Would a remake of the House maps be allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninten-The-Fox

WoodMan-The-Fox
As we know, House23 has had a ton of people work on it, so many in fact that its impossible to post a build here due to so many creators being ambiguous, lacking permission. I learned this awhile ago when I ported and touched up House23 for 2.1. The idea occurred to me recently, however. Would a map that features all the ideas House had, however remade from scratch and given new designs and features be able to be posted in Releases? I would like to know before I start work on it. This would mean the things like the beach, temple, house, and most everything from the original House series, however they would be remade from the ground up and given new designs, aesthetics, and features. As neat as an idea that would be, it would not pick up a lot of traction on YouTube or Discord. It would also most likely go under a different name, such as "Emerald Mansion" rather than "Hyper House," although the House series would be cited for heavy inspiration.

Last edited:
The House series may have been popular on the Master Server, but unfortunately it holds no purpose on here besides an easy to find download link of the level. It's just basic and large hangout maps with very little objective besides sitting around and chatting or roleplay... which doesn't sit very well with the community beyond the Master Server. I honestly think these levels are just... anti-SRB2. Hell, they're anti-Doom if you really think about it. Levels aren't meant to be sat around in with nothing to do (that's what flash animations are for), they're meant to be cleared, explored and *then* cleared.

Levels aren't meant to be sat around in with nothing to do.

They're meant for Roleplaying / Casual games, House doesn't achieve that very well, there's little to nothing to do besides stare at each other and talk, If anyone were to recreate it there should be more things to interact with, Such as say stores, Minigames, Objectives ... etc

Check out ZDCity for ZDaemon for instance, a great example of how Hangout mods should be.

Last edited:
Guys you're answering the wrong question, Ninten's just asking if the release would be allowed on the MB or not.

Which is probably yes, since 1) we don't reject hangout type maps anymore unlike in the past (though IIRC they're supposed to have an exit or something if they're SP, perhaps other judges can clear that up for me) and 2) being a new map based on House means there's no problems regarding authorship, since you (Ninten) would be the author.

Alright, cool. And tbh, I know that House is, for the most part, pretty empty, hence why the mod would not be exactly like House. A good remedy of the problem of no objectives would be to add some mini-stages thru warps, or if I'm willing to go the extra mile, perhaps a quest system based on SF94. Along the map would also be ringslinger weapons scattered throughout, with the ability to play all the maps in Match and the like.

Alright, cool. And tbh, I know that House is, for the most part, pretty empty, hence why the mod would not be exactly like House. A good remedy of the problem of no objectives would be to add some mini-stages thru warps, or if I'm willing to go the extra mile, perhaps a quest system based on SF94. Along the map would also be ringslinger weapons scattered throughout, with the ability to play all the maps in Match and the like.

Not a judge/staff, but chances are that this would be able to make it for releases. The needs-exit rule simply ensures that the map has an actual objective. However, it was made during a time when it wasn't really possible to create good sandbox maps and when the master server had severe quality control issues -- now with 2.1's feature set and the extensive modding capability provided by lua, a large sandbox map could have some actual merit, especially if it were structured with a sort of a MMO style of objective-based gameplay in mind.

Basically, we want everything released to be a "game" of some kind. If you want to release a hangout map on the SRB2MB, it needs to have some kind of objective or gameplay purpose beyond just being a chat room.

House honestly made my v1.09.4 childhood, haha.
But growing up I realize how tremendously flawed it is,
I’d be super hyped for something like House that has an actual objective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back