Addons Section Reorganization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Basically, all of the WAD makers have probably felt this, but the current system of file naming on the addons section has left a major problem becuase we've been using it too long: We're running out of 3 letter zone abbreviations.

The other downside to three letter filenames is that they're damn vague. If you haven't used it a ton, most people would have no idea what frz.wad is.

I propose a drastic change in the file name system. I will rename ALL of the WAD files on the site to the following standard:

gametype-fullname-version(optional).wad

For instance, agz.wad would become sp-aerialgarden.wad. The good part of doing this would be that it would give us an infinite number of filenames, and it would clearly state what the gametype of the file you are loading is. This would clean up everyone's SRB2 directory, and give the person loading the file a clear knowledge of EXACTLY what he or she is loading. The downside is that every single file would have a new standardized name, and doing this would either force everyone to rename their files, redownload, or not play a netgame with them. It would be quite a hassle until everyone has finished adjusting to the change.

The question is basically this: Do you think that the standardization of filenames is worth the minor hassle of having to rename everything?

This is intentionally NOT a poll. It is a discussion more than anything else.

Disadvantages to this approach:
1. Requires redownloading or renaming EVERY wad file -- hardly a "minor hassle."
2. Fails for misc. maps or those that support multiple gametypes.
3. Makes filenames awkwardly and unnecessarily long.
4. Effectively forces everyone to use Mystic's classification system.

The real solution to the so-called problem is to stop using "xxz.wad" format filenames and encourage others to do the same. This is something I've myself started doing already.

Or you could just take the coward's way out: Add another letter to the filename of new wads!

Like-
Tranquility Valley Zone.
TRVZ

The entire reason I added an R is because there was already a TVZ (Tag Valley Zone) :E

But on the subject, I don't really like having to cope with changing filenames of almost every downloded wad we have. Remember: I'm lazy :/

a441 said:
1. Requires redownloading or renaming EVERY wad file -- hardly a "minor hassle."
Correct, but only if you plan to use that specific WAD online. Considering that WAD files are mostly 20 KB or so, that's pretty minor if you ask me. If I do this, I'll make a "all previous wads" zip to easily replace everything.
a441 said:
2. Fails for misc. maps or those that support multiple gametypes.
Not really. The solution is to just choose one, like everyone else. Technically, CTF maps can be used in DM, but I wouldn't suggest it. Doesn't mean you should call them "ctf-dm-levelname.wad", last I checked. If it really IS impossible to select, "dm-ch-levelname.wad" works just fine. For things with no type, it would just be "filename.wad", like previous.
a441 said:
3. Makes filenames awkwardly and unnecessarily long.
Not everyone uses command prompt. Whatever happened to tab, anyhow? They're going to get longer whether you like it or not. This way, they're all exactly a certain way in being longer, instead of being longer in different ways.
a441 said:
4. Effectively forces everyone to use Mystic's classification system.
I know you hate standardization, but standardization is a good thing in most every situation. If everyone uses the same standard, you'd never have any question as to what a file is, or what map number it is.
a441 said:
The real solution to the so-called problem is to stop using "xxz.wad" format filenames and encourage others to do the same. This is something I've myself started doing already.
The real solution is a combination of this and retroactively changing all the filenames. Once everyone is using the new system, the change will seem like it never happened. It's just that this place is exceedingly resistant to change. Once it's over, you guys will forget that it ever happened.

We already have a standard -- the files are named what the authors call them. Why are you suddenly so keen on inconveniencing everyone to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

Because I've seen what having standards does. I know you hate standards with a vengence. Standards are useful for a ton of things. The most obvious is simply organization.

Now if you object to the standard I have laid out, I have no trouble with mucking with the standard. We simply need a standard. The following are what it needs to have:

Game type
Full name
Version

The one I've given is just the easiest way to store the data that I know of. If you can come up with a better one, I welcome it.

Another thing I'd like to do with the reorganization is clean up the directory. Any WAD files you don't want to stay up there, now is the time, as the 9th is the date of the cleanup.

I have TONS of maps that I can't even REMOTLY get to Mystic AT ALL! These maps are very good ones like "tropical paradise zone" and "Lunchtime Zone".

About a couple days ago, like on Monday. I sent it to mystic at srb2 dot org. (via email)

Edit: Kept my e-mail from being mailto.

Well, if people don't like the long name, then they can just rename it once they download it. That's what I often do.

Jake, you're forgetting that renamed files won't let you plan online with them =P

It checks by filename. If it was that simple, I wouldn't have asked =P

My idea

I named Castle Raid Zone CaRaZ.wad but that still has a restriction. Say what if there was a Cabinet Rally Zone? Or Canyon Race? Maybe we could use:
(name)(author)(version)
KriCastleRaid.wad
Where Kri is short for Kristos, CastleRaid has the "Zone" trunicated, and no number means version 1.

At this point the changes have basically already been made, the new format is:

gametype_fullname-other.wad

The hyphen was changed to underscore because Windows stupidly doesn't use hyphens when sorting alphabetically, and hence ignores them.

What's a hyphen? (Seriously, I'm beginning to forget my grammar lessons :/)

Ah well. The standardization has grown on me, to tell you the truth, actually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back