4D Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Modern gamers have become too powerful. On average, 100% of a game's content will have been discovered, and released to the internet within 24 hours of a new game's release. One could say that these games lack enough "depth" for modern gamers.
So what's the cheapest way to add depth? Add another dimension of course!

Of course, that's alot easier said than done. Our reality only has 3 spatial dimensions (Note I said spatial, no "ZOMG TIME IS A DIMENSION" posts plz) Hence we have to make one up. It's not as bad as we think though, we're already sortof pushing it by presenting a 3D plane on a 2D surface (The TV screen) We need only invent D4 (The fourth dimension) as something that can be easily presented in a 3D plane, which is translated into a 2D image.

Gameplay wise, the player would be permitted to move freely across D4, with perhaps some random limitation to be decided by the game designer. Objects across D4 would appear to fade away, with perhaps a slight tint of red or blue, to note the player of which direction. The player would only be solid to objects on or near his position on D4.

4D gameplay would at first be puzzle based, but if it caught up, it could evolve into platformers, racing games, and other such games. Though there would be little advantage to a 4D RPG.

It seems at first like a cheap gimmick, but if it were to catch on, it could bring about an era of incredibly deep games. What I feel makes them particularly challenging, is, to a degree, it requires the player to think on a higher plane than naturally intended, which could make for a particularly fun, and challenging game.

So, what do y'all think of this idea? Am I crazy, or what?

Yes Draykon, we're gonna send you to a funny farm for coming up with THE MOST PWNERFUL IDEA ON THIS FORUM IN MANY MONTHS! *shot for colortag abuse*

Are you talking about something like Super Paper Mario for the Wii where you switch between 2d and 3d but with more depth? Making a 3d game is already hard enough, I'm not sure how one would implement a fourth spatial dimension.

Draykon said:
Gameplay wise, the player would be permitted to move freely across D4, with perhaps some random limitation to be decided by the game designer. Objects across D4 would appear to fade away, with perhaps a slight tint of red or blue, to note the player of which direction. The player would only be solid to objects on or near his position on D4.

Or do you mean something like character moves around a picks up items, but also moves back and forth in whatever to change the appearance of the world around him and the availability of these items.

Something like that could be done with time travel games I guess, moving a secondary d-pad to the right goes backwards in time, changing the landscape... but moving it left builds it up and adds architecture. Certain platforming situations would require you to carefully navigate from an area open in the past to enter a locked room in the future, or platform across things as they build up to reach certain places. Maybe moving it up or down changes the time of day to help trigger events.

Yep, definitely a crazy idea... I don't think I understand what you mean. v_v

The old-school games were meant to be completed in just a few hours (mainly due to the lack of a save feature) and nobody cared about it :/ Moreover, the first games made were always exactly the same stage going over and over until you lost all your lives or the game crashed due to advancing too many levels (yes, the latter is a reference to Pac-man's split stage, level 256 :P). They didn't bother if you knew it all by heart. They just wanted the game to be addictive so you kept playing it all the time. And it worked very well, specially when there was score in the way and you tried to break your own high scores.

Seriously, you fail this time :/ Can you post a concept image or a video? No matter how hard I try to think in it, I can't get the idea, it yet keeps being 3D to me :/

I can't really follow what you said either... Are you talking about games in which you can move threw time at any time of the game, in any direction you want to and thus changing the 3D surroundings in relation to the time that has passed / been decreased?

I would just be happy if they would create real 3D games and not the ones that presents a 3D plane on a 2D surface. Like a special room that changes its current state in relation to a program that is running meanwhile and that shows you what you should see threw special monitor glasses or holographs or something...
Or for home consoles something that is even realisable: headtracking (link with movie)

Draykon said:
Our reality only has 3 spatial dimensions (Note I said spatial, no "ZOMG TIME IS A DIMENSION" posts plz)

So with this 4d idea you're presenting, you're essentially saying time is the fifth dimension... *K.O.ed*

I'll Begin said:
Insert 4D block diagram here.
Kaaaaay...

046c.gif

In an attempt to elaborate, think about what you add when you go 2D to 3D. You add an extra dimension, Z. The player can move across Z with limitations. For this 4D concept, with add another dimension, sort of like a whole bunch of darkworlds.
Ok, trying to make a diagram here.

The blue represents one direction on D4, the red the other. As you would move in the first direction, the blue would turn white, the red would turn darker red. Moving in the second, the red would turn white, the blue darker blue. Once it turns completely black, it's out of the player's D4 line of vision, and dissapears, adding to the exploration. Only objects that are white are solid to the player.
In this example, suppose the player is standing on the all white platform. The tip of the platform is light blue, meaning it's only solid if he moves a little in one direction on D4. The player must jump from this platform, to the red platform. In order to do this, he will need to move along D4 in midair. Then, in order to reach the blue platform, he will need to take a "running jump" along D4, in order to move quickly enough to get from solid red to solid blue.

So yeah, for this example you are moving across color, but that's just the example. The whole idea's kinda sketchy, and in it's state might not make a fun game.

This make it easier to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back