Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
GemEarthBrandon said:
5. Magma Core by Blade T. Hedgehog 6/10

Ow, this level would have a better score but I got stuck on the part where the lava was rising and when I got to the wood part there was no way to go. I think you forgot to place a spring there where the 5 vertical rings are.

Spin Dash on those platforms. They will rise.

Blade T. Hedgehog said:
Carnival Night Zone syndrome? What's that?

Haven't played your recent fix, but didn't I suggest adding vertical rows of rings? Or taking them out? They weren't obvious.

Carnival Night Zone Act 2 was infamous in the fact that you had to press Up, Down, Up, Down on a barrel to complete the level as Sonic and Tails.

You've played Sonic 3, right? You know the part in Carnival Night that you had to push up and down on the control pad to make the barrel you're standing on move? And how nobody knew you could do that?

That's pretty much what some of us are experiencing with your spindash elevator gimmick. Now that I understand that's what the wooden platforms were for, it sounds like a brilliant idea, but I had no way of knowing you could do that!

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Blade T. Hedgehog said:
Carnival Night Zone syndrome? What's that?

Haven't played your recent fix, but didn't I suggest adding vertical rows of rings? Or taking them out? They weren't obvious.

I did add vertical rings.

EDIT: ...How did I forget about that? That barrel drove me nuts!. I did it by jumping up and down, realy. Didn't know that up and down worked too.

My dad actually figured out the CNZ2 gimmick by himself, oddly enough.

EDIT: In all honesty, I am amazed at the scores I've been getting. Just wow. And has Dark Warrior been the only one to find all four buttons so far?

I've marked the right way to go in my level with starposts, BTW.
As for the toxic water, Limestone caves are formed by acid, you know.
@Blue Warrior's review of Techno Meadow, FREAKING LOL!

Okay, vote time!

Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 by SonicMaster 8/10
While this map wasn't perfect, I had a good sense of direction and was able to find the exit of each room easily. The gimmicks are also quite intesting, though I don't see this level being usable in a mod for much other than a hub level, still pretty nice.

Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos 3/10
At first, I felt restrained by the fact I could not go to the darker area beyond the thok-barrieresque wall, nice visuals, though. Then I got inside (more nice visuals) and was "treated" to a spikeball dodging, current riding gimmick. The spikeballs are also hard to see on the shallow water, I couldn't play much after that due to GAME OVERing on the current ride. I wanna be the guy difficulty + great visuals + linearity = 3.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64@yahoo.com 1/10
All levels deserve at least two of the three P's: Playability, Pathiness and Prettyness. This level has none of them. My first experience in this level was fighting about 6 red crawlas and a crawla commander in a jumbled rectangle with a mixture of GFZ and THZ textures, then, afterwards, I saw slime as high as the ground, with a lack of sector borders almost everywhere from that point on. A grassy wall with a grassy pool of water with AFALL on every edge of it. My next encounter with enemies was with about 8 crawla commanders. Not only that, but the emerald token location almost gave me a seizure with the way those textures were used, after that, I came across more different themes, a useless, poorly designed house you can go into, and no end in sight.

Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog 8/10
The only real problem with this level is that I couldn't beat it due to having no idea where I was going, everything else was brilliant.

<Kroze> CONTEST NEED MOAR BZ4
<Kroze> STOP THE FAIL

Elemental Mansion Zone Act 1 by SonicMaster - 3/10
Right off the bat, why are you including a gamedata in your measly, one map contest submission. You, sir, have some serious issues.

The major fault of the level was that the main style of level design was oriented towards platforms over death pit. That alone gives you a frustrating and unforgiving level, even if the difficulty isn't hard.

You also really didn't need all that space. There's a bunch of bland areas, despite how much detail you thought you packed in. The length is really more of a minus than a plus for me. It was frustrating enough going through the one time, so I'm not even going to bother going through to try to see the other parts of the level that will inevitably have the same faults over and over again.

I heard DW talking about a secret exit, or something like that. I honestly don't care, mainly because of your execution. The cut-away-view time was basically blindfolding me. After the camera went back to me, I was surprised to find myself falling. Into death pit.

Oh, and good luck with being elemental. You have only proved that you can recycle what's already made and call it something new. Have fun bragging!~

Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux - 6/10
I doubt that this will get counted anyhow, but I haven't said anything before, so-

The only problem about this level I can see is that you're not making up where 2D mode is lacking. For instance, instead of having a deathpit, you could replace that with a lower area that has a spring to send the player to a spot where they could retry said jump.

Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos - 3/10
At first, it was meh. Then it felt like you eventually stopped caring and just made the map out of long, bland passageways to fill up the map. Bad idea.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64@yahoo.com - 4/10
Somehow, even though this level did everything wrong, I enjoyed it. I dunno how, dunno why, although it probably had something to do with how (un)intuitive it was to find the exit.

Two things to remember for your next map. Firstly, interesting is better. That means jumps, and general non-flatness. Tiny passageways aren't always fun either. Secondly, it would be nice if it was clearer where I needed to go to finish. If you can change those, you'll surely have a better level.

Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead - 6/10
Not really bad, but there weren't too many redeeming qualities.

