New Netgame Launcher - Updated 21 Jul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogaland

srb2mslaunch2.png

NOTE: This launcher does not work with the current version of the game.
Download Link (21 July 2009) - Requires .NET Framework 2.0

Update 21 July 2009: No more crashes with SRB2ME.
Update 02 July 2009: Thanks to MattW_CFI for bug fixes.

This is a simple utility for connecting to SRB2 netgames. It could use some improvement, but it does what it's meant to do.

Here's an excerpt from the readme:

This was created mostly to give me a quick introduction to .NET programming. I hope it's useful.

Grey servers are full, blue servers are modified. Hover over a server for the current map number and a list of wads. You can register an executable for each version, so for example you can register SRB2JTE.EXE with 1.69.10, and SRB2JTE games will automatically use that binary.

Future updates will probably be limited to bug-fixes, unless somebody suggests something spectacularly useful and easy to implement. Do feel free to try, though. :P We're at version 2.x already because of my old VB6 launcher, in case you're wondering.
Please let me know if there are any problems, or if you have any suggestions. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice, Oogaland. However, it's a bit weird to have every server list SRB2 files (sonic.plr, bomb.wpn, etc.). Any chance you can make a version which only shows the external wads that have been added?

EDIT: I've also noticed that there is no way to join a server by IP. Any way you can add a "Join by IP" button?

I'll test it out once my mom's computer's internet starts working.(Darn DSL guy didn't show up today) Altough, it looks like a very nice Launcher. But like Spazzo says, if you only showed the external files, it would save space.

Spazzo said:
Looks nice, Oogaland. However, it's a bit weird to have every server list SRB2 files (sonic.plr, bomb.wpn, etc.). Any chance you can make a version which only shows the external wads that have been added?

EDIT: I've also noticed that there is no way to join a server by IP. Any way you can add a "Join by IP" button?

A "Show only added external files" button. :P

I don't really care for the extra features. This exe works, and since the only options I ever use is -opengl, then I'm good.

Having a backup plan of warning people to set up the exe first, and loading the browse window up, was a great idea.

I seem to be getting some sort of error. Whenever I try refreshing the netgame list, it says "Bad Packet.", and no servers show up, even when some are up on the MS.

EDIT: It seems to have fixed itself. Weird...

EDIT2: ...it broke again. Why does it keep on doing this?

Spazzo said:
I seem to be getting some sort of error. Whenever I try refreshing the netgame list, it says "Bad Packet.", and no servers show up, even when some are up on the MS.

EDIT: It seems to have fixed itself. Weird...

EDIT2: ...it broke again. Why does it keep on doing this?
It's a bug in the masterserver. Try doing LISTSERV in SRB2 when you get this error; it'll say "could not retrieve server list" or some such, but by this point it's already got most of the list. I've fixed the handling of it in the latest (not-yet-released) version, so that it displays what it can rather than giving up entirely.

There's also a crash that occurs in some circumstances when people haven't forwarded their ports. I think I've fixed it, but I need to wait for one such server to be running to test it. Once I've made sure it's working, I'll release a new version, with joining by IP, optional showing of the default wads and other small bits and pieces. And that'll probably be where I'll leave it.

Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: As soon as I'd posted this, I tested it again, and sure enough, there was a server running that caused the problem, and I was able to demonstrate that the fix had indeed worked. I've updated the first post with details and a new link, but you can download the updated version here if you're impatient. I'll replace the screenshot when there are sufficiently many servers running.

This SRB2MS launcher is great.

I got an idea what you can put in. In the netgames that hads been modified, show the wads that the host added. So that we don't get that "you don't have this wad" error.

I just thought of a great idea for this launcher.

When you move the mouse over a netgame with wads added, it should tell you if you have, or do not have the wads the server has added. It should also tell you if your wads have the wrong md5sum.

This is so much quicker then joining ingame, plus you don't have to worry about some servers not showing up when there is 10+ servers up.

However, I noticed that sometimes when you join a netgame, you end up with the host's color(not sure if this a SRB2 bug or not, but it should be pointed out that this "bug" can't be done ingame).

In case SRB2 ever becomes ridiculously popular (unlikely, really..), the launcher should have gametype and version filters. Possibly a filter to get rid of full games and empty games, as well.
One more thing, instead of using color coding for modified servers, there should be a "WADS" column that is either blank or has a check or something in it.
Edit: Ooh, a really nice feature would be to check to see if it can find any wads on a specific database and download them if they're required to join the game. Think you can do that..?

If we had a database that didn't use random numbers and letters to decide what your downloading, sure. Now if it was like "download.php?wadname.wad", then it would work.

The Net Luancher won't work for me, it says...

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)."

What does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back