• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sometimes Duck makes stuff in lua I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HastyEvergreenIberianbarbel.gif

i made pong.
Why not making Breakout-Pong with two balls?

I'm not gonna be working on pong.wad anymore, it was something I made for fun and don't care about anymore. I'd rather work on something more important.

Working on a new project!

Energy Shield:
ReasonableIncomparableDuckbillplatypus.gif

Warp Shield:
BlushingTinyAssassinbug.gif

If you collect both, they combine into the Energy Warp Shield:
SpicyConstantHen.gif

I plan on creating 5 shields, each being able to combine with one other shield for a whopping 20 unique shields. Now that I actually type that out, I might only do 4 shields (12 unique combo shields)

If you have any shield ideas, feel free to let me know! I don't plan on adding any elemental resistances to them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on creating 5 shields, each being able to combine with one other shield for a whopping 20 unique shields. Now that I actually type that out, I might only do 4 shields (12 unique combo shields)
...Will they be for free use (if credit is given) in levels and such (not ones that would enter the OLDC)?

If you have any shield ideas, feel free to let me know!
Hm. Maybe a sort of... ring shield, which whenever one destroys enemies grants one ring? No idea how that would work out. The number of rings per enemy might need to be adjusted. One ring might be too little, but 5 is definitely too much.
I'd say 1, 2 or 3 per enemy, however it's for you to decide, if you'll even make this shield in the first place. It might be an idea to make it so you get one ring more per enemy with the ring shield alone than with a combined ring shield.

...Will they be for free use (if credit is given) in levels and such (not ones that would enter the OLDC)?

Hm. Maybe a sort of... ring shield, which whenever one destroys enemies grants one ring? No idea how that would work out. The number of rings per enemy might need to be adjusted. One ring might be too little, but 5 is definitely too much.
I'd say 1, 2 or 3 per enemy, however it's for you to decide, if you'll even make this shield in the first place. It might be an idea to make it so you get one ring more per enemy with the ring shield alone than with a combined ring shield.

I don't think I'll be making them free to use yet. I plan on using them for my own projects before I make them publicly available.

As for the ring shield, that sounds like a good idea, although I don't know what it could look like and I don't know what kind of air ability it should have.

Because of the Perfect Bonus mechanics, it's not a particularly good idea to make a powerup that generates extra rings, unless you're planning on using NoPerfectBonus for your entire mod.

Seeing original shield designs is really neat, but I think the individual warp and energy shields are a bit boring, since the warp shield is essentially just a buffed whirlwind and the energy shield seems almost useless as a projectile and only really useful as a brake. The combined shield looks like a ton of fun, though. How does it control, though? Jump spin spin?

I don't think I'll be making them free to use yet. I plan on using them for my own projects before I make them publicly available.
Alright. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

As for the ring shield, that sounds like a good idea, although I don't know what it could look like and I don't know what kind of air ability it should have.
I didn't mention an air ability in the first place, mostly because the ring shield wouldn't need one. Shields don't need an air ability. The Pity shield doesn't count as example here. But the Attraction shield's ability, ring-drawing, is passive, and the Force shield's ability, double shield, is also passive. Neither of those shields have an air ability.

The ring shield's ability, enemy-pops-to-rings, would also be passive. When combined with other shields, it would give one ring less per enemy, and have the other shield's air ability, though slightly nerfed to avoid one shield getting a direct upgrade by being combined with another.

And about looks, maybe one or two giant rings spinning around the player (similarly to the Armageddon shield's ring thingies)?

Although perfect bonuses could be a problem, as Mystic said...

Gonna have to agree with Mystic about the warp shield, though I DO like how it can phase through FOF's. That's useful. If by chance you could make the warp shield shoot you higher into the air, that'd be neat. I can see the projectile working though.

How about a decoy shield? One that plants a dummy of the player that AI are attracted to, and turns you invisible so you can hit them? Would be useful for pesky enemies like the Egg Guards, or if there's a hoard of Buzzes you could plant a dummy and run away.

Hell just a shield that makes you turn invisible from enemies would be neat. Then your hazards would be just avoiding spikes and the like.

Because of the Perfect Bonus mechanics, it's not a particularly good idea to make a powerup that generates extra rings, unless you're planning on using NoPerfectBonus for your entire mod.

Seeing original shield designs is really neat, but I think the individual warp and energy shields are a bit boring, since the warp shield is essentially just a buffed whirlwind and the energy shield seems almost useless as a projectile and only really useful as a brake. The combined shield looks like a ton of fun, though. How does it control, though? Jump spin spin?

At the moment, it automatically teleports you once the projectile dies

Also, about the individual shields, I wanted to keep them relatively simple so they would combine nicely. If 2 complicated shields were fused, they would be kind of difficult to understand. Also, the reason the warp shield is so similar to the whirlwind shield is because the original idea (teleporting forwards) was causing the player to get crushed by the thok barrier and allowed the player to enter control sectors.

Two suggestions: First, I'd make the Warp Shield cyan (or at least not white) to make it more unique, since the Whirlwind Shield is already white. Second, you should make it so that if you're holding jump and press spin, you warp upward, but if you just press spin, you warp downward (would make for nice gimmicks in custom levels).

Also, how about a shield that, when pressing spin in midair, boosts you forward at a certain speed and makes you hover for about a second (erasing all previous momentum), and continuously fires a laser below you while hovering? If combined with the Warp Shield, this could make you instantly teleport to the ground and have some kind of shockwave upon landing, and if combined with the Energy Shield, could maybe fire 4 energy balls in a plus pattern and have the laser, its drawback being that the hover would be stationary.

Last edited:
The energy shield seems neat, although the projectile itself needs to be more useful somehow. Maybe something like the BFG9000 from Doom would be handy already.

PositiveMenacingDowitcher.gif

Changed the graphics for the Warp Shield and the Energy Warp Shield. Also, the Energy Warp shield now gives you as much vertical mobility as the standard Warp Shield! I'll probably recolor the old Warp Shield graphic for later.

EDIT: I made gotta go fast shield with no name yet. When you use it, you gain brief invincibility for 28 frames, which will probably be used to cross through lava falls and such. Next, I will make the combinations for it.

CarefreeFemaleColt.gif

I made gotta go fast shield with no name yet. When you use it, you gain brief invincibility for 28 frames, which will probably be used to cross through lava falls and such. Next, I will make the combinations for it.

CarefreeFemaleColt.gif
What's about Super Thok Shield?

The Dash Shield, Boost Shield or Propel Shield, perhaps.

Though the "Thok Shield" combinations would be interesting. Perhaps the Energy-Thok could have a wider range for destroying badniks or something (Seems a bit boring though! Hm.), while the Warp-Thok could be a sort of "Chaos Control" like ability, charging forward at a constant speed for [x time] while completely invincible (and invisible/transparent)?

Just a few ideas.

FamousDecisiveDavidstiger.gif

Started work on actual monitors! The graphics for them might not be final, but for now they'll work.

EDIT: Added all 3!

DismalQuestionableBronco.gif

EDIT 2: Added hud thing!

InsecureThriftyHanumanmonkey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back