Spelling Bee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blur

I'm kind of surprised. SRB2's Submergerged Sanctum helped me to get 12th place in the Scripts Howard Reginal Spelling Bee. There were 44 kids, and I got 12th place, Sanctum was one of my words.

If you skipped the upper part, THANKS SRB2!

Obviously, "Submerged" was not one of the words you had to spell. XD

No idea why, gastroentermology was a bit harder than it should have been, compared to my other words:

elegant
ordination
sanctum

I dare you to spell all the horribles names of the horrors in this world...

TO MY @$$!!!! AHAHAHA!!!

That was rather random X_X

Needless to say, I like using large words like that since they're:

A) More descriptive
B) There are a lot more of them, so I don't have to repeat them as much.

Occasionally, though, I seem to use words that a lot of people around here don't know what mean. "Verdant" was the first one of those. I'd say about 50% of people in the community had no clue what it meant. Oh well =P

M:TG is a much better source of vocabulary than SRB2 will ever be. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, level 5 in the expanded MR addon version of the game was named after a certain large creature that first saw print 6½ years ago.

Verdant Forest?

Verdant is actually a real word. From dictionary.com:

\Ver"dant\, a. [F. verdoyant, p. pr. of verdoyer to be verdant, to grow green, OF. verdoier, verdeier, fr. verd, vert, green, fr. L. viridis green, fr. virere to be green: cf. OF. verdant verdant, L. viridans, p. pr. of viridare to make green. Cf. Farthingale, Verjuice, Vert.]

1. Covered with growing plants or grass; green; fresh; flourishing; as, verdant fields; a verdant lawn.

Let the earth Put forth the verdant grass. --Milton.

2. Unripe in knowledge or judgment; unsophisticated; raw; green; as, a verdant youth. [Colloq.]

I'm only using it for the first definition, obviously.

Verdant Force is referencing the fact that it grows 1/1 Saproling tokens every turn, growing green out of nothing.

Of course it's a real word (as is just about any card name that isn't a tribe/place name, or a Creature - Beast/Mutant/some other random freak type; that's why I pointed out it was such a vocab-enhancing tool). However, that had nothing to do with my contention: namely, once you had the "forest" level planned out, it was the card that led the first word to be chosen as it was.

Actually, I use this amazing thing we call Microsoft Word's thesarus to find words. I only use them if I know what they mean previously, obviously. I did know what "Verdant" meant before playing MtG, and the only reason I used the word was because it was descriptive. MtG does have a lot of great vocab, though, no question. Hell, even the made-up words are generally made with latin roots, keeping them moderately authentic.

No wonder mystic's levels sound more interesting than my own. Heck, even one scapped level, Explosion Dynamo, wasn't as descriptive as Verdant Forest. But on the topic of this, what kind of level would gastroenterology get?

Hint: Gastro=the stomach or intestines enterology=the study of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back