July/August 2014 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the July/August 2014 SRB2 Official Level Design Contest voting topic!

To vote, play a few games of each stage in a division and create a list of all the maps in the division, arranging them from best to worst with no ties. If you are voting on a division that includes your own entry, you should list your own map as the best regardless of your opinion on the quality of your own map. Although it's not required for votes to count, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve for future attempts. Please separate your comments from your votes, though, to make it easier for us to tally the scores at the end.

Voting will end September 15, 2014 at 7 PM local time in the Eastern time zone of the United States. Like the entry deadline, this counts the United States's daylight savings time between March and November. Votes submitted after this time will not be counted in the tally, so if you want to be counted, don't vote at the last minute.

After the voting period ends, the votes will be tallied. For each vote, the map they ranked first gets n-1 points, second place gets n-2 points, third gets n-3, all the way down to n-n (zero) points for last, where n is the number of maps in the division. Each map's points are added together to create that map's final score, and the map with the highest score wins the division. Should there be a tie, the votes are calculated again with only the tied maps included. If this still fails to break the tie, the tie stands and both maps are winners.

The entries are as follows:

Single Player
Koopa Garrison Zone by Fawfulfan - 202 points - 2nd
Cloud Convoy Zone by toaster - 170 points - 3rd
Quickman by Zipper - 103 points - 5th
Autumn Valley Zone by Root - 27 points - 7th
Phantom Gadget Zone by CoatRack - 137 points - 4th
Shadow Castle Zone by Yacker and MudkipYeah! - 67 points - 6th
Gravity Garden Zone by EvilEnternity3000 - 219 points - 1st

Match
Fountain Hills Zone by blahblahbal - 22 points - 1st
Volcanic Cliffs Zone by BlasterGuy - 6 points - 3rd
Collapsing Cavern Zone by Fawfulfan - 20 points - 2nd

Capture the Flag
Canceled Flight Zone by Fawfulfan - 14 points - 1st
Snowy Fortress Zone by BlasterGuy - 2 points - 2nd

All divisions are now up. "Reserved" posts will be spam infracted.

Attachments

• scr_julaug14.zip
    30.2 MB · Views: 2,336
  • mf_contest-julaug14.zip
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 1,347
Last edited:
Want to save some time when setting up your playthrough? Make a folder named "oldc14-2" and put it in your SRB2 folder, and place the SP maps inside. Then copy the following into a text file before changing the extention to .bat

Code:
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_autumnvalley.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_gravitygarden.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_koopagarrison.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_phantomgadget.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_shadowcastle.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\s_cloudconvoy.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\s_quickman.wad
Place the .bat file in your SRB2 folder, and thereafter using it will boot SRB2 with one wad from the list, and do nothing until you close SRB2, after which it will restart SRB2 with the next wad in the list until finished. Close the console window the .bat file opens to interrupt this process.

Have fun, everyone!

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to playing this! I'll keep checking in for the multiplayer pack. Good luck, everyone!

Just wanna say, SCZ wasn't entirely my work, as said in the submissions post, "MudkipYeah!" also worked on it, so if that could be added to the first post, that'd be great.

Here are my reviews:

Single Player:

(Koopa Garrison Zone) > Gravity Garden Zone > Phantom Gadget Zone > Quickman > Cloud Convoy Zone > Shadow Castle Zone > Autumn Valley Zone

Match:

(Collapsing Cavern Zone) > Fountain Hills Zone > Volcanic Cliffs Zone

CTF:

(Canceled Flight Zone) > Snowy Fortress Zone

Koopa Garrison Zone, by me
I've wanted to build a sequel to Pipe Towers Zone for a while now. Finally I had the time to actually sit down and do it, and I'm pretty happy with the result. I crammed as many secrets in there as possible...good luck finding them all!

Gravity Garden Zone, by EvilEternity3000, - 8/10
Now this is a wacky theme in a pretty package with novel ideas. The hoops were executed very well and I loved the enemies that fired little pulses that could flip your gravity. A few rooms got on my nerves, like the tree room near the start, and BOY did it lag in places, but all in all I had a blast playing this. You are to be commended.

