SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Levels (2.0.X)

SRB2: Oceanic Cove Zone v.2.0 Details »»
SRB2: Oceanic Cove Zone v.2.0
Version: 2.0, by 123 Runite (Wait for it... *BANG*) 123 Runite is offline
Developer Last Online: Nov 2010

Version: SRB2 Rating: (22 votes - 4.59 average)
Released: 05-08-2010 Last Update: Never Installs: 11
Single Player Levels SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

This is Oceanic Cove Zone (OCZ) for SRB2. Because of all the changes that have been made since the last release here (August 22, 2009), I have decided to name this v.2.0.

Some brief, and somewhat outdated, history of OCZ can be found here:

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
I would like to acknowledge all my netgame testers: <you know who you are> for testing and giving feedback of the level before this release.
Credit goes to Soundboard.com for ocean, cave, and seagull sound effects
Crappy seagull sprites by Senku Niola

ABOUT
Oceanic Cove has been in the works sometime since May of 2008, of course with long breaks in between. Originally, I have hoped to get it done for v.1.09; but with v.2.0 already out, this has to be ported in order to be continued. The first public release made it to the editing section of the SRB2 Message Board on Friday, August 21, 2009 (Build 6) and has received much criticism enough to futher my progress on OCZ. Soon after, I have changed many textures to fit the growing v.2.0 standards of aesthetics. Lag has been a main problem in the level, and although I have strongly opposed to splitting this into two acts, I have decided against my will to take such action for my own sanity. Even I have been troubled with handling the long waits of saving the level and testing this on my own computer. The entire level as a single act has taken about 5-15 minutes to save, depending on my computer's state. With the split edition, I have been able to cover more distance.

This level is long and massive, some areas may lag, so be forewarned (depends on system)! This level will require skill, endurance, and determination to get through with Sonic, especially. This was created with Sonic, or any other skin that behaves like Sonic, in mind. Tails, Knuckles, or any other character that behaves like them have been disregarded in the initial release of the level. Thus, Tails or Knuckles may not have a hard time getting through the level. On the contrary, although it was made for Sonic only, Tails and Knuckles have their own small secrets to find.

There are two emerald tokens in this level. If you're the type of person who likes finding secrets, then finding them will be a fun challenge for you. Collecting them, however, will be the real challenge. Not impossible, though, but difficult. This goes the same with emblems. There are two emblems for each character (STK) in this level (all in the so-called "Part 2" of OCZ). Finishing the act with an emerald token in possession will take you to a special stage, but a rather unique one: a merging of the concepts of the original SRB2 special stages with Mystic Realm's emerald stages. It will be like a regular stage, but you'll have to find a number of rings to get the emerald. This stage I still have to construct.

For many, it was tough controlling the character while platforming. I've included a script that expands your point of view (see console commands: cam_dist <value> and cam_height <value>). To expand your POV, simply press =. To set it back to its defaults, press -. Whenever the camera bugs up when modified, use the RESET CAMERA key. That is the only problem with the new feature.

KNOWN ISSUES
  1. Few rendering errors with the textures throughout the level.
  2. The level may lag terribly in netgames. Try the level in single player first, and then have fun in the netgame. If necessary, play at a smaller resolution.
  3. There is no blockmap in this level due to its size. Therefore, Crawlas may randomly fall over cliffs. Using "Block Monster" flag may resolve the issue, but areas with flying robots will also have them affected. In addition, you may collide into walls and seem to go through them a bit. These walls are walls knuckles can usually climb, but can't due to this fault. These were not intended to happen, but levels this huge will have such problems.
  4. Switches, when pressed, lowers the zoom tube pipe. However, at times, you may not enter the zoom tube automatically as intended unless you move around in the pipe.
  5. Direction of upward and downward currents are not intended

CHANGELOG
See the MAINCFG lump in the wad if you're interested in a list of changes for each version.

CLOSING

Good luck running through the level, and I hope you have fun while you're at it. Feedback is GREATLY appreciated, positive and negative. But, if trying to make a point, do be constructive.

RELEASE
Current build: Saturday, May 8, 2010 ~ BUILD 10, Version 2.0

Screenshots of OCZ and the level itself are available as attachments below.

MIRROR: I've provided a mirror for the wad here.

Highend edition of OCZ is only available now until any bugs are found. I'll upload a less-laggy version of OCZ soon. Until then, if it lags, play with a smaller video resolution.

Download Now

File Type: zip scr_oceaniccove_b10-highend.zip (4.59 MB, 2688 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20207.jpg
Views:	1760
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	687   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20208.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	688   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20211.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	689   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20212.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	690   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20214.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	692  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20217.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	693   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20218.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	694   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20213.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	695  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 01-21-2011   #42
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

Waitaminute, the "secrets" your refering to are like, what, shields and stuff, or secret rooms with tokens or something or some special visual? I haven't found anything like that on my run...
Old 01-21-2011   #43
Alex2608

Yep there is alot of secrets in this map. That is why it is my favorite zone of all. You just need to explore more. When playing as sonic secret are harder to reach since he can't fly/climb/glide but he can discover them with the help from the helpful whirlwind shield (white) and that he doesn't get hurt after getting it.
Old 01-21-2011   #44
Thompson
Endokukennnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Rawr View Post
Waitaminute, the "secrets" your refering to are like, what, shields and stuff, or secret rooms with tokens or something or some special visual? I haven't found anything like that on my run...
I usually refer 'secrets' as hidden items.
Old 02-21-2011   #45
Nereo

