SRB2JTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! Pwnage. :P
I have been waiting for SRB2JTE to be updated for ages.
Stupid CBLEFT and CBRIGHT! All your fault we couldn't enjoy the happiness of SRB2JTE!

Jason the Echidna said:
The player abilities are fully functioning despite the new character editing perameters available, though they no longer flash when super and I haven't gotten around to making Shadow's entire body golden rather then just his spike line thingys.

JTEBots are fixed as well, after several hours of work making them take up regular player slots rather then having their own array... Thus, they're currently on the scoreboard, keep people from joining if you add too many, and for some reason they always insist on respawning at the normal player spawnpoints despite spawning behind you normally when you first add them... Until I can get them to NOT use the normal spawnpoints in co-op, I won't try making them work well in other game modes, sorry.

OMG! ZOMBIE!! *shoots zombie JTE*

JTE do you think can keep the bots witch follow you as well as adding in the bots that act like players.

Bouncey, I'm completely rewriting them right now. From scratch. Everything has gone out the window. Bots truely are nothing more then normal players at the moment, they even screw up netstat because it thinks they're lagging players 'cause they're not sending anything over the network or something like that.

In co-op, bots will stupidly follow the player who added them, as usual. They will NOT gather rings, kill enemies, etc. on purpose and flyme is gone as well.

In time-only race, I have two ideas for what to do in my head.
  1. Bots will try to follow a path I'll lay out in the maps for them. If I do it this way, the paths will be stored in seperate, optional lumps and I will include those lumps for the normal SRB2 levels (and possibly Mystic Realm) in SRB2JTE. If those lumps do not exist, the bots will stupidly try to run directly to the exit signpost.
  2. Bots will try to get ahead of the player closest to the finish line, but wait for that player to show them the way as well. If I do it this way, they will keep a path of which sectors the player has been in since the map start and try to predict which sector they'll go in next.
Either way, they will have trouble with FOFs and probably won't be much of a challenge. But I'll do my best.

In Sonic 2 race, bots will run around attacking enemies and gathering rings, always going after the one that is closest to them that they can see. If they can't see anything around them, they will revert to whichever time-only race AI I make until they spot something.

In circuit mode, I'll do the same as time only race, except make it start following the path over when it reaches the exit sector, of course, and try to shoot at players if the ringslinger's turned on.

In match, bots will run around gathering rings until they have over 20, only shooting at people if they get too close for comfort and have more then 1 ring. When they have gathered 20 or more rings, they will switch to total offense and run around trying to hit people. If they get hit, they will gather at least two rings, shoot the closest person (who will most likely be the one who shot them), then switch back to passive ring gathering mode.

In tag, bots will run away from everyone until they are "It", thus avoiding falling into groups, though they may still get trapped against a high wall here and there. Then they will revert to match mode AI until they have tagged someone.

In chaos, bots will run around killing (or trying to kill) the closest enemy, even if they shouldn't even be able to see it. Duh. :P

While I totally fail at coding bots jumping on enemies, I'm fairly certain I can make them aim that ringslinger well. If nothing more then give them perfect rail ring accuracy, mwahahahaha.

Mind you, this is all what I will try to do. I have done nothing yet, this is merely what I am hoping to accomplish. Feel free to suggest alternate ways to go about competing in a certain mode or flame me for making them completely useless in co-op, I probably won't listen. No word on the evil pie, SA City, or SRB2 Universe additions as of yet. Super Mystic Sonic, you are now doing nothing more then making yourself look like even more of a dumbass.

Not sure... I may leave team games out of the mix altogether. CTF seems to have 4 modes the bots can be in, so you'll have to somehow tell them which mode you want them to be in individually. They are as follows:
  • Offense: Try to get the enemy flag and bring it back to base, trying to dodge everything and not stopping to fight at all until the flag is captured. If the bot gets hit, it will immediately attempt to grab the flag before gathering rings or anything. The bots will probably need you to cover them if you put them in this mode. If a teammate grabs the flag, it will switch to follow mode and follow them back to base. (See 'Follow' below.)
  • Defence: Gather rings and guard your team's flag with your life and your ringslinger. If the enemy manages to grab the flag, hunt them down and kill them, not stopping for anything else unless you get hit and need to gather a ring or two. When they drop the flag, grab it and return to base.
  • Follow: Follow the person who added you and guard them with your life. If you see anyone of the other team, shoot them, but keep following the flag carrier.
  • Roam: Normal deathmatch AI, except only paying attention to the other team. Switch to follow mode if a flag carrier is passing by, but don't stay with them if they get close to their base.

How about an active pathfinding thingy that records paths the bot takes as he explores new levels without a defined path? Then next time the level is loaded, it knows the best path to go.

SRB2-Playah, would you like having to watch the bot stupidly wander around the same level over and over again trying to find the exit before it is anything of a challenge? It follows the player because the player knows where to go. I may make it record the paths any players take in co-op and race and either choose one at random or try and determine the shortest of them and only save that one, though, so it's not always completely clueless...

Maybe in coop when a crawla comes near you the bot will come in front of the crawla so the bot will die instead of you.

Crawlas go right through dead people, silly. And it's "die"... The bot will DIE. Unless you mean to say that Crawlas are really those dreadful beasts who don't just hurt you, but change you to clown colors as well, making you the laughing stock of the whole netgame, oh noes.

Um.. Jason...
Are you aware you said they would work in "Chaos" mode?
As far as I know, that died along with teh original Spidey Knux...
Or is there something here you are not telling me?

Jason the Echidna said:
Bouncey, I'm completely rewriting them right now. From scratch. Everything has gone out the window. Bots truely are nothing more then normal players at the moment, they even screw up netstat because it thinks they're lagging players 'cause they're not sending anything over the network or something like that.