Phantom Gadget Zone, by CoatRack, - 6/10
It's gorgeous, it's original, it has an admirable attention to detail, but Mystic should definitely not have rushed you to release this because I was frustrated a lot during my playthrough. I kept falling off of the tiny platform jumps and getting hit by hazards that I could not possibly have seen coming. Also, let's talk about the light level. Yes, it is important for the atmosphere, but there is just not enough relief from the darkness in some rooms. There should have been some way to get around in the room with all the dark crates, especially considering that it was virtually impossible to see the exit.

Quickman, by Zipper - 6/10
Well, it's...cute. And lovingly scripted. I have a tough time jumping over wide chasms, but that might just be the learning curve at work here, since I'm really used to SRB2 physics. That's the thing though...if I had wanted to play Megaman, I'd have played Megaman. This is Sonic Robo Blast 2. I much preferred how LUA was being used in the previous contest, when it was adding onto SRB2 rather than tearing it out by the roots and replacing it with a different game. That said, I am REALLY looking forward to D00D's Dumbventure sequel, so maybe I'm not being very consistent here.

Cloud Convoy Zone, by toaster - 5/10
I will admit this has some marvelous effort behind it, and I adore the degree of puzzle-solving that has to be done here, but the controls are extremely frustrating and the gameplay system was not at all intuitive. I particularly disliked the flying turtles that you had to come down on from above, which should have been used more sparingly. It also took me ages to work out that you are supposed to jump into that red beam to allow the Tornado to pass under, and once I did, making precision jumps with a fixed-distance high-up camera resulted in me missing several times. At least the speed of the level was pretty forgiving.

Shadow Castle Zone, by Yacker and MudkipYeah! - 3/10
A nice try but really not at all enjoyable. It's mostly running interspersed with platforming over pits, the scenery is quite dull and ugly, the gravflipping rugs made no sense, and the 1 second 2D section is useless and confusing. Still, keep at it, the level at least works and you show promise as a designer.

Autumn Valley Zone, by root - 3/10
It's pretty. But the level suffers from two big problems: its shortness and its clunkiness. There was one admirable attempt at a path split but the controls were just too jerky and there was no flow (which is absolutely crucial in a 2D level). Another big sin committed by this level, and one that has always been common ever since 2D mode was invented, is it's impossible to run at full speed safely. You really ought to have slowed down the character speed for this, it was too easy to run into enemies and death pits without notice.

Collapsing Cavern Zone, by me
My goal here, as you may have gathered, was to create a Match level that completely transforms its own terrain over the course of the battle.

Fountain Hills Zone, by blahblahbal - 5/10
A solidly built level, if a tad dull. My main problem is that the weapons could be placed a little better, but other than that it's not particularly noteworthy either way.

Volcanic Cliffs Zone, by BlasterGuy - 3/10
This level is ugly as sin, and the weapons are placed in bizarre groups that make no sense and have no regard for meaningful use. Worse still, the level is ring-starved...it's much easier to get weapon ammo than rings, which should never be the case.

Canceled Flight Zone, by me
I originally just wanted to see if I could build an airport in SRB2 and it gradually morphed into a CTF level. I'm really pleased with its visuals although, despite extensive testing, I have yet to see how good its gameplay is with a large group...

Snowy Fortress Zone, by BlasterGuy - 4/10
For some odd reason, everyone on the opposing team seemed to have Force Shields when I was playing it...anyway, the only serious problem with the layout here is that it's missing alternate paths to the bases. Other than that, no serious flaws to speak of, although the bases were a little narrow and the scenery was plain.

Last edited:

Phantom Gadget Zone by CoatRack - 4/10

Mystic should definitely not have rushed you to release this. Yes, it's gorgeous, it's original, it has an admirable attention to detail. But it's unbelievably frustrating to play through. I kept falling off of the tiny platform jumps and getting hit by hazards that I could not possibly have seen coming. Also, let's talk about the light level. Yes, it is important for the atmosphere, but there is just not enough relief from the darkness in some rooms. There should have been some way to get around in the room with all the dark crates, especially considering that it was virtually impossible to see the exit.

