With all the bs in SRB2 multiplayer, railrings are honestly a breath of fresh air sometimes. I mean, for CTF at least, tossing grenades around people who are too impatient to avoid them is like, the main strategy for talentless people. And then there's Tails. If the rail ring didn't exist, he'd dominate this game, nuff said.

The only real concern I have with rail is that the only long-range weapon is rail. You guys may recall that there was a plan to add new weapons that we're not going to do for 2.1. The main purpose of adding a weapon was to have a second long-range weapon to make sure that players camping the rail spawn aren't all-powerful at long range.

Rail itself isn't overpowered, and if you're having trouble dealing with rail, I suggest all the things people do in other first person shooters to avoid snipers. The overpowered weapon in match is explosion by a large margin, and that IS getting nerfed in 2.1.

Unlike snipers in actual shooters, you don't need to slow down, stop, and scope in to rail. You just glide or thok around like a bastard and use it like any other weapon, you're not vulnerable like actual snipers.

While the mechanics aren't that of a sniper rifle, the general weaknesses of such weapons still apply. Standing still to aim generally isn't a good idea in SRB2, but locating your opponent on their missed shots and engaging them in close range is still the best way to play against rail. Rail's long cooldown makes it a subpar close-range weapon, and while yes, they can totally still hit you if their aim is good, if they miss they're screwed for an entire second.

With how easy it is to just run, thok, or glide out of there because of SRB2's mechanics, that issue becomes nonexistant though. It's so simple to flee. The other thing is that when they're railing you from a distance, you can't return fire like any other shooter allows, because rail is still the only hitscan/near instantaneous weapon in the game. You have to take shelter and go around everything to get up to them, and they're way ready by that time to just shoot you again (often the insane knockback throwing you off whatever high platform the rail player was on anyways forcing you to either restart or find another opponent).

Noone really sees scatter rings as OP, imo, because of the reflect system. People have shields for a lot of the game, hitting someone with a scatter ring at point blank range is just as detrimental to the victim as the user lol. They're good for filling up hallways, but how often do you even end up in that situation? With all the bs in SRB2 multiplayer, railrings are honestly a breath of fresh air sometimes. I mean, for CTF at least, tossing grenades around people who are too impatient to avoid them is like, the main strategy for talentless people. And then there's Tails. If the rail ring didn't exist, he'd dominate this game, nuff said.

Well, let's just say not everyone is going to be the proud owner of some type of shield, especially the Reflector Shields. And even if the Rail Ring didn't exist, Tails would still be an easy target, since everyone he's up against would see him and spam rings into the air. Sure the Tails could be a good shooter, but even with that he's still really vulnerable.

I don't really see the Scatter Ring being that OP since it's not as abused as the Explosion and Rail Rings are. And in some maps it's placed in more difficult areas to reach compared to either of the two Uber rings.

Last edited:
Honestly, if your opponent can use a rail against you, you can use a rail against them. And if they miss, yes, they are in a heap of trouble. Whether they thok, fly, or glide, there are counter measures to all those moves. Even thok is rendered almost useless against the ludicrous range of a bomb ring. Rail rings may be annoying, but so are alot of things in the ring weaponry, and I don't find the rail unbalanced. I mean really with all the crap flying around in a game at Twisted Terminal? Rail rings end up being next to useless. I am a bit concerned about hearing that the bomb ring will be nerfed though...that just might make the rail ring a bit more overpowered and not to mention over used.

There is always a way to counter the rail ring players.And like mentioned before if rail rings wouldn't have existed Tails would be kinda op.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back