Really neat, but the lag sucks!! ='(
Old 02-21-2011   #46
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

Y'know, I just played it again a while ago...
I had no lag. I have no idea what did I do diffrently this time. So I've got to explore more of the level... It's awsome. Also, can anyone tell me what do I do in the part where if you click a switch, some platforms start moving to let you get to a flipping gravity monitor, and then if you turn around the green platform is "rising" (when flipped it looks like rising, on normal its actually... "sinking"? Dunno how to say that in English). So I stood on it but... didn't spot anything to go to. Help? I'm talking about Act 2, by the way.
Edit: WAITWAT. This level also has tokens?! For some reason, I'm guessing that's where the gravity flipped platform was leading to! Yay, more stuff to explore! I'm loving this level!
Edit2: Heh my vote just raised this to 5 stars. Yay?

Last edited by Metal-Rawr; 02-21-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2011   #47
Alex2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Rawr View Post
Can anyone tell me what do I do in the part where if you click a switch, some platforms start moving to let you get to a flipping gravity monitor, and then if you turn around the green platform is "rising" (when flipped it looks like rising, on normal its actually... "sinking"? Dunno how to say that in English). So I stood on it but... didn't spot anything to go to. Help? I'm talking about Act 2, by the way.
Edit: WAITWAT. This level also has tokens?! For some reason, I'm guessing that's where the gravity flipped platform was leading to! Yay, more stuff to explore! I'm loving this level!
Actually no that doesn't lead to a token, it leads to a "nuke" shield (in dark room) and another switch that will open a secret door. However, your on the right track to collect the tokens.

When you have collected the gravity boots, step on the green platform as fast as you can and turn around facicing the wall. When raised enough you should be able to continue as usual but since you are in reverse gravity you can go straight instead of usualy turning right. Follow this path as fast as possible before the gravity boots wear off untill you see the switch below you and a dark room on a higher platform.

Each time I play this level I find new stuff so keep exploring to find secrets and how to figure how to reach them as sonic since they all can be reached by sonic (so far for me).
Old 06-23-2012   #48
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Just because good things come back.... :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15ANeHAoUo
Old 08-27-2012   #49
PieOnPot

This level was/is simply amazing! A few friends and I were having a blast playing it over the last weekend.

Alas, we ended up crashing a ways into the second stage (T_T) - but wow, this map is simply awesome.

Totally looking forward to trying it more later - thanks!
Old 09-19-2012   #50
Netro

This was a very good level, it had good level design, plenty of places to explore if you get off track, and it was really fun. My only problems with it is that there are too many slippery parts, which was very irritating but tolerable, there is also a bug in which when I load it up, any level I play starts playing the ring get sound constantly so I have to turn off the sound effects to actually play it without going insane. It's probably my second favorite level for single player yet.
Old 09-19-2012   #51
The means
شادو المقوى

It's very nice level i've try it but u need to complete it.U have to make other maps, Because it will be very cool when theres so many maps in single player and in multiplayer mode , THANK YOU AGAIN

(The means received an infraction for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)
Old 09-20-2012   #52
PieOnPot

Netro, if you use the community build it will fix the constant "ring" sound:
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=35949

Just curious - what was your favorite level for single player?

For me, Oceanic Cove is (without a doubt) my favorite level of all time -- my friends and I had (and have) a blast playing together on it ^^.
Old 09-21-2012   #53
En-Joysticker

Omg great and the musİc İs godlİke lolololoool

(En-Joysticker received a warning for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)
Old 10-01-2012   #54
Cyum
Conquistador Le Crap

The update to oceanic cove is one of the best i'll every see of an update, although slow at some parts for computers when at certain spots (Examples: Xp, Some Vista computers). Overall i'm flat out impressed on this update.
Trackmania United:The Dark One
YouTube
X Project 2013
Old 10-01-2012   #55
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I don't think I've posted on this topic yet, but I gotta say, this level is amazing. I remember seeing it in its very early stages quite a while back, and even then I could tell that it was bound to make an impact on the community. And it has. This is one of the biggest and most expansive levels ever made, and exploring its every nook and cranny is a real treat. How you managed to make SUCH a big level with consistently interesting level architecture and fun gameplay is beyond me. Sure, there's not much there in terms of gameplay innovation, but I don't think that's the point. It certainly doesn't stop it from being one of the best levels I've ever played, and a constant source of inspiration for my own levels. You may never see my post, since you've haven't returned in quite a while, but I just wanna give you some major props 123Runite. Great work!
Old 10-23-2012   #56
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

It does lag alot on my computer, but that could mean that this level has been well put together and has a lot of detail, dosen't Castle Eggman Zone 2 lag a lot two at the mace swinging part. I would never be able to build a level like this. Some suggestions though. You should look in the joining and meging sectors tutorial found on the Srb2 Wiki. I hear it helps improve frame rate of levels. I can't wait to see other levels you whip up.

Spoiler:
Clearly, I controlled your mind to make you open this spoiler box. You cant resist my power!! I shall control your mind. ^_^