Cannot host even after port forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesfire

Since 2006
Hey, I've recently been hosting online games and randomly people can't connect to my server. Sometimes it works fine but a lot of the time people get stuck on the Connecting To Server screen. I've portforwarded and it's worked before but randomly it just stops. I have a dynamic IP address, but I don't think I can change that since I'm on a laptop.

The server will advertise on the MB, but like this:
unknown.png

What should I do? Where should I check?

Last edited:
Where should I check?

Maybe your router is changing your IP (private IP) when is being off and turn it on again, you should check in cmd using the command "ipconfig", if your IP (IPv4) changed, then you should change it in the portfoward.

EDIT: I have a dynamic IP address too, it happened to me alot of times, that's what I do when my server is having a connect problem.

Last edited:
I've portforwarded and it's worked before but randomly it just stops.

Try doing this:

After PortForward, you should enter a server and stand in the server for around 1 Minute.

After doing this, try hosting. This works for me.

Last edited:
Just tried that, Pinkio. Same results.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Figured I should add this, in case I port forwarded wrong?

tk1AYxN.png

Uh.... well, if it's a Wi-Fi connection (you told me that in discord), it should be 192.168.1.*** , can you show a screenshot where did you get the IP? (I know, in CMD > ipconfig , etc. but in which part)

rUSUkG0.png

Blocked out the other numbers, wasn't sure if sharing those was smart publicly lol, but that's what my default gateway is

rUSUkG0.png

Blocked out the other numbers, wasn't sure if sharing those was smart publicly lol, but that's what my default gateway is

You are very silly, if you going host, the masterserver will list your public IPv4 address...... so please do not hide your setup, there almost no point and stop us from helping you.

Now you are behind a NAT, so they are private IPv4, only your internal network have access to this address; unless you punch a hole... which we need to do IF you want to host a server.

Now, you need to setup your system with a static/fixed IPv4 address, look at your router's DHCP setup and pick an IPv4 out of DHCP range BUT still in the IPv4 range

THEN you tell your router to port forward UDP Port 5029 to that new fixed IPv4 address.

Sent from my A0001 using ********

Sorry, I'm new to all this network stuff. Not sure what should be private or not. The tutorial I saw told me to use my default gateway, so I did. Glad to hear that it was wrong to cause that always seemed a little weird. I showed what you said to a friend of mine and he ran me through everything I needed to do and everything works great now! I really appreciate it, and I hope my silly question can help more people figure out why they can't host lol

You are very silly, if you going host, the masterserver will list your public IPv4 address...... so please do not hide your setup, there almost no point and stop us from helping you.

Now you are behind a NAT, so they are private IPv4, only your internal network have access to this address; unless you punch a hole... which we need to do IF you want to host a server.

Now, you need to setup your system with a static/fixed IPv4 address, look at your router's DHCP setup and pick an IPv4 out of DHCP range BUT still in the IPv4 range

THEN you tell your router to port forward UDP Port 5029 to that new fixed IPv4 address.

Sent from my A0001 using ********

How do I know if my address is in IPv4's range ? I don't get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back