In co-op, bots will stupidly follow the player who added them, as usual. They will NOT gather rings, kill enemies, etc. on purpose and flyme is gone as well.
Poopie. Ah, well, nothing wrong with playing old-fashioned Sonic and Tails.

In time-only race, I have two ideas for what to do in my head.
  1. Bots will try to follow a path I'll lay out in the maps for them. If I do it this way, the paths will be stored in seperate, optional lumps and I will include those lumps for the normal SRB2 levels (and possibly Mystic Realm) in SRB2JTE. If those lumps do not exist, the bots will stupidly try to run directly to the exit signpost.
  2. Bots will try to get ahead of the player closest to the finish line, but wait for that player to show them the way as well. If I do it this way, they will keep a path of which sectors the player has been in since the map start and try to predict which sector they'll go in next.
Either way, they will have trouble with FOFs and probably won't be much of a challenge. But I'll do my best.
The second idea sounds like a good one, but I think I may have a better (if harder) alternative for the first. Why not make it so it tries to react to its environment? For instance, it'll first run in the direction of its start position, locate the goal post, and avoid linedefs, jump over small death pits, avoid large ones, and keep running approximately toward the goal post. If possible, maybe also make it so it records where it's going, and if it's been through that route a few times, it tries an alternative route. I'm unsure how all this would work, or, for that matter, how you can get it to sense different types of lindefs and sectors, but it's an idea.
SRB2-Playah said:
How about an active pathfinding thingy that records paths the bot takes as he explores new levels without a defined path? Then next time the level is loaded, it knows the best path to go.
Kind of what I mean, except it doesn't have to wander aimlessly on the first try.

In Sonic 2 race, bots will run around attacking enemies and gathering rings, always going after the one that is closest to them that they can see. If they can't see anything around them, they will revert to whichever time-only race AI I make until they spot something.
Sounds good. Trying to get first place is one thing, but it's another to go against people who collect points, bots or not. =P

In match, bots will run around gathering rings until they have over 20, only shooting at people if they get too close for comfort and have more then 1 ring. When they have gathered 20 or more rings, they will switch to total offense and run around trying to hit people. If they get hit, they will gather at least two rings, shoot the closest person (who will most likely be the one who shot them), then switch back to passive ring gathering mode.
This sounds great; might I recommend adding a difficulty setting? There are lots of skills I'm sure a bot can use for this, like sidestepping after tossing a ring (so as not to get hit by someone else's), thoking as an alternative dodge, finding a high place to snipe, etc. Meanwhile, what about the special rings? Bots should probably aim for those more than regular rings, but that's just IMO.

Meanwhile, there is the exception of team match. You can just put in the ctf "roam" command, but if that's forgotten, then we're gonna have some pretty interesting matches of bots shooting each other pointlessly. =P

Not sure... I may leave team games out of the mix altogether. CTF seems to have 4 modes the bots can be in, so you'll have to somehow tell them which mode you want them to be in individually.
How would you normally organize a team, anyway? One could get the enemy flag, a couple others could protect that person, a few could guard the home flag, and others could just beat the crap out of the other team. Here's how I would organize it:

Player/Bot1-2: Offence
Bot3-4: Defence
Bot5: Follow
Bot6: Roam
Anything past Bot6 could have a randomly generated mode on them, because all of the positions would already be covered.

Mind you, this is all what I will try to do. I have done nothing yet, this is merely what I am hoping to accomplish. Feel free to suggest alternate ways to go about competing in a certain mode or flame me for making them completely useless in co-op, I probably won't listen.
Listening or not, I'm still clicking the submit button. =P

Anyway, it sounds like you might be making some progress; you got the plan laid out, now all you need is to execute it.... As if that'll be easy. >_< I'm willing to help out if you need any (although I doubt you would want it), with the exception of when I'm too disorganized to get anything done at the moment. Like, I dunno, make background music for the Universe mode lobby, or finish the SA City design, and possibly test play. But otherwise, I wish you luck, and I hope this gets to at least to one more stable demo before possibly getting canceled.

I have music for Universe's lobbies and SA City's design is my own.

I will not make racing bots try to learn the map on their own. That's just too advanced for me at the moment. What I can do is tell them which sectors to go in and in what order and they will follow that path very loosely.

I was considering a more Quake 3 Team Arena-ish way of handling things by menu, only automaticly setting positions defaulting to 3 part offence 2 part defence and 0 part anything else, but I don't really want to bother...

Sorry, not much progress today, I went out for a ride to the beach with grandpa on our motorcycles to see the babes. :E I'm badass like that.

JTE, your penis size astounds me. Match bots, circuit bots, coop bots...you're fulfilling everyone's dreams right about now, even if they aren't executed perfectly. I give you serious props just for trying this.

JJames19119 said:
JTE, your penis size astounds me. Match bots, circuit bots, coop bots...you're fulfilling everyone's dreams right about now, even if they aren't executed perfectly. I give you serious props just for trying this.

Yeah...
Um... I wouldn't get your hopes up too much...

Right now, I shall compare JTE to Peter Molunix from Lionhead software..
This is the guy who said we wpuld be able to live out our own life in Fable and every single action will change the story...
He is also the same guy who envisioned The Movies as a supreme machinima tool and powerful software that extends far beyond normal gamers...
After many many delays, we have gotten both games...
And well... they are hardly able to do 1/2 of the things he has promised but still is a good game somehow (Except for The Movies.... what a mess).
The man has so many ideas... but what he is is a "thinker"
He moves onto another project before the old one is completed...
And yet we still look onward to see what his genius mind will think up of next.

That is our JTE...
I back him all the way, but the final product will always be less then promised....
It is our blessing and our curse and we have to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back