RSTH V1.30.99-Rebirth GHZ Act 1-3+ FINAL Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate

a scar in time...
Rebirth Sonic the Hedgehog V1.30.99
-I would like to thank Sonic Destiny, for his unending kindness and willingness to put up with my constant questions.
-Thank you Bobbla for your amazing motobug sprites ^^
-Thank you Monster Iestyn for posting the sprites and GHZ shrub ^^
-Thank you Flame_the_hedgehog and Torgo ^^

My personal 'morals' on playing these levels:

- THESE STAGES WERE DESIGNED FOR SONIC ONLY! You can use the other characters if you want, but I'll consider it the easy way out if you do...unless it's just for fun :P
-Sonic's thok can be used to get around faster, but if you use it to get past obstacles, I'll consider that the easy way out as well ^^
-No skipping of blue stones across vast lengths of water!
-If you're wondering what the reason for this is, it's because it's modeled after Sonic 1 ^^

RebirthGHZ01Picture1.jpg

RebirthGHZ01Picture2.jpg

WOOT! act 3 is so fun! I ACTUALLY BEAT IT!!!
Rebirth Sonic the Hedgehog V1.30.9
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/887RSTH.wad

Mirror:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4d9n31

This video of Act 3 is now finished!!! Please leave comments and feedback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N0RWYBmkoE

First thing is that I noticed is that you have a large sector outside of act 1 that doesn't serve any purpose. You should delete that sector. Make sure you use linedef mode to delete it since it seems to be connected to another sector for some reason. The width of some of the paths for act 1 where not wide enough for sonic to have any freedom of movement. Act 2 was better in the wide paths, but still had a problem. Those pillars that go up and down in act 2 should be larger. I found my self overshooting them a couple of times.

When I looked at your crabmeat wad, I noticed that you had 2 sets of S_START and S_END. This is not needed, you can put all your enemies in between one S_START and S_END. As for putting it in the level wad, just put all the stuff that is in crabmeat.wad at the end of all the lumps of the level wad, just make sure you fix the S_START and S_END issue first. http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Enemy_Creation_Guide <- This might help you if you have other questions about creating enemies.

Thank you for the feedback Torgo ^^ and the enemy creation link. I will make sure to fix that S_START/END issue before anything else.

Oh my goodness! I forgot all about that giant sector outside of Act 1 xD!
I will delete it right away.

I wanted to expand Act 1 earlier to reduce crampedness, but at that time I didn't know how to do it without messing up the entire map, but now I do, so I definitely will.^^

I'll make the pillars in act 2 just a little bit bigger. Also, for 2 of those 3 jumps you I don't even use the pillars ^^ (like in the original).

Has anyone found the emerald in act 2 yet? (without looking at the wad or cheating with tails/knuckles)

I like it, but I noticed it seems very similar to the unlockable green hill level from SA2B..

I never even played it o.o

It's probably similar because sega and I....both modeled it after the same level xD
I don't think Sega ever came out with a 3D Act 2, so that for sure has no relation ^^

They shouldn't bounce, they should maybe move up and down a pixel or two but not bounce.

LOL! You're right. I never actually looked at it in game. Didn't think they were moving over such a large gap xD.

Should I just have them not bounce at all? That would be simplest.

Ultimate said:
I never even played it o.o

It's probably similar because sega and I....both modeled it after the same level xD
I don't think Sega ever came out with a 3D Act 2, so that for sure has no relation ^^

Yes, SA2 Green Hill is intentionally designed after GHZ1 (though it was missing the Motobugs and flying chameleon things). Whether you aim to copy it or not, that's more or less going to be your end result. ;)

A lot of the things are in the same place/VERY similar to SA2's green hill. The first sector at the beginning of act 1 is like SA2's. Anyway I think this is a very nice level, and I enjoyed it a lot. I find one part to pretty hard with sonic, and if I make it the buzz enemies knock me off and kill me. But overall, I enjoyed it.
9/10

=P

Yay! Feedback! Thank you jelly, I'm glad you liked it ^^. Those buzz's got me a few times as well ^^"

Thank you hyper ^^

Has anyone found both emeralds without looking at wad or using knuckles/tails?

Quit it with the fake slopes; they lag, and they're ugly to look at. Yes, GFZ2 lags at that part for me.

Anyway, bringing back Green Hill Zone really isn't all that original or interesting. Not to mention that the level design is simply just...OK. More open space on the sides for me to run around would be for the better. And might I suggest trying to recreate the sky by using sectors rather than importing it? That would look a lot better.

Also, the gigantic open water sector does not look very nice.

Quit it with the fake slopes; they lag, and they're ugly to look at. Yes, GFZ2 lags at that part for me.

OH! THAT'S why it lags? Alright, I will definitely get rid of that slope. I'll just place a spring there instead xD

Also, the big open water sector is either going to stay water, or be a gigantic field of spikes. Those are the only two designs which match with the original. I thought blue water looks more nice than a field of spikes, but how would you guys feel about a gigantic field of spikes?
(Also, at least on my comp, the open water area looks very nice...oceany...blue ^^)

About the sky, I really wanted to change that as well, but I'm still extremely new at WADding, SOCing, and XWEing, so I honestly don't know how to make it look better ^^"

Help wanted/needed. Torgo changed the sky for me once, but then the music changed, so I had to put in a level header and I couldn't find the right sky again ^^"

Anyway, bringing back Green Hill Zone really isn't all that original or interesting.
Lastly, I didn't remake Green Hill Zone in 3D to be original. lol
As for the interesting part, I just wanted to make Sonic the Hedgehog in 3D because those levels are my favorite, Green Hill Zone being the favorite of the favorites. I just wanted to play them and make them because I just love the level. I just post it here for anyone else who might enjoy it ^^

Also, putting literally 1000 spikes in one area will also lag. That really was actually your primary source of lag, but fake slopes can give a bit of lag. Fake slopes are also quite effective at increasing the filesize, especially if there are a lot of sectors (e.g., 1000 sectors), then the REJECT lump starts soaring into epic proportions. Fake steep slopes also don't look very nice usually, especially with the checkerboard textures and texture misalignment. Sometimes I'd run into the steep one, and it would stop me dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back