One thing you need to fix would be the skims. Bonking me while I'm trying to come out of the water is not fun.
Also, try using blue springs instead of yellow ones when you need to get out of the water.
A last note, the hurting-water inside the cave wasn't fun. The main problem was that where I fell in was too far from where to get out.

Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog - 8/10
The only thing I can possibly think of that I didn't like was the difficulty. I'm sure you know that, so I'm not going to waste time explaining why it was hard.

What I liked here was the treatment of gimmicks. You started out with each gimmick in a basic form, starting with a mild state in order to introduce the player to it. Then you gradually changed the gimmick and used it differently. Reminds me of Portal.

You're not at all flawed in your thinking, Rekk. I noticed these things too. However, I just decided to pick out the good points in the map(s) to try and figure out what they did right, rather than how badly they screwed it up. ;)

Whatever was good about the map was severely overshadowed by the explosion of poor level design... I couldn't find anything else to comment on, because it seemed to be the only thing there to talk about.

D:

I can understand that. The whole time I was playing, I kept thinking to myself, "Is this why I like Sonic?" I ended up judging it on the effort, though.

Here's some 1P votes. Rest coming soon.

Elemental Mansion - 5/10
Ok, the main reason behind the low score is the lag. It's far too easy for me to go flying of a platform into the lava/cold water/whatever and find a way out, only for it to happen again. Other wise, it don't look to bad. This type of level has been done before, though.

Magmacore zone - NA/NA
This level is hard because it's planned for a mod of mine, and it's the second to final zone. I'm sorry if some of you didn't know how to move the spin platforms.

Arid Oasis - 0/10
This is good, but I'm giving it a zero because it's been released before.

Limestone Ruin - 4/10
I've only played this in coop so far, and it's rather broken in it. There's a dead in path that's under water. I'll say more once I play it in 1P.

EDIT: Ok, I played it in 1P, and it's rather good. But some of the spike balls in the water slide is hard to see. And it's hard to dodge the robots right after the first checkpoint.

Techno Meadows - 1/10
The only reason you got a point at all is because it had a thok barrier.

Limestone Lake - 5/10
A bit cramped, and hard to find the exit. But not too bad.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
My dad actually figured out the CNZ2 gimmick by himself, oddly enough.

EDIT: In all honesty, I am amazed at the scores I've been getting. Just wow. And has Dark Warrior been the only one to find all four buttons so far?

I would never thought Carnival Night 2 would be possible to beat if I never saw that figured out on youtube.

Single Player:

Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 by SonicMaster -- Not Rated Yet
Framerate was too awful, in Software at 320x200, to play properly. I'll rate this when my computer isn't being retarded.

Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux -- 5/10
srb20421wb9.png

You see that spot there? You are certainly going to get hit by crawlas when you drop down. Not cool. On the plus side, you seem to have the gist of 2D levels down, but is this a Mario level or a Sonic level? It seems to have tried to be both and failed to do this. Try sticking to one theme, as Mario and Sonic levels are totally different from eachother. Also, please don't let enemies go back and forth in and out of the background. Use Fake Floors to stop this.

Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos -- an unfair 3/10
You get an extra point for cosmetics, then lose that same point when you put the unnatural looking fog outside of the thok barrier, and built the entrance to the ruins so illogically (not that the ruins are even ruined or anything). The reason my rating is so low is because the map was very bland, not super straightforward, and the water was just too murky to see where I was going, or where I was supposed to go. Spike balls didn't help.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64@yahoo.com -- 1/10
Epic. You should have called it "Limestone Meadows Zone" though.

Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead -- 5/10
Music = catchy. the level was pretty too, but a bit short. A few big issues though; the big lake was too hard to escape from, and the level was generally hard to move through. The cave in the middle was WAY too dark for Software, and I can only imagine it being worse in OpenGL. And finally, ENEMY OVERDRIVE MUCH?

Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog -- 6/10
Some unfair deaths (being unable to recover from crumbing block puzzles, for example), not enough checkpoints and a plethora of Poop-Up Turrets lowered the score. On the plus side, the visuals (except for that annoying pulsating lighting) were pretty good, and the level had a nice feel to it, even with the poor gimmicks here and there.

Two people are complaining about lag? Sigh. Makes me feel like I did all that work for nothing. I tried so hard to fix the framerate. I really did. I know about the No Sides water trick, the don't do too many FOF walls trick, and the one-sided linedefs trick. I employed all those techniques. Well, the computer I'm running is 933MHz in Software, and the framerate to me seems to be about 10-18 frames per second by my eye. (Is there actually a console command/anything that tracks framerate?) It was worse during production. I was satisfied with the framerate because at one time during playthrough, it was keeping quite up to speed. But the framerate seemed to clear up only on random sessions of SRB2.

Blue Warrior said:
BlueZero4 said:
Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos - 0/10
Already been released, lazy.

This is not a valid score. Mystic has already stated that the entry is qualified, as the previous release of Chaos's map was only for beta testing.

If you wish, I'll direct you to his post for more info.

http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?p=249418#249418

OBJECTION!

I just scoped out the topic BlueZero linked to and this...
Ice said:
I don't really think it's ban evasion. People that are banned can still enter the level design contest, and get criticism for their work. I don't see how posting Chaos's work to get some more criticism is any different. I mean it's not like Chaos is here, posting his words through me...
... was the only mention of the OLDC. No where in the topic did it say that the level was for the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back