I was really wanting to enter this into the next contest, but I decided I would send it in now instead because people were bugging me to. I wanted to make the level longer but having camp this last week drained my time up like mad, so I had just enough time to fix some small issues in it before sending it in. Last night I had been working on the light issue, but ran out if time and wasn't able to finish it.

I was really wanting to enter this into the next contest, but I decided I would send it in now instead because people were bugging me to. I wanted to make the level longer but having camp this last week drained my time up like mad, so I had just enough time to fix some small issues in it before sending it in. Last night I had been working on the light issue, but ran out if time and wasn't able to finish it.

I'm perfectly fine with the length. My problem is how much hopping across microplatforms I had to do, and how it was frustrating to locate entrances and exits in the dark rooms. It's a pity, because I really did like the theme a lot. It was delightfully eerie and there's a great attention to detail in this thing. I just didn't have fun playing it.

Neverthless, I actually think 4 is a little harsh on second thought. I'm bumping its rating up a little because I do really appreciate the effort involved.

My body is ready. My small, stupid comments are too.

1. Gravity Garden Zone by EvilEnternity3000 - infinite possibilities to get through the zone with just gravity alone
2. Koopa Garrison Zone by Fawfulfan - easily the best mario mode level ever
3. Cloud Convoy Zone by toaster - planes are coolio
4. Quickman by Zipper - i had so much stupid fun with this
5. Phantom Gadget Zone by CoatRack - i still feel really sorry for the badniks
6. Autumn Valley Zone by Root - pretty but not too smooth
7. Shadow Castle Zone by Yacker and MudkipYeah! - are we back in 1.09.4
1. Collapsing Cavern Zone by Fawfulfan - rock to face action
2. Volcanic Cliffs Zone by BlasterGuy - too much red why
3. Fountain Hills Zone by blahblahbal - i'm so lost help me
1. Canceled Flight Zone by Fawfulfan - the BEST level theme
2. Snowy Fortress Zone by BlasterGuy - bit too corridor-y

Last edited:
Before I cast my vote, is anyone else having moderate frame-rate issues with Cloud Convoy Zone and Gravity Garden zone, and game-killing, migraine inducing frame-rate issues with Koopa Garrison Zone?

I know my laptop isn't particularly good, but jeeze, these levels are killing my system. It is a chore to play all three.

Before I cast my vote, is anyone else having moderate frame-rate issues with Cloud Convoy Zone and Gravity Garden zone, and game-killing, migraine inducing frame-rate issues with Koopa Garrison Zone?

I know my laptop isn't particularly good, but jeeze, these levels are killing my system. It is a chore to play all three.
Koopa garrison zone has a pretty intense skybox; turn it off in the console with "skybox 0", and that should help. Might help on cloud convoy, too.

Flat? Hahaha...how long were you in there?

years
i lost everything in that cavern

Yeah I'll be honest, I didn't spend enough time to have the stage start crumbling (it got boring flat like that pls). Don't worry I'm 100% professional at this kind of thing. Just gonna quietly switch up rankings.

This is one way to play SRB1.

Mega%20Mind.gif

Single Player

Phantom Gadget > Quickman > Gravity Garden > Shadow Castle > Cloud Convoy > Koopa Garrison > Autumn Valley

Koopa Garrison Zone by Fawfulfan
- indoor areas with lava could have been brighter
- too long and too boring
- i can't wait for this mario map to get into vanilla too on pure virtue of nobody else wanting to make mario maps

Cloud Convoy Zone by toaster
- this map managed to actually crash my game for some reason
- the clouds should have been layered fofs instead of solid ground, would have looked a lot better
- i like the new enemies but otherwise i don't have a lot to say about this

Quickman by Zipper
- although i like how the map turned out visually, i think you should have taken advantage of the 2.5d perspective
- too much of a difficulty spike between quickman and the rest of the level
- the gameplay itself is really neat and i hope to see more of this kind of gameplay in future maps

Autumn Valley Zone by Root
- use more than two textures
- use checkpoints
- too short

Phantom Gadget Zone by CoatRack
- scrolling binary textures could have flickered instead of scrolled so i wasn't constantly thinking they were conveyor belts
- a lot harder than the rest of the maps, mostly because of the obnoxious as fuck lasers
- i liked the new twist on the enemies
- the map felt like it's only halfway finished

