Triangle Legacy is now better still! TLR 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
Triangle Legacy is back and MUCH better!
I've been working on it since December 2008.
The new release is TLR 2.1.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE!
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jo52z2nna0r

Basically, this game is a platformer with a tiny hint of adventure-game elements. It tells the story of Blue Triangle, a legendary hero from Shape World, as he steps outside to get some fresh air and unwittingly is sucked into an adventure in which he has to rescue characters from other video games.

WARNING!
1. This game is really, really hard. If you're having trouble with a level (which will probably be often) go back to the Main Menu, press Spacebar, and a complete list of levels will appear. Then you can skip the offending level.
2. This is a warning to conservative Republicans: you might be offended. A distinct liberal Democrat bias pervades the game, and there's a part where you fight Sarah Palin in a boss battle. So if you don't think you will be able to see the funny side of that, I don't recommend you download this game.

25k79dl.png

t9jmmf.png

r9fjth.png

CHANGELOG:

V1.0:
Just the basic version of the game. Many parts are quite primitive, particularly in Worlds 1 and 2. Never released to the public.

V1.0.0.1:
This version features some vast improvements to the first half of World 1, and tiny sprite improvements throughout the game. Never released to the public.

V1.1:
There never was a Version 1.1. The numbers skipped from 1.0.0.1 directly to 1.2. Why? Just because, that's why.

V1.2:
The first version to be released. Some tiny graphical improvements, and some of the MIDI music has been replaced with MP3.

V1.3:
What's new in Version 1.3? The question is, what ISN'T new in Version 1.3? Here's a list of just a few of the improvements:

1. Several minor sprite improvements throughout the entire game.
2. A couple of new sound effects.
3. Even more new MP3 replacing old MIDI. (Note: this has significantly increased the file size!!!)
4. A few small improvements to World 1.
5. VAST improvements to World 2. Lots of new parallax and a more realistic sun in the sky. One or two minor glitches have been improved too. I'm afraid the major movement glitches have not been fixed. They may never be fixed, because the glitches are firmly based in the movement system, and getting rid of them would mean changing the movement.
6. Spyro's flashback cutscene towards the end of World 2 has been entirely reconfigured. I think it's a lot better now.
7. The download is in ZIP format instead of the raw EXE. Unfortunately, it only compressed the file by a few megabytes, but it's the thought that counts, right?
8. There are one or two more improvements in there. See if you can spot them!

V1.4:
This version is an enormous leap from V1.3. This is what's new:

1. The entire cutscene system has been COMPLETELY revamped. Now, instead of the speech bubbles advancing forward inexorably, they open and close with the spacebar. This way, you can slow down the cutscene to make sure you read the whole thing, or speed it up if you've already seen it and/or just want to skip it.
2. HUGE bug fixes for World 2!!! The spinning animation has been updated to look neater, and many of the moderately problematic movement bugs have been fixed. It's still pretty buggy, but it operates better than ever now.
3. You know that annoying problem where some of the levels take a while to start playing the background music? It's been fixed.
4. Plenty of the levels have had improvements to the lib structure. This doesn't improve gameplay or make the EXE run more efficiently, but it will make future updates easier to create.
5. The Credits page has been completely redone as a scrolling list. It's easier to read, and it'll also be easier for me to update it should the need arise.
6. There are a few more minor improvements and bug fixes throughout the game. You may well find that some other minor annoyance you hate no longer exists.

V1.5:
This contains even more improvements than 1.4! Here are just SOME of the updates:

1. First and foremost, this version has improved graphics throughout the entire game. Practically all of the levels have had noticeable graphical updates.
2. A couple of levels have been slightly modified to be easier, look better, or just be more fun. This is not a significant change, though...Version 2 will feature more of this kind of improvement.
3. The file size has been lowered considerably without any real loss of gameplay or graphics. Practically all unused sprites and backgrounds have been erased, shrinking the file a lot. Plus, it's in ZIP format again, to allow for slightly faster downloads!
4. A couple of frame-transition bugs have been improved.
5. The horrible frame lag in World 7 has been lessened somewhat.
6. Bowser moves more slowly in battle, but he has some new tricks up his sleeve!
7. Some new voice clips and sound effects have been added. Most notably, jumping into water creates a splashing noise now.
8. As always, be on the lookout for some other minor improvements.

