• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio - *In English! - Progress Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll have to miss this upcoming OLDC, but it'll probably be done by the next one. I still have plenty to add!

How does it feel to be a convicted game molester, you criminal? This is unforgivably cool. You think you're going to get away with this?

I'm still curious as to how you're going to fit the Dumbventure aspect into it. Volume One was, well... quite literally a dumb venture (but still good!). This, on the other hand, almost seems too good. Can't wait to see how you pull it off this time!

also yo I fixed the starman

Last edited:
I just looked at that Starman again, and it looks really good, I also like how the enemies disapear like if it was magic, POOF, enemy is gone.

DeliciousFirsthandBordercollie.gif

And now, Orange Pipes mechanics! Because I don't have enough flavors of things to trigger, Orange Pipes are triggered by this button via the Custom 1 key, and they move orange pipes up and down, often bringing up land with them. However...

DeadAlarmedBlackfootedferret.gif

...Orange Pipes go back down after a set amount of time, so you better get to where you need to go, and quick! But if you mess up, you can go back to the switch to try it again.

Basically, if its something that you can read, someone you can talk to, or is orange and has an exclamation mark on it, its something you can interact with using the Custom 1 key, as indicated by the orange exclamation mark above the lives counter. Speaking of, I know the exclamation mark on the Orange Pipe button kinda sucks, I'll end up replacing it later.

Last edited:
Hmm... I honestly think they need to just be floor buttons, triggered by simply standing on them. On the other hand, they'd make more sense if you hit them with the hammer, mainly because Custom 1 as far as I know is related to reading/talking/etc., while the hammer seems to be more for physical things (Like P switches and whatnot). I'm sure somebody would think to hit the Hammer button before Custom 1.

Also, the platforms above the pipes look a bit odd without grass fringe surrounding them. But then again, they'd look weird with grass fringe when not raised. Purely aesthetic thing, and I don't think there's a solution to that.

Keep up the good work, though.

Last edited:
The main reason it isn't a hammer is because of how the hammer works; its an object that spawns over where the hammer's sprite would be. However, this object alone cannot trigger things, and making it due to via tagging it Pushable could lead to other problems, such as triggering things the player shouldn't be able to trigger at all. Not only that, but the hammer does not change depending on if you hit a wall or not, and there's no way to trigger things by hitting a wall with anything at all, and to make the player be able to hit a wall, it'd have to be sideways and then lose or hamper visibility of the button, as the hammer does not strike directly up or down, only ahead of the player. There's also the fact that when you hit something with a hammer, it gets destroyed, like with ? switches, while this wall mounted button can be reactivated after a period of time. With a hammer, its clear you crush something, but with Custom 1 activated objects, you rarely cannot activate them again. So far, everything a Custom 1 can trigger can be retriggered.

I also don't like floor touch triggers for this kind of thing, because it forces the player to activate it if they may not need to just yet. It should be something the player can trigger on command, and that's not so clear or controllable with a floor touch. It also feels kind of awkward to just stand on something to activate something like this. I mean, if you were Ground Pounding the object or something, sure, but not just taking a step on it.

I'd really like the Custom 1 ! trigger sign to be bigger and more visible. Hell, I'd even plop it down in the centre of the bottom of the screen where the player is more likely to be looking.

I was actually thinking of putting it over Mareio's head, like the red exclamation mark instead of where it is now, and make it so it becomes a star at the edge of the text box during text you can advance. I'll look into it later.

The main reason it isn't a hammer is because of how the hammer works; its an object that spawns over where the hammer's sprite would be. However, this object alone cannot trigger things, and making it due to via tagging it Pushable could lead to other problems, such as triggering things the player shouldn't be able to trigger at all.

Just put a trigger to call a Lua script, and check for the player's state being one of Mareio's hammer swing states. (Yeah, I know, you're going to use Custom 1 for these buttons, but this is just if you ever want to do something like this in the future).

Also, will you ever replace that vanilla sky? While even a custom sky would be better, I really think a Paper Mario-esque skybox would be lovely.

Last edited:
I hope to replace it eventually, but Paper Mario skies are of improper size for SRB2, and I dunno what else to use to replace them, except maybe Yoshi's Island or other All Stars skies. Not sure if I wanna go with skyboxes just yet, either.

Last edited:
GrossNaiveAfricancivet.gif

For years, the Mario blocks would always make non-shootable, non-coin objects stand directly onto the block you made them appear from... And you'd have to find your way above it just to get it due to your low jump height. Now, that's no longer an issue! I'll see about making items properly bounce later. Maybe adjust the arch so it doesn't go so far when onto the ground and has more height.

I absolutely adore this project. It's a beautifully original bit of custom scripting and spriting that creates a truly new experience, far above and beyond even what the original Dumbventure did. I'm eagerly looking forward to its release.

Man, sometimes I look at these gifs and I forget this is even SRB2. This should be a full-fledged mod release after the OLDC it enters cools down. Or whatever qualifies for this much LUA.

Ey, it's been awhile since the last update, hasn't it? Well, I tried designing more of a level... but then got stuck for awhile and stopped, but I was thinking about the camera the other day, so I decided to work on it more. This is a pretty big tweak.

BriefFlatDoe.gif

When you're in the air for a certain amount of time (a little more than the time it would take to make a full jump from the ground and land), the camera pans down to give you a look below. This is to make it much easier to stomp on things below you. It could use a bit more tweaking, and I have no idea why it looks like you feel down on that second goomba so fast, but I feel this could be really important for some segments.

I also plan to add a button that makes the camera toggle between high and low, so you can automatically see low when doing normal platforming, if needed.

The shift of the camera seems rather sudden and jarring... perhaps if the movement was slower, it would look a bit better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back