SRB2 Juicebox: A New Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
ICE said:
Oh, and the server is great! All the mods are a tad overwhelming, but it surely gives the server a unique feeling and it encourages new discoveries. I mean srsly, even Charyb doesn't know what some things do.

It is way too much for one person to even bother learning, which allows some individual skills. I don't mind that I don't know everything. But on that note, I do need to edit the list of who to contact if you want advice about a certain mod. Any mods any of you have an amount of skill in? I know Thaumcraft has been the most popular one, but what about Forestry? Anyone tried actually doing anything with that?

It is way too much for one person to even bother learning, which allows some individual skills. I don't mind that I don't know everything. But on that note, I do need to edit the list of who to contact if you want advice about a certain mod. Any mods any of you have an amount of skill in? I know Thaumcraft has been the most popular one, but what about Forestry? Anyone tried actually doing anything with that?

As far as I know, not a soul hath touched forestry. Thaumcraft is indeed a very interesting one, though. Me and Wolfy have tried doing it, with little success. I'm just left with a bunch of research notes on unknown theories, so no progress to the Thauminomicon for me. Anything provided by the FTB modpack, including that neato Exo suit, is worth getting into, just because it isn't a big hassle to start.

Actually, since I posted that, I noticed Bloodshot has been delving into Forestry. He has a nice apiary setup in back of his house. When I can finally settle down after I get the mining world started, I'm going to try some of that myself.

IndustrialCraft of course. Sp47 and I have adequately developed industry to generate matter from energy.

I would've gone into Forestry, but I remember some nonsense from the Technic pack with Bees evolving into 'vengeful', 'vindictive', 'avenging' and other overdramatic stuff. Left too much of a bitter taste in my mouth to pay it any more of my time.

Let's get two things straight here:

1.) You don't have protection on the spawn area, you're just trusting people not to break it? Okay, no. It's not difficult to protect, and is in fact built into Vanilla Minecraft that you can protect a region around spawn.

2.) You have no block logging and (from what I gather) just go on the words of others. Mistake #2. Block loggers are vital to run a server properly. You cannot and should not be going simply on the word of your users 100%.

Overall, seems like this project is going swimmingly.

Expecting people not to damage spawn isn't ridiculous at all. I mean, really, if a player is going to come on the server and instantly start destroying things, they shouldn't have been allowed on in the first place.

Precisely why I'm trying to keep such a good eye on the whitelist. Because to be honest, this isn't a public server. It's a server for the SRB2 Community & trusted friends. If it was a public server, it would be ridiculous to expect that, but in a private server, I hope to maintain a list of players with enough honor to actually respect each others things.

Obviously mistakes will be made, and have been made however. Thanks for alerting me about the vanilla spawn protection, as I wasn't aware of that at my past servers, and never seen that. However, since we edited the spawn point, I'm not sure it will still work. Always worth a try though! :)

As for block logging, that would obviously be nice, as we all know, but last time I looked (about two weeks ago), I couldn't find anything of the sort that was compatible with Forge. Do you know of anything like that?

...On a second search, I seem to have found something of the sort. This is a good find indeed.

(from what I gather) just go on the words of others.

Not at all. Though obviously if someone complains, the issue is looked into, but things are made certain through circumstantial evidence before anything is done about it. Plus, server logs don't lie. No one was banned because of hearsay, but only because I personally went to their house, examined the situation, and acted from there.

Also, do you still host a server? I'm just curious...

Overall, seems like this project is going swimmingly.

Actually, it is, for which I am grateful. We almost always have 3-8 people active, which considering our player list, is a quite nice amount indeed. I've logged in at odd hours of the night due to waking up for work, or plain old insomnia, and have been surprised to find three or four players chugging along at the game. I expect to draw a few more people in in the near future, too.

So far, there have been very few issues with the client. Only one server crash, due to me throwing an entity through a Mystcraft portal (which it apparently doesn't like), and a client crash I'm still trying to pinpoint. Something having to do with the location in which a character was holding a throwable weapon such as a spear or a throwing knife. None of them seem to be related to mod conflicts, which is great. In situations like this though, all I can do is hope the creators fix it up next round.

I do wish the mod creators would make their code open source. I understand there are tons of reasons why they don't want to do this, but it would be real handy to be able take a look at some of the problems myself. :L

Last edited:
I had to stop playing for now. After hours of the game my juicebox gets slower and slower, eventually to a crawl; then it crashes. Though it's been stated that it'll be fixed next release, so I won't be on frequently till then.

I do wish the mod creators would make their code open source. I understand there are tons of reasons why they don't want to do this, but it would be real handy to be able take a look at some of the problems myself. :L

BuildCraft is open-source. The problem is that unlike most modding communities, there is a vast cult of personality around Minecraft modders, a set of modders of whom the majority are interested only in creating glory for themselves.