V2.0:
This version beats the crap out of all previous versions. Here's a brief explanation of the biggest improvements:

1. First and foremost, the game is almost twice as long!!! There are no new levels, but the old ones have been completely revamped. The earlier levels have had their difficulty toned down a bit, and almost every level is much longer now.
2. An enormous amount of glitches and typos have been corrected. Most notably, the movement glitches in World 2 are almost completely gone.
3. Tons of new sound effects and music.
4. Some cutscene changes, including an extra scene at the end that depicts the ultimate fate of Dr. Openform!
5. New kinds of enemies have been added.
6. More updates to the artwork. These changes are more extensive than those in the previous update.
7. With all these improvements, you might think the already-large game will take up even more space on the computer. Well, the file size is actually SMALLER!

V2.1:
1. Most important, there's now a HEALTH SYSTEM! Blue Triangle can take three hits before dying.
2. Health Balls and Life Balls are scattered throughout the levels to heal you.
3. At last! World 2 is now glitch-free! No more getting stuck in the ceiling.
4. Slight graphical improvements.
5. Another reduction in file size! Yay!

Remember: As big as this game is, it's not complete. There will be later updates including bug fixes and new features, so if a certain glitch annoys you, it may well be eradicated in the next version.

Last edited:
Re: Triangle Legacy Revisited: A Fawfulfan Production

fawfulfan said:
SMBZ ripoff: check
Crash-Sonic Crossover: check
Difficulty: Hellish
Concept: Original
I rate it 9/10, keep up the good work.

The artwork really needs some improvement. As it stands now, it looks like MS paint backgrounds with some poorly cropped sprite rips. Like it or not, the art is a big part of the game. If all you are thinking about is how bad the art is while playing the game, you won't be able to enjoy it. I also would like to say that the sprites and the background should fit together, and since you use a sprite rip from a license game, it looks even stranger with the MS paint background.

tl:dr Remake backgrounds and sprites to not look like a 5 second MS paint job.

I will definitely be improving the backgrounds in a later version, but it's also important to remember that the entire point of the game is that these characters come from other universes, and thus look different from anything else you might find in the game's world. This applies to the sprite rips too. I know this sounds like a cop-out, and, yes, it certainly does look strange, but the intent was for the strangeness to be creative license.

Nevertheless, it's still a work in progress, and some things will be solved. I suck at shading, but I'll attempt to improve the backgrounds to the best of my abilities.

Here's my advice, you need to keep all of the sprites looking like they belong together, an example would be SRB2, if you saw a DooM1 monster in that game you would think that it looks terribly out of place, and no offense but some of those sprite rips look terribly out of place. My best bet would be to make them yourself, Or if you lack the talent ask someone you know to help you out.

I'm trying to improve the sprites, but I'm afraid I can't get rid of the sprite rips. You know, the whole point is that the characters came from other games. I mean that Sonic literally just waltzed out of Sonic Advance and came into this game, or that Mario actually came from one of the Mario and Luigi titles. They're supposed to look out of place.

However, as I said before, I'm working to enhance all the sprites I made myself. Version 1.5 will be a primarily graphical update, and many of the objects will have some shading.

This game looks like it follows all of the standards of other fangames that were made way back in 2003.

Just seen this, and I'm here to tell you a few things.

First of all, the beginning of the game should not be hard at all. They should start off easy, then as the game progresses, then should you increase the difficulty. Certain styles looked ripped off such as SMBZ style, the sprites ripped & combined look messy. Also, the background looks like MSPaint style designs. If you are going to use backgrounds, it'd be better to rip a decent one, and use that because it's better than using those backgrounds.

The physics are too slippery. And Triangle ought to have someway to defend himself, or at least absorb some hits without dying!

I did like the level graphics though. They have a crude South Park kind of appeal.

I just have to post here because there is a version change, and thus I need to bump this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back