Shadow Castle Zone by Yacker and MudkipYeah!
- both the music and the general gimmick gave me a huge sonic heroes vibe, which isn't a bad thing in this case
- pretty fun, although the map itself is a bit ugly

Gravity Garden Zone by EvilEnternity3000
- really pretty
- not really short but doesn't overstay its welcome
- the gravflip gimmick was more optional than it was required which kind of sucks

Match

Fountain Hills > Collapsing Cavern > Volcanic Cliffs

Fountain Hills Zone by blahblahbal
- open and too empty
- use more texture variance
- stick with avalon

Volcanic Cliffs Zone by BlasterGuy
- literally a square
- before you work on anything, work on a more organic-looking thok barrier
- deep lava in multiplayer game modes is a big no-no, especially when more than half the level is made of it

Collapsing Cavern Zone by Fawfulfan
- boring and empty just like the other match maps

CTF

Snowy Fortress > Canceled Flight

this was literally the most pathetic ctf division i've seen in my history of playing oldc maps

Canceled Flight Zone by Fawfulfan
- your bases are too big and the outside areas are completely pointless
- hilariously small for how large the level itself is because of the pointless outside areas and straight path to the flags
- despite the level theme, the name is still stupid as fuck

Snowy Fortress Zone by BlasterGuy
- just as empty as fawfulfan's map except it has no useless outside areas
- but it's also completely and totally linear with absolutely nothing obstructing the path to the flag besides a short walk

Last edited:
Watch, as I rip off Scizor300's voting layout!

Single Player

Gravity Garden Zone > Cloud Convoy Zone > Koopa Garrison Zone > Phantom Gadget Zone > Quickman > Shadow Castle Zone > Autumn Valley Zone (last updated 9/1/2014)

+probably the best mario mode level yet
+used mario stuff in interesting ways
-way too laggy

+extremely fun to play through
+the boss was fun
-sonic's too slippery for this kind of thing
-would've been better off with a lower jump height and homing jump-thok

Quickman by Zipper
+faithful recreation of megaman
+match in srb1 remake
-too many blind jumps! zoom that screen out
-level's decoration is bland
(should mention i'm no good at megaman and couldn't beat quickman)

-way too short
-uninteresting
-i find the graphics to be off-putting
-what is this, a 1.09.4 2d-mode level?

+hardest of them all
+a lot of interesting ideas throughout
-the map is (as you stated earlier) unfinished, and it really feels like it
-AUGH THE NOISES

+the ideas, although taken from heroes, played out well
+ending was neat
-very ugly and somewhat flat
-although i still had fun with this, it really had that 1.09.4 vibe

+very pretty
+so many ways to go through each room just from gravity alone
+perfect length
-i didn't know there was a knux path until later and i thought you couldn't beat this level as knux

I'll do multiplayer as soon as I can get a netgame going.

EDIT: And I got a netgame going. Er, more like I joined Larzy's. Whatever.

Match

Fountain Hills Zone > Collapsing Cavern Zone > Volcanic Cliffs Zone (last updated 9/1/2014)

+alright layout
+easy to get around
-uninteresting; the only gimmick is just a glorified spring

-uninteresting
-deep lava in match is godawful
-just a sqaure
-it looks like your first map
(i personally call this map Square One Zone because WOW does this look like your first map)

+interesting idea
-too flat, even after all of the pits and rocks have fallen
-devoid of decoration

Capture the Flag

Canceled Flight Zone > Snowy Fortress Zone (last updated 9/1/2014)

+layout is nice
+many paths to take
+i LOVE using the elevators strategically
-outdoor area is nearly pointless
-bus area should've been used for more
(btw im still working on those polyobject buses even though i didn't get them done in time)

-uninteresting
-its literally a just a line with a pit in the middle
-looks like your second map

Overall, the SP section is magical, but the MP section is the worst I've seen in quite a while.