There's also the fun little part where they seriously think that they can legally restrict the rights to their mods. Mods are typically extensions of classes in base Minecraft. Thus their mods are derived code (you could argue that MC Forge and other APIs alter this argument by providing a layer of hooks between the base classes and mods) from proprietary software. Legally speaking, they have no right to mod at all.

Additionally, many modders don't understand basic economics. If there is demand for something, then someone will attempt to supply it. Case in point: BetterWithForge.

Juicebox has recently gotten near the bottom of the box as the server has now slowed down. response time is too slow to be acceptable by anyone.

Juicebox has recently gotten near the bottom of the box as the server has now slowed down. response time is too slow to be acceptable by anyone.

Sp47 has said that the version of Forge used suffers from a progressive memory leak wherein the server (and the client too, you may notice) gradually slows down with time.

The workaround for now is regular restarts.

No, no, this wasn't the memory leak. It was a crash due to something or other, I think it was due to Thaumcraft. Let me take a closer look.

EDIT:

Fixed, the server is back up. When it crashed because of the memory leak, the Aura data got corrupted. I had to regenerate the aura data. On the positive side, you might be able to charge wands in your house now, Spherallic. :p

I'll make some steps to reassure I don't have to regenerate it again.

Last edited:
Obviously mistakes will be made, and have been made however. Thanks for alerting me about the vanilla spawn protection, as I wasn't aware of that at my past servers, and never seen that. However, since we edited the spawn point, I'm not sure it will still work. Always worth a try though! :)

It will, but only ops can actually edit the spawn.

As for block logging, that would obviously be nice, as we all know, but last time I looked (about two weeks ago), I couldn't find anything of the sort that was compatible with Forge. Do you know of anything like that?

Nope, I use Bukkit.

Also, do you still host a server? I'm just curious...

Yes, two years and going.

Alright, it's very late and I'd like to get this across as fast and as clean as possible, so bear with me as I go through this. I'll fill in the details the next chance I get.

We are in the works of developing a texture pack specifically for this server, and we'd like to get the community itself involved. Here are a few specifications about the pack so far.

• This pack will be using the 32x resolution. We like having detail, but not so much that everything looks incredibly odd as squares.
  • We'd like the help of anyone who'd like to help. Keep in mind there will be a small team of people to keep the quality at a certain level and to keep the pack consistent.
  • For anyone participating, we'd like you to take it easy. Start with one texture, and work your way through. We like quality over quantity.
  • The main discussion on the pack itself and its contents will be handled in the Juicebox channel itself.
  • If you're submitting textures in bulk, please take care to place them all in one image so we don't get a dozen links.

There will be more details on the way, such as the people in the quality control team and whatnot. I'll update this post with those as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Why not just keep the conversation on #srb2juicebox itself? I don't think we even need to begin about flooding the channel. Any reasons you had besides that?

Also I claim the water texture~

just to make sure this doesn't get lost:
04:09 Glaber: I just discovered an incomplete forest portal and a door in a cave off the side of a canyon I was mining and the door had permission setting on it. only problem, the blocks around it didn't have proper protection
04:10 Glaber: I broke 1 stone block no problem
04:10 Glaber: but putting a cobble back, nope

Now to be clear, this was in the Twilight Forest world.

Attention Juicebox mods and admins, we are at code red griefer alert!
Repeate: code red griefer alert!

This griefer is an unknown user, has robbed and is reported to not carry the evidance. This griefer also uses thaumcraft.

that is all

I joined the server, but i'm not white-listed. EDIT - I read the rules now, and i'm not lying!

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Apparently, i'm banned from the IRC.

Last edited:
I joined the server, but i'm not white-listed. EDIT - I read the rules now, and i'm not lying!

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Apparently, I'm banned from the IRC.

Reading from the logs, you weren't making much effort to try and do it on your own. Charyb said it best.
<@Charybdizs> Nope. You pretty much had to have your hand held through getting the pack, reading the topic, and then getting the IP, which was in the same place as you got the pack.

We can respect the hand-holding when you're actually in the server, trying to learn the flow of the new mods, but this is laughable, really. As well as that, spamming is most definitely not gonna get you anywhere.

If you still want to join the server, you might want to see about calming yourself. Being eager is fine and all, but don't let it overwhelm you to the point that you can't do basic tasks. Try and apologize to Charyb for what you did, figure out why you couldn't do a lot of the basic set up tasks alone. We all had at least one step we were lost about, but you kinda needed help through the whole ride.

Just common logic, but... have you considered lurking more? It's better to be informed before you just rush into things. I've been on SRB2MB for a good few years now and still lurk now, just so I don't miss details on things.

And while we're at trying to help you improve, do you NEED to be so blunt about yourself? "11-year-old Autistic" is not a great title to be stuck with in a community. Just saying, man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back