SRB2's picking up news coverage... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol was that the official Sonic YT channel ? Welp now some SEGA Employee knows about SRB2, Not a big deal .

I'm so happy to see ProJared pick up on SRB2. This game is very highly underrated, and I do wish for it to be renowned more widely.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

SRB2 should hopefully gain some publicity due to this, thanks, ProJared!

It would have been an indie game if they did so I don't think so .

And to SEGA, that's ok?

I'm just thinking about the unlicensed use of SEGA characters/creations and other picky things that major companies nowadays would get pissed off for.

Last edited:
As far as I've heard SEGA's already known about us for a while now. With that knowledge, consider that they could have shut us down at any time, and that they haven't. (if we started involving money with SRB2 though, that would be different) Seems SEGA's not bothered by Sonic fangames in general really, otherwise SAGE also wouldn't be a thing. =)

As far as I've heard SEGA's already known about us for a while now. With that knowledge, consider that they could have shut us down at any time, and that they haven't. (if we started involving money with SRB2 though, that would be different) Seems SEGA's not bothered by Sonic fangames in general really, otherwise SAGE also wouldn't be a thing. =)

Well yes, obviously. If the developers gained money off of SRB2 for using characters that weren't even created by them, that would be an issue. But if SEGA has heard of SRB2 being a fan-game with a strong community and they're not bothered by us, that's fine by me.

lmao I'm sorry but I don't see why he's bashing SRB2

He says that it's "unpolished". It kinda pissed me off when one of the reasons he hated it because it was made in the doom engine. He probably doesn't know that this game came out in 1999. When the doom engine was popular.

He says that it's "unpolished". It kinda pissed me off when one of the reasons he hated it because it was made in the doom engine. He probably doesn't know that this game came out in 1999. When the doom engine was popular.

Yeah, from what someone told me or from what I read in the comment section (can't remember) he said he doesn't like SRB2 because it was made on a FPS engine which is apparently ludicrous.

that doesn't seem like an unreasonable complaint to me

srb2 looks and plays like a weird hybrid fps. a lot of people are going to get turned off from that because it doesn't feel like anything they're used to

Here's the thing, the end-user's feedback matters regardless of whether or not the game came from the Doom engine. If he has a valid issue with the game, that's kind of it.

The real problem, I think, is that we don't have a proper tutorial stage. Our game is definitely odd in how it behaves and having an explicit "Here's how to play!" stage would be super helpful.

People know how to play Sonic. The real problem, I think, is that we don't have proper analog control support, buuut we've been over that.

Well, that's debatable. Another way you can look at it is that the problem is that we have analog support. Including it causes newbies to think that they should use it, when in reality it's not an ideal way to play SRB2 even at its best.

Well, that's debatable. Another way you can look at it is that the problem is that we have analog support. Including it causes newbies to think that they should use it, when in reality it's not an ideal way to play SRB2 even at its best.

emphasis on proper analog support

it could be ideal if it didn't have a shitty camera and shitty output from control sticks

No, I mean that too much of this game's level design assumes that you can strafe. I don't even think proper analog support would be ideal. But, eh, what do I know?

there isn't much difference between strafing and analog left/right with the exception of where you're facing in relation to the camera.

What really kills analog is bad camera controls

there isn't much difference between strafing and analog left/right with the exception of where you're facing in relation to the camera.

That's literally the definition of strafing though. It's being able to move around freely while keeping the camera locked in one direction. I'm not sure how you can replicate that with analog controls, but I'd be interested if someone can think of a solution.

Easily, you could make a bind to toggle cam_still on and off, once you start pressing left or right when it's on, the character will start moving strictly left or right like in 2D mode relative to the camera rather than turning.

I really think that all analog needs is some fixed camera movement that the stage does for you in certain sections, and having a linedef that simply pans the camera to a certain point smoothly would be the perfect solution, much like any other 3d platformer. it's been a staple of 3D platformers since Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure, and it's been used all the way up to 3D World and Generations.

That's literally the definition of strafing though. It's being able to move around freely while keeping the camera locked in one direction.

you can do that in other platformers, it's called a fixed camera

which brings me back to my last point that we need an analog camera that isn't complete garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back