Last edited:
Single Player
Quickman by Zipper

Koopa Garrison Zone by Fawfulfan - B
The level has a lot of lag on my laptop, from a combination of the atrociously-optimized skybox and having a lot of sprites on screen in some places. (I think the overuse of small walls might have something to do with this. Also, please try to avoid spamming tiny FOFs, especially for things like the pipes. Those harm framerate and almost never look good.) Blue springs are used in some places as no more than a cheap way to avoid adding a stepping stone somewhere in a level; never use them above water.

There are a few jumps that are rather hard to make as Sonic, even with the elemental shield protecting the player from fire-based hazards, because of the relative smallness of the platform for the distance the player has to travel. Speaking of which, don't place an elemental shield so early on into the level when half of your hazards are fire-based, as it ends up trivializing a lot of the level. You should also be careful about the placement of spinning flamethrowers, as not only do they lag the game quite a bit, but some of the placement was also somewhat cheap, particularly in the room with said elemental shield and long jumps. I also hate cannonball launchers just as a general game mechanic, since they usually just mean randomly getting hit if you don't move in a certain way to avoid them. Finally, ax the entire tower climbing segment at the end; it's tedious, unfun and just looks sloppy. It's by far the most amateurish part of the level.

Now, with all that said, the actual level was pretty fun, with some interesting platforming (though I'm not a fan of rooms that make you redo a large chunk of platforming if you fall off somewhere). I enjoyed the abundance of secrets throughout the map, even if most of them just amounted to a boring square room with some rings or a life box. The use of thwomps as stepping stones was really creative and I greatly enjoyed their implementation. The gargoyle puzzles were also interesting, even if you used trapgoyles for some of them for no good reason. Graphics were acceptable, though could stand to be improved quite a bit by using some custom textures and a few visual tricks.

Cloud Convoy Zone by toaster - B+
I really like the concept of autoscroller levels, and this generally works pretty well. The main flaw is that depth perception in this game is horrible, especially from far away, and it harms the level tremendously. Any point where you need to be lined up vertically to make a jump will result in a lot of missed jumps and death the first time, and hitting specific things like buttons is almost impossible. I really wish you would've played around with lighting a bit to try and help that like I'd suggested to you while you were working on the map! This, combined with the lack of easier jumping to get used to the controls with, leads to the level being a lot harder than it really needs to be.

However, aside from that the level's great. There's some fun and challenging platforming in here, and the level doesn't overstay its welcome. Graphically it's as good as a level about planes could possibly be in SRB2's mostly boxy level format. The boss was pretty fun, though I will say that it seemed to drag on after a while, and cutting off ring supply entirely for the last three hits when recollecting dropped rings is impossible throughout the boss feels a bit mean.

Quickman by Zipper - B-
Let me preface this by saying that I hate the Mega Man style of gameplay. Also FIX THE CAMERA

That said, I enjoyed the main level. Even with the minimal path divergence, the placement of a few health FIX THE CAMERA bonuses out of the way was a nice incentive to look around, and the enemies were a legitimate challenge. FIX THE CAMERA I didn't mind having to get a running start for a few of the jumps, since it makes the gameplay more interesting and I wish the old MM FIX THE CAMERA games did it. The lasers also helped keep gameplay interesting, even if they made it multiplayer-unfriendly. Definitely look into doing FIX THE CAMERA something about that in the future.

The bosses were love-and-hate. (Also note that I haven't legitimately beat either FIX THE CAMERA one yet.) Quickman himself I didn't much care for; teleporting around everywhere and shooting lasers with lightning quick reactions wasn't FIX THE CAMERA a whole lot of fun to fight against. The secret toehoe boss was more fun; I liked the variety in FIX THE CAMERA attacks and how each one was adequately telegraphed, although I'm not a huge fan of the smaller straight-shot stars at the same time as the arced ones. The extra attack in the pinch FIX THE CAMERA phase was also wonderful. That said, I couldn't beat either, so I'm a bit salty about that. Give the players more FIX THE CAMERA lives next time pls.

