Map Picture Question [XWE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX

Now 100% less jaded!
As the title says, I'm having a little trouble with the picture I captured and resized to use on the level select screen to represent my map.

The problem is that XWE either doesn't show it at all and thus causes it to SIGSEGV in the level select screen, or it does show it in perfect color, but when I enter the game, it either SIGSEGVs or shows it in inverted colors.

The picture type is BMP, and I do not have a working 2.0 palette to use for reference in XWE, which may be the main problem.

If anyone could help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

EDIT:: No, srb2.srb does not seem to work as a palette option. Just thought I'd clarify that before it was suggested.

Last edited:
Hmm ... I can not help too, I must go, but some observations that can maybe solve.

The lump containing the image must be named MAPXXP, "XX" is the card number.
The image must well be 160x100 size.

Hmm ... I can not help too, I must go, but some observations that can maybe solve.

The lump containing the image must be named MAPXXP, "XX" is the card number.
The image must well be 160x100 size.
Yeah, I got that much down. The size is fine and the name is too.

The problem is how the image is portrayed by XWE. Like I said, it either doesn't appear in XWE at all, or it appears as its normal colors; in which case, when portrayed in the game, all of the colors are inverted.

I found the problem ! The image of your level must be in JPG format !
EDIT : Yes, I think that's this. If it does not work, maybe you forgot to set the IWAD of XWE.

Last edited:
Did you direct the "IWAD" XWE uses to srb2.srb in your SRB2 2.0.6 folder, ZX?

And no, Internet Explorer, JPG is not the answer.

I found the problem ! The image of your level must be in JPG !
I had hoped that would do the trick, but...

2en0z9d.png

It appears fine in XWE, colors and all. But for some reason, the game inverts the colors, as is shown here.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Did you direct the "IWAD" XWE uses to srb2.srb in your SRB2 2.0.6 folder, ZX?

And no, Internet Explorer, JPG is not the answer.
I wanted to try to do that, but it didn't give me the option to do so when it was started, nor can I find said option anywhere in the menus.

It is strange ...
I think this is really a problem of IWAD... maybe the IWAD of SRB2Doom Builder, or XWE ... otherwise, I think it's an exception. I just made ​​50 times the handling on my computer with XWE properly configured, the image appears perfectly.
- Create a lump MAPXXP, choose in the menu "Entry ==> Replace" Choose image (160x100), crop the image, click the red cross : save file ? Yes.
Run your level with SRB2DB and look at the list level. If colors aren't good, it's a IWAD problem, I'm sure. Check them.

EDIT : I heard about "Save as Doom Flat" or something like this ... it could also be the cause.

It is strange ...
I think this is really a problem of IWAD... maybe the IWAD of SRB2Doom Builder, or XWE ... otherwise, I think it's an exception. I just made ​​50 times the handling on my computer with XWE properly configured, the image appears perfectly.
- Create a lump MAPXXP, choose in the menu "Entry ==> Replace" Choose image (160x100), crop the image, click the red cross : save file ? Yes.
Run your level with SRB2DB and look at the list level. If colors aren't good, that a problem IWAD, I'm sure. Check them.

EDIT : I heard about "Save as Doom Flat" or something like this ... it could also be the cause.
I'm almost positive that the problem lies within the current IWAD.

In which case, the problem is being able to choose the IWAD, which for some odd reason, I am unable to do. It doesn't display the box to choose upon starting, and there's nothing in the menus concerning it...

If I were you, I would convert the picture to Doom Graphic Format. That's the standard graphic type for all of SRB2's default sprites and map pictures. If that doesn't work, I have no clue what will.

I'm going to try re-installing it, once I find a working link...

EDIT: It worked! I reset the IWAD to 2.0.6's srb2.srb, used the .JPG image file, and there were no color errors or SIGSEGV issues. Phew!

Last edited:
Don't convert your images to JPG before putting it to XWE. It will make the picture lose quality and is an unnecessary step. XWE definitely converts BMPs properly and should convert PNGs properly. If you use XWE, just make sure you use the Load option and NOT the Load (raw data) option. I think SLADE handles PNG conversion better though, so you might want to try that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back