Was SRB2 based off Sonic Xtreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreada

Also known as David G.
I remember when I played a few earlier versions of Sonic Robo Blast 2. I also saw gameplay videos of Sonic Xtreme.

Although there were a handful of major differences, like the art style, I get the same vibes when I feel them both. Not to mention Sonic's sprites from those early versions are from Xtreme.

So is SRB2 inspired by Xtreme in any way, or is it just a few similarities and Sonic's sprites?

There's definitely some inspiration from X-Treme in how SRB2 plays, in that it is a 3D platformer with the style and theme of the classic Sonic games. The Sonic sprites are also based off of the X-Treme design if I recall and the Buzz design comes from the ancient Sonic X-Treme demos as well.

Over time though SRB2 has developed its own identity and quirks. It definitely started off with X-Treme as the base inspiration though, albeit without the fish eye camera and a different perspective.

And place holder Sonic X-Treme Player sprites as seen in Halloween tech and the Christmas demos

Last edited:
No. At the time the only information available about X-Treme were a few screenshots and some sprites. There wasn't much to 'base off' of.

I think SRB2 was based on the 1999 "Sonic the Hedgehog" movie. Or at least the style characters look in the intro, Brak eggman and all his sounds, metal sonic, etc. are based on it.

Last edited:
For the record, the Sonic OVA originally came out in 1996 in Japan; 1999 is when it was released for North America.

...just putting that out there in case people remembered SRB2 started as far back as 1998, that's all.

Are you defending the idea that it was based off that, or denying it?

But hang on, didn't the opening of SRB1 use South Islands theme from that movie? But it had Knothole, so is it based off the comics? Or-...Jesus Christ this really was a hodge-podge wasn't it?

I'd think it's safe enough to say SRB2 wasn't based on one particular thing from ≤ 1998.

I'd also assume, since Sonikku was ~13(?) at that time, that he simply borrowed elements from Sonic-related media and crammed it into SRB1/2, with a more comic/classics-centric focus for SRB1. The current form of SRB2 had its player sprites pretty much constructed from an understanding of what Sonic looked like by memory, although I would look at the comics to see what the different angles of Sonic look like to get a better idea of what I'm drawing. Unless otherwise, beyond 3D movement and visuals, both X-treme and SRB2 are really just similar in looks, if I'm honest.

For the record, the Sonic OVA originally came out in 1996 in Japan; 1999 is when it was released for North America.

...just putting that out there in case people remembered SRB2 started as far back as 1998, that's all.

Ah, but I imported it in 1997 (which was super hard and expensive to do back then) and vidcapped it. Before then, it was otherwise unavailable nearly anywhere outside Japan. I also made a fansub of the first episode.

I mean, look, Knuckles has a hat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPpLqlFmro

Ah, but I imported it in 1997 (which was super hard and expensive to do back then) and vidcapped it. Before then, it was otherwise unavailable nearly anywhere outside Japan. I also made a fansub of the first episode.

That is seriously awesome. Then, I suppose you speak Japanese? I had no idea.

That is seriously awesome. Then, I suppose you speak Japanese? I had no idea.

Hah, no. A fellow by the name of JavaFox had already done a translation in two notepad text files (which I still have!)

GuyWithPie3376 said:
I also noticed that Sonic's shade of blue in the sprites is identical to the shade of blue used in his X-Treme sprites.

Not really -- X-Treme is definitely darker.

I noticed that it takes quite a bit of inspiration from a lot of games. What sonic fan-game isn't? (Other than Freedom Planet for however long it was a fan-game) In addition to that, WhackJood is correct.

It seems to take some roots from Sonic 2 in terms of color. The game showcases vivid colors, and that's what Sonic 2 loved to do. It has gravity reversal from Sonic 3. It has the jump dash from Sonic Adventure. Then there's roll physics like Sonic 1.

In general, it seems to be a game that tries to take the classics, 3D-ify it, and admittedly using the Doom engine gives it some classic charm to boot. It's nice to look at.

Anyway, this is a perspective from someone who got the game very recently, compared to many of you. (17 years.. Oh boy..)

I do notice a lot of Sonic OVA in there, like "Brak" (Black) Eggman, the art design, and the sprites. I was visiting with my biological grandmother who lived in Japan at the time, and it was one of the movies at the hotel. I plugged it in and got hooked on the blue blur. It was really exciting!

Doom isn't so much an "inspiration" for SRB2 so much as SRB2's current engine actually being a modification of the Doom Legacy engine (with some bits and bobs from other Doom-related games/mods, and original content of course). Totally different things there.

On the other hand, I think Sonic Doom 2 may have partially inspired SRB2's move to said engine. Only SSNTails and anyone else who was there back then can verify that, I guess.

It's actually made using Doom Legacy's engine. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)
But I don't think it was inspired by Doom 2.

Edit: ninja'd

I mean, look, Knuckles has a hat!

And a time when Tails had a cold! And the owl! And Dr. Robotnik sitting with the mayor's daughter to play video games! I seriously went back to see it again, you brought back good memories with this.

On the other hand, I think Sonic Doom 2 may have partially inspired SRB2's move to said engine. Only SSNTails and anyone else who was there back then can verify that, I guess.

Wasn't Sonic Doom 2 that oddly mapped Sonic-based Doom wad? I thought it was based off Doom 2 as well, for a while... They're both the sequel, makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back