Now, the main level did have a few issues. FIX THE CAMERA Namely that there were a lot of blind jumps, including FIX THE CAMERA at the very start. A lot of these could actually be FIX THE CAMERA solved without touching the level design, if you zoomed FIX THE CAMERA the camera out to match normal 2D mode's FIX THE CAMERA camera, though a few might still need FIX THE CAMERA tweaked. A few of the popup enemies were also placed in bad FIX THE CAMERA spots, making it impossible to get past them FIX THE CAMERA without taking a hit. FIX THE CAMERA It'd also be nice if they popped up from FIX THE CAMERA a bit farther away, so you can shoot them without FIX THE CAMFIX THE CAMERAERFFIX FIX THE CAMERATHE CAMERAIX THE CAMERAA immediately getting hit back.

Also SRB1 Remake race with Megaman and friendlyfire is fun lol

Autumn Valley Zone by Root - D
The alternate path was really silly, but I liked the thought of it. That said, the level's... pretty bad. There's only the most basic first-level-esque platforming to be found, and the teleporter was unnecessary. I think there are a few good ideas here, but there's a definite lack of experience evident here. Just keep mapping and you'll improve.

The custom textures weren't the ugliest thing I've ever seen, I suppose. also why no axis2d :'c

Phantom Gadget Zone by CoatRack - C+
First things first: I'm disappointed in your use of the generators. I was hoping you'd be using them to light up some of the map so I could actually see where I was going, but instead they were just... kind of there. There'd be one that just opened a door, and one that just raised a couple of platforms, but they didn't feel like they were used effectively. They could've been especially fun if powering them up caused some otherwise non-lethal floors to start sparking with electricity, but nope.

Second of all, that super-dark room wasn't fun. A lot of the dark rooms had issues, but the one that I swear had 0 lighting is the worst. Bumping into walls trying just to see where I'm going isn't very fun, and I had to bump my game up to the brightest gamma settings just to play it.

Third, that room where the lights come on and the platforms pop up out of the ground didn't work in co-op. That was super confusing when I played it in a netgame with some friends.

That said, I liked how badnik placement was an actual hazard. Except those crayon minuses. Those don't work in a dark setting. The room where you had to wade through water was also nice, as was the last room (I wish more of the level was like that). The level was also pretty nice graphically, when it was possible to see a thing. But those big three things I pointed out drag down the map's entertainment value significantly.

Shadow Castle Zone by Yacker and MudkipYeah! - C
This level would have been solid by 1.09.4 standards. There's no sense of misdirection, any challenges are made apparent on sight, and unobtrusive object placement keeps frustration down to a minimum. That said, there are a few issues here, that generally point to inexperienced mappers that will likely improve over time and become very good mappers very soon!

The level is generally pretty bland graphically, feeling more like an obstacle course than a real place. All this really means is you need to work on some more sector-based scenery, and go for large wall-spanning decoration as opposed to the small things and tombstones and such you have now. The platforming in general was good, though there were a few jumps that I had to twist my camera awkwardly to see; usually these were small platforms behind the platform you were currently on that you had to jump down to. Some other jumps felt kind of awkward to execute, whether they were just high enough to reach (Sonic can reach about 112 units in a jump, but it's uncomfortable; try to limit most jumps to 64 unless you're specifically blocking Knuckles off) or in a somewhat disorienting pattern. The latter isn't a huge issue, but it does feel somewhat amateurish.

The biggest problems were made apparent in the second half of the level. There was a 2D path that lasted all of three seconds and is very possible to get stuck in, feeling more like a waste of time than anything else (though I'll admit that secret in there was clever). The invisible path idea was good, but then you had a room with invisible walls arbitrarily forcing you to follow the twisting path, which is very bad execution. Finally, a lot of the gravity flipping felt like it was there to pad out for time, with no challenge to the level other than running down a path to find the next switch point. This is the perfect gimmick to make gravity puzzles with and it felt squandered.

Gravity Garden Zone by EvilEnternity3000 - A-
Really good. The lone issue I had with it is that sometimes getting out of certain pits meant searching for the lone spring to escape with. I also got stuck in one part that didn't have an escape spring. (Sorry for being so lazy with this review but I'm rushing to finish reviews and I don't feel a need to go on about how I loved the map :C)

Match

Fountain Hills Zone by blahblahbal - D
Big, flat, open, and confusing. Item placement could've been acceptable if the map itself wasn't pure garbage, but the layout was so terrible and flat that there was no fun to be had in the map. I will grant you that exploiting the water physics of the oddly-shaped water spouts to launch myself to the ceiling gave me a bit of a chuckle, but otherwise the map was just bad.

