• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Flame the Hedgehog WAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisima

Hello everyone,
I am making a wad titled "Flame the Hedgehog". It's a work-in-progress.
Here are the .gif rotations I've created:

Regular Idle:
5251e1d50a43a.gif

Hurt:
5251e3a5d48ff.gif

I am wondering about how to give him some custom ability. I want him to fly, but thok when he spin-dashes. Is there any way to do that? Thanks!

Last edited:
I like it! It looks beautiful. I like how it looks just like Dr. Pepper's SonicRE. You sir, are the epitome of swaglicious.

I think I can see where this character is going... Will it perhaps be engulfed in flames while he is in his running animation?

Could I suggest on making your character look less like Sonic? I appreciate the effort in wanting to make a character, but I'd love to see some more original looking characters. I suggest changing up the spines ((not just spine markings)) and giving him a more overall "flame" look. He doesn't look flame-like really.

Should the MB really let people get away with such horrible edits of already horrible sprites?

Even when it isn't credited?

Should the MB really let people get away with such horrible edits of already horrible sprites?

Even when it isn't credited?

Forum Rules said:
Rule #12: Do not post recolors, sprite rips, music replacements, or timer SOCs. These submissions will be rejected, and repeated submission will result in bans.

I think that should answer your question.

What Monster Iestyn means, I believe it is that recolors are allowed on editing since they still can change it, however if the recolors remain and the creators of it decide to pass it to submissions they will get rejected. If the guy is stubborn and likes to insist to get the recolor onto submissions, he will get banned.

Recolor?

Hmmm... if you guys think it's that much of a recolor, what can I do to change him? His run and sprint sprites are much different that Sonic's. He has jet-booster shoes, like Shadow, but has his own running animation.

Last edited:
Personally, when someone says recolor, my mind thinks of how the character looks visually itself, not its decoration or clothes and that's the main problem, you need remake it and will be valued only if you do it looking at your own style, while you just changed his colors and added some different shoes, that doesn't mean that it's not a recolor.

Last edited:
Like I said, most of his frames are completely original. Doesn't that not make this a 'recolor'? This is my first wad, and I'm not really great at this stuff.

Like I said, most of his frames are completely original. Doesn't that not make this a 'recolor'?
srb20028-2.png

Does it look familiar for you? Oh, and what are you trying to say with frames "completely" original? If I remember correctly, those frames are from SonicRE.

Last edited:
srb20028-2.png

Does it look familiar for you? Oh, and what are you trying to say with frames "completely" original? If I remember correctly, those frames are from SonicRE.

Look closely at what I said. MOST. You haven't seen all of them. I was looking for some positive feedback. You want me to stop progress, then?

Zuko doesn't mean the position and animations the character takes. He means the actual design of the sprites themselves. The sprites look too much like Sonic (as the picture of Sonic was supposed to reveal). If you honestly want my opinion, I don't think the character itself is worthy of creation unless his design is made to be much different to the point that he doesn't look like Sonic at all. I also believe that you should try making your own sprites and then proceed from there. If you don't know how to sprite... well the internet's a big place. I'm not trying to put you down for trying to make a decent character wad, but I honestly want to see something more for a character than a change of color and animations.

Gosh, I thought this was going to be good. I'll just start from scratch, or stop progress all together. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

EDIT: Ha haaah! Lucky me, I made the 74,000th post in this section!

Last edited:
Gosh, I thought this was going to be good. I'll just start from scratch, or stop progress all together. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I wouldn't stop all progress just because of a redesign or lack of spriting. I would really like to see this character in action and I think it does have some potential. I say to come up with a few design choices and see which one seems fitting to you for Flame. It might take awhile and making a character does take longer than what normally people think.

Honestly, I can't see any redeeming value in this at all. It's an uglier, less interesting Shadow but named "Flame" for some reason.

It's a black Sonic with blue shoes. I could probably whip up a full sprite set in a day with SLADE's Color Remap tool.

Ahem.

It looks like a Super Mystic Sonic recolor colored completely black. Just saying.

Also, the naming convention for this wad puts a bad taste in my mouth. I've even stopped working on my own character wad due to it looking like a recolor.

You might want to reconsider working on this until you can make this character stand out in a more 'original' sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back