Hurricane Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbop800

BboP
I'm surprised no one has started a topic about this yet.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurr...ression-nine-storm-hurricane-irene_2011-08-20

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurr...cane-irene-major-northeast-threats_2011-08-23

This hurricane is to hit the entire north-east coast of the US, and it will be my first experience in a hurricane. In fact, we actually drove from Syracuse, NY STRAIGHT to New Jersey to visit our relatives before we knew anything about this hurricane. According to my parents, it's supposed to hit very hard right where we are tomorrow night, with the threat level to be "extreme". To make matters worse, they live fairly close to the coast, which could most likely mean floods. There's also a bunch of large trees surrounding the houses here, which I wont even bother getting into detail about.

If we stay here when the hurricane hits, we'll be stuck here for quite a while, which is why my parents have started to consider leaving back home early. I have no idea what my parents are planning, since we're supposed to get hit here tomorrow night, and we'll probably be much safer if we're farther away from the coast. Also, we were going to go to Pittsburgh, PA, but I'm not sure when we're going there just yet.

Discuss.

Last edited:
If we stay here when the hurricane hits, we'll be stuck here for quite a while

I'm afraid that if you stay there when the hurricane hits, your problems will be a little more worrisome than simply being "stuck there for quite a while."

In other words, you should rather get the hell out of jack and head west.

I'm afraid that if you stay there when the hurricane hits, your problems will be a little more worrisome than simply being "stuck there for quite a while."

In other words, you should rather get the hell out of jack and head west.

I'm well aware of that, and I'm pretty sure we will leave before the hurricane hits us. It's just that my parents are STILL thinking about what we're doing. And it's still very unclear what they're trying to tell me other than that.

I'm directly in the path of Irene, as it so happens. And thanks to the impending nasty weather, my first day of classes is canceled!

My balcony is in for a spin!!! I hope the Internet is going to be fine afterward. First an earthquake then a hurricane. BRING IT ON!!!

Yeah, I've been paying attention to this for a few days now, and this track looks really, really bad. I'm not going to be hit by the brunt of it here in DC, but we're still expecting wind and rain for an entire day. I also am concerned about the beach that I vacation at every year near Ocean City, as that area is going to take the full brunt of it and while they improved their hurricane defenses a few years ago, it might not be enough for a direct hit like this. There's also the issue that a lot of older buildings in the area were damaged by the earthquake rather heavily and may not be able to handle sustained tropical storm force winds for an entire day anymore.

So yeah, those of you in the path, make sure you listen to the evacuations if you end up with one, and NOAA has a very good web site with information on what the hurricane is going to do to your area and what to do to defend your life and property here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/prepare.shtml

Oh well, in positive news, our lawn is looking rather parched and this will almost certainly solve THAT problem.

One thing I'm really grateful for is that my college campus is perched on top of a large hill, so it's pretty much flood-proof (barring a Noachian deluge, of course!)

I'm going to end up nailed head-on with the worst of it (Eastern NC). And I'm stuck here.

Oh well.

So I just returned to New York after being in North Carolina (Carolina Beach more specifically) for a good three weeks or so. Apparently a lot of hectic things were going on down there. Including some Tornadoes and Mini Twisters; the most I've seen in any year to date! Not to mention I didn't want to be there for a Category 3 Hurricane so I decided to get out of there when I could.

If anything, with the way that this Hurricane has been curving, I'm expecting it to hit more of New York's Long Island (where my actual home is) since almost every tracker (That I've been looking at) isn't really all that accurate except for this GFS tracker. This is coming from my understanding and what I've been viewing in the past week or so. Not a lot has been holding true to what I've been seeing.

Expect the worst and hope it's not THAT bad?

On a less serious note, lets go surfing!

EDIT: The GFS Model I briefly mentioned.
http://www.wunderground.com/modelmaps/maps.asp?model=GFS&domain=TA

Last edited:
I'm tucked safely out of harm's way. My sister, however, is not (she works in Boston).

Last edited:
Connecticut is going to get bitch-slapped by the Hurricane to be blunt. Hope power doesn't go out.

Glad I'm not in the path of this hurricane. We've had a few come through where I live from time to time.

Good to know i'm not the only one that's going to be affected by Irene. I guess living on the east coast does have its pros and cons anyway. I'm screwed here in Virginia unless......Sweet! I found my swimming trunks! Now i'm well prepared.

I live in Wisconsin so I really don't have to worry about this. This does, however, look like it might get pretty bad.

Eh, I'm ignoring it. I live in a region where nothing mother-nature related ever happens. Instead, we have to worry about murders and corruption.

Either way, I can't imagine how it is to live on a hurricane-active zone. As in, really no idea. So... Good luck?

Alright, now I'm back at my house which is much further away from the east coast. So I'm going to be fine. I worry about my relatives that are still in New Jersey though... thankfully, they are prepared for the hurricane. (Plenty of food, water, generator, etc.)

Eh, I'm ignoring it. I live in a region where nothing mother-nature related ever happens. Instead, we have to worry about murders and corruption.

Either way, I can't imagine how it is to live on a hurricane-active zone. As in, really no idea. So... Good luck?

I've never really experienced a hurricane myself, though I think I do remember moving away from Virginia (where we used to live back then) to avoid Hurricane Isabel. Luckily enough, our home wasn't damaged one bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back