Volcanic Cliffs Zone by BlasterGuy - F-
The map is a flat open square with absolutely nonsensical item arrangements and an armageddon shield that always respawns as an armageddon shield. I'm giving this "first" place because unlike the other maps which were just bad, this managed to be so bad that it was entertaining. Watching everyone hop on the tiny-ass platforms trying to reach the nuke (and shooting them down while they did it, of course) was so hilarious that this was the only map I bothered to play more than once. But please ignore the ratings I gave and just try to make something more like an official map that isn't Meadow Match, please.

Collapsing Cavern Zone by Fawfulfan - F+
An open flat mess that only had any variety when you fell into a random crevice in the ground and got stuck. The collapsing gimmick was stupid and didn't work, serving only to make pits where there were none before. The falling rock spam over the grenade panel was unnecessary, especially when things like the SRM had no such protection. But uh... you tried, I guess? Eh.

Capture the Flag

These two maps both had very similar issues, so I'll outline those first. Both maps effectively had only one path from one base to the other, so there was no way to hide yourself going through the map. The bases in both maps were ineffective at providing opportunities for defense, serving mostly as small holes to run the flag to with an occasional pole or something to obstruct movement. Following are a couple of comments about the individual maps:

Canceled Flight Zone by Fawfulfan - C-
I thought the elevators were neat until it turned out they put you in the normal rooms instead of leading to an alternate path like I initially thought they did. So they actually served no purpose other than to trap the schmuck that decides to run into one! Congratulations on that blunder. Allowing the players to run outside was also a bad idea, as the wide expanses of nothing but a couple of planes meant hiding with the flag was easy, as the doorways to the outside were difficult to notice. The map looked okay, though.

Snowy Fortress Zone by BlasterGuy - D+
Running around on the ice was entertaining for a bit, but there was no place to hide except for the pool in the middle of the map, which made you a sitting duck for snipers when you sprung out anyway. Team rings also should've been used for the whole base rather than just the flag room. And there weren't enough rings in the pathway between bases. Add an alternate path, please.

Last edited:
Single Player
Gravity Garden Zone > Koopa Garrison Zone > Phantom Gadget Zone > Quickman > Cloud Convoy Zone > Autumn Valley Zone
Gravity Garden Zone by EvilEnternity3000 - I like the level a lot, it's really pretty. I like the music you picked for the level, and the way the gravity gimmick works here.

Koopa Garrison Zone by Fawfulfan - The level size isn't too big or too small, it's the perfect size. I love how you made the airships.

Phantom Gadget Zone, by CoatRack - The texture choices are fine, only problem I had with this is the lasers. Other then that, keep up the good work.

Quickman, by Zipper - When I saw the name, I didn't expect this to be a megaman style level.

Cloud Convoy Zone, by toaster - I like how you executed this, you don't see many maps where you can drive the plane. But I think the plane would have fitted well with the map if you used better sprites.

Shadow Castle Zone, by Yacker and MudkipYeah! -The visuals are dull and borning, the 2D section is pointless. It needs to be less liner.

Autumn Valley Zone by Root - Too short, no checkpoints, not enough rings.

Moderator Notice:
Note for Tally: Single Player Invalid

Match
Collapsing Cavern Zone > Fountain Hills Zone > Volcanic Cliffs Zone
Collapsing Cavern Zone by Fawfulfan - I like how the level changes and the rocks starts to fall from a different part of the map.

Fountain Hills Zone by blahblahbal - The visual needs more work, needs to be less green and brown, and have more scenery.

Volcanic Cliffs Zone by BlasterGuy - Make the map a bigger, add more weapon panels, and replace the Armageddon shield monitor with a SRM or WRM.

CTF
Canceled Flight Zone > Snowy Fortress Zone
Canceled Flight Zone by Fawfulfan - It's good for a airport ctf level, only problem I have with it is that the light level needs to be a bit brighter and the level needs to be longer.

