SRB2: Not just for English speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrow

Old-school composer
My two websites are two of the mirrors for the 1.09.4 download (specifically mirrors 1 and 2). This has caused a wonky change to my bandwidth and site stats over the last two and a half years, and I thought it got crazy enough to tell you guys about it. Though for the purposes of ease of capping, I'm only going to bother pulling stats from January 2009, and only from one of the domains (rangerwiki.com).

The subdomain that the install is stored in tends to pull down about 440gb of bandwidth a month (I get a ridonculous 7.5tb, for the record). That averages out to about 215 people downloading the demo from my site each day. Without fail, the install will take up 99% of traffic to that subdomain each month.

And now comes the wacky part.

srb2d1.jpg

srb2d2.jpg

That's just the top 50 of 298 referrers, but the rest of the list is much the same: 95% random game download sites (with another 1% being translation sites). But check out where they come from.

srb2d3.jpg

My Dad is trying to convince me to create some kind of link funnel that makes people browse a Portugese Amazon store before downloading, but as alluring as it sounds, that tiptoes on the legal border, so we'll see. XD

God damn. This is quite impressive and surprising if I do say so myself.
People might be just downloading from the SRB2 mirror and uploading them on some other server for other people. Sendspace or Megaupload for example. The only reason I could think of is that the download speed is too slow for them.

That's certainly a possibility, but on the other hand, everyone of those foreign game cites that take up 270 of my 298 referrers are direct links to my site, assumedly just because they grabbed the Mirror #1 link and that was that. If people ARE re-uploading elsewhere, I'd obviously have no way of finding out.

1.1 has been retooled to allow for 'language packs', since apparently SRB2 is very popular in South America. Sik did a Spanish translation of most of SRB2.

SSNTails said:
1.1 has been retooled to allow for 'language packs', since apparently SRB2 is very popular in South America. Sik did a Spanish translation of most of SRB2.

Whatever happened to him? He never showed his face around here again, and he asked me to make a pivot animation for him... =(

Callum said:
And I started a Japanese translation of SRB2, maybe I'll get round to finishing it =)

Err... it's gotta be able to use the ASCII charset...

Ice said:
SSNTails said:

Whatever happened to him? He never showed his face around here again, and he asked me to make a pivot animation for him... =(

He's still about, just not on this Message Board anymore, which is forgivable, really.

Alexmonk0 said:
Ice said:
SSNTails said:

He's still about, just not on this Message Board anymore, which is forgivable, really.

I still see him.

SSNTails said:
Callum said:
And I started a Japanese translation of SRB2, maybe I'll get round to finishing it =)

Err... it's gotta be able to use the ASCII charset...

I'll find a way around that, all I have done thus far is the actual translation of the words, sentences and stuff anyway.

In that case we could probably do with something that makes it like music, as in, if it only replaces characters (text, not Sonic >_>) then it shouldn't modify or stop you from joining netgames, and shouldn't need downloading...

Ice said:
SSNTails said:
Boo. And you had done the animation already, just I simply left the board and didn't make the new SRB2-Town page (for which the animation was) =P

Finally, an intelligent post in all the community! That thing of translate the game to different languages is good. You must know that South America and Argentina isn't the only SRB2 comunnity in Spanish. In Spain, great part of the Sonic forums have a part dedicated to SRB2. Tournaments, community and more.

Sik said:
Ice said:
SSNTails said:
Boo. And you had done the animation already, just I simply left the board and didn't make the new SRB2-Town page (for which the animation was) =P

Oh yeah huh. I just still didn't see the page that it was supposed to be on and such. I miss all of your =P's ...

You know, it's annoying where 1 in 3 people on my server are brazillian.
And i KNOW when it's them because they use improper english, take an example of a conversation when people started to vote for coop and race at the same time and the same people. :/

Example: (Me as Garee here.)

<Garee (Neon)>: So do you want to race on coop levels or just play coop?
<Forgot-Name>: Yes.
<Garee (Neon)>: That dosent answer my question.
<Forgot-Name>: Coop.
Speeding off to level...
<Forgot-Name>: Race on Coop
<Garee (Neon)>: Nnnnnnggg... (Okay, i made this part up...because i was thinking it...)
Speeding off to level...

(BTW - i typed that out as i dont actually have the log of that happened. XD)

---
Proof that there's loads of Brazillian people - does my message have a point? Not really. Yet, i'm getting extremely annoyed when half the server dont even understand what i'm saying - And i'm good at understanding and speaking to people like that. >.<'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back