About bots in Srb2 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

*Reading*
There's any Srb2 2.1 mod which allow bots in Match/CTF, similar to the old SRB2JTE/SRB2CD?

It's a shame.
Porting the code directly won't work, as it's so outdated that outdated things are more newer than that
perhaps if the code was heavily modified until a point is reached where the bot will at least attack, then we may get somewhere

More like remaking the code will have to involve a heavily complicated AI thinker to work with objects, players, bosses, enemies, level geometry, other bots etc. As well as making separate thinkers to work for co-op, ringslinger, team ringslinger, race, etc.

In other words, you have to be a god damn coder of the century to actually make this all work in single AND multi-player, as well as capping the bot limit to the max amount of empty nodes in a server, how each bot will interact with things/each other, etc.

No bots, stop asking for bots, and if you really want bots, you're more than welcome to do some code yourself.

It's a shame.
Porting the code directly won't work, as it's so outdated that outdated things are more newer than that
perhaps if the code was heavily modified until a point is reached where the bot will at least attack, then we may get somewhere

The problem is the level of effort it would take to even get a bot to function in 2.2 is not worth the payoff. I get that the bots of old were fun, but they were also severely primitive in how they behaved. Scripting something complex enough to handle SRB2 now would be a nightmare. Slopes alone complicate the problem tremendously (Getting a bot to understand how to jump over a wall is easier than getting it to understand how to set itself up enough momentum to get over half pipes of arbitrary sizing, for instance). The Tails SP bot is just a really simple bot that follows you around and suicides if you stray too far from it. Anything more complex than that is really difficult to do.

The problem is the level of effort it would take to even get a bot to function in 2.2 is not worth the payoff. I get that the bots of old were fun, but they were also severely primitive in how they behaved. Scripting something complex enough to handle SRB2 now would be a nightmare. Slopes alone complicate the problem tremendously (Getting a bot to understand how to jump over a wall is easier than getting it to understand how to set itself up enough momentum to get over half pipes of arbitrary sizing, for instance). The Tails SP bot is just a really simple bot that follows you around and suicides if you stray too far from it. Anything more complex than that is really difficult to do.
thing is, we already have that tailsbot and the wip match bod wad
couldn't we take that in mind and see if we make something of it?

thing is, we already have that tailsbot and the wip match bod wad
couldn't we take that in mind and see if we make something of it?

The SP tails bot is designed for SP only and it is programmed to follow the player, not shoot everything in its sight.
And for the second one, "WIP match [bot] wad"? Is that a thing?

Coding a bot that takes a lot of stuff into account to properly do stuff is complex enough for people to be uninterested in doing it.

Those aren't real bots, they're just NPC objects.
I haven't looked into the WAD yet, but I believe they just follow some actions.
If there is some Lua, it coooould be ported into the source code.

Last edited:
Those aren't real bots, they're just NPC objects.
I haven't looked into the WAD yet, but I believe they just follow some actions.
If there is some Lua, it coooould be ported into the source code.

Yep I'm the creator and there's Lua in it and SOC stuff in it is just controlled mostly through Lua but the latest version is in development hell but it is a big update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back