Snowy Fortress Zone by BlasterGuy - Too squareish, too easy to get to the other base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I was really not that thrilled when it came to this OLDC but I still had tons of fun playing through some levels despite some of them being awful. Here are my votes and reviews.

Single Player Division
This level has amazing visuals and I enjoyed it start to finish despite some lag issues (which was easily reduced when I turned my screen resolution down). When I was playing it I swear I thought I was playing Super Mario 3D Land/World because the environment and lighting is something that I would see from the game. I have a slight feeling that Jay did the Bowser flag however...

I did find myself playing this level over and over again until the point that I thought everything in real life was moving to the left. No joke. But seriously, this level is fun for what it is despite some control issue. If I was to make this level better, I would make the platforms near the middle of the level much more wider because I got screwed over so many times by missing the platform each time.

Quickman by Zipper
This actually surprised me at first. I was expecting a port of Quickman's stage from Mega Man 2 but this is way better. Mega Man felt like he should of when playing a Mega Man game and I personally enjoyed it. I applaud the effort that was put into the making of this wad.

This level is not that good. It's really short and it lacks any rings, checkpoints, or even enemies for that matter. Also the sky box is an eyestrain due to the water scrolling to the right and all the textures are not that good in my opinion. If you wanted to use autumn textures, you could have used this.

Phantom Gadget by CoatRack
I always love your maps Coat and I was really looking forward to this map in particular but alas, there seems to be a lot of stuff missing that you wanted to add in but didn't make the cut due to time restraints. The enemies and theme were really freakin' clever but my complaints for this map are the lighting issues and the ear rape that is the new turrets that you put in. Seriously, I had to mute my sound because of them. Hopefully the full version comes out another day and everyone can see Phantom Gadget on what it was supposed to be. Next time if people give you grief about wanting to submit a level that is unfinished, tell them that it'll be finished when it's finished.

Shadow Castle Zone by Yacker & MudkipYeah!
Even though the design and visuals were lacking, I still had fun playing through this level with Speedwagon. The Sonic Heroes gimmicks were cool and I'm surprised that I haven't seen a level that has actually done the invisible path throughout my three years of being on here. Also Boogie Boogie is my one weakness.

Man was this level fun! I love the visuals and the main gimmick that was presented in this level. It works really well and you are not punished for any mistakes made for using the gimmick incorrectly. The music is also very good as well and catchy as hell. I personally can't wait what you have up your sleeves for your next submission.

Multiplayer Division
Match
I genuinely enjoyed this level as a whole. Nothing too crazy was happening except for the fountains but that's about it. Some weapon panels were hard to find though but other than that, it was a pretty decent level (which is good in my book). Keep up the work.

Everything that you had done in this level is completely wrong. I don't know how a Match level is made personally but the monitors were not randomized therefore making powerups such as an Attraction Shield or even the Armageddon Shield really common, the weapon panels were place in really awkward spots, and the overall design of the level is dreadful. You have literally no where to go.

This level is too boring in my opinion with it's flat level design and overall blandness. The gimmick of the level is I admit, a good idea. It just feels like it wasn't executed correctly. It almost felt forced in my opinion.

CTF
It's amazing that this level was made without any custom content whatsoever. I remember my one friend freaking out on how much work you had put into this lol. But seriously, while I like the theme and all, it just feels flawed. I was hoping to actually go into the planes and hideout in there while my friends fight to the death but to my disappointment, I could not enter in the planes. The level also felt too big for my tastes and from my personal experience in a netgame just last night, it was hard trying to find other players. Plus one thing I should note is that the flag might be unobtainable sometimes because it is in the floor. Don't know why that happens.

The level design is really linear and there are no points of interests whatsoever in the level making it really boring to play and uninteresting. Also the rings are really scarce.

FINAL RESULTS
1st. Cloud Convoy Zone
2nd. Gravity Garden Zone
3rd. Koopa Garrision Zone
4th. Quickman
5th. Phantom Gadget
6th. Shadow Castle Zone
7th. Autumn Valley Zone

Match
1st. Fountain Hills Zone
2nd. Collapsing Cavern Zone
3rd. Volcanic Cliffs Zone

CTF
1st. Canceled Flight Zone
2nd. Snowy Fortress Zone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back