New mt map - "River Cliffs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spazzo said:
Wow, that's one nicely detailed description file. I'd like it if I could see all map releases to be this organized...

Nicely done. It's a bit sparse in rings, but it's otherwise very well done. I'll be watching over for more of your work.
What he said.

Logan_GBA said:
http://files.filefront.com/mt+rivercliffszip/;8341174;;/fileinfo.html correct link

Yes. This link should work.

Also there are a few trees with secret areas. Three to be exact.

I only have released one doom level I made three years back, and it's not very good. It's mediocre.

I started to work on a doom megawad called Lost City II, and was going to be a very impressive project, but I stopped working on it because it was too ambitious and I had trouble with the features that source ports supported at the time. I can show you screenshots of that if you really wanted.

I then started to make chex quest levels, one in particular called Chex City (I have a thing for city levels), which you can find at chexquest.org. It is still a work in progress.

Great level, awesome choice of music. One thing, though. I think it would spice it up a bit if you added a current to the water. I mean, it would really go with the whole "river" thing. I like the waterfall sounds, too, but is it possible to make them quieter? It got a bit obnoxious after a while.

Maybe I did go overboard with the water sounds. I'm on pretty old speakers right now and they're worn out, so I probably didn't notice. They're kind of weird too, certain sounds they muffle, others they don't.

Yeah, the music is darn rad though.

You really think I should add a current? I've never done anything like this before. I could probably figure it out though. I'll look into it, but it's not guaranteed that I'll put it in this level. In a future level, for sure though. Thanks a lot for the idea! :)

I'm still thinking I should make a series of five or six similar levels and put them in a pack for release. Anyone else think I should do that?

A level pack wouldn't be bad, you could find out where the river goes! Also, a current can be accomplished with a special type of FOF. It's pretty neat, actually.

Actually, currents aren't made with FOFs at all. I think what you mean, is that they're made with a control sector.

It's explained in the SRB2 Wiki and the specials list.

But you apply currents to FOFs, using the term FOF loosely. Also, another suggestion, Unless you didn't due to technical difficulties or something, make the top fall of the waterfall an actual water block instead of a texture.

Segmint said:
It depends on what you mean. What type of "series" would you be using?

I don't understand your question. I was thinking of making a few similar style levels, and then releasing a level pack.

BriGuy92 said:
you could find out where the river goes!

Nice idea. Interesting concept.

I just played it (On a mac not PC) and it's really really good. Not allot of rings but still very good. (Although on SRB2 mac the water doesn't move >_<)

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe it's the Doom engine I'm seeing this in. It's beautiful but it's also structured well.

Wow.

Holy flying ****, that's an awesome first level. So this is the sort of work I would've seen had I actually had the gut to check out the Doom scene, huh? ;)

Especially for a Doom-based mapper (I'm assuming), you grasped the Sonic mechanics pretty well. One thing (and I'm surprised nobody thought of this:) wider ledges make for a more natural gameplay in Sonic. Since you move a lot and run really fast, more ground = easier to run. I find it's also a good thing to intentionally limit the ease, though, but "wider ledges" is a general rule of mine. MAP90 is a good example (and I guess that's what we have large maps for!) The layout is absolutely superb, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back