SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Miscellaneous

Checkered Zig Zags, a graphics replacement! (CheckeredZigZags.wad) Details »»
Checkered Zig Zags, a graphics replacement! (CheckeredZigZags.wad)
Version: v1.3, by TheCrowbar (Generally Unimportant) TheCrowbar is offline
Developer Last Online: Aug 2016

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 4.00 average)
Released: 03-21-2016 Last Update: Never Installs: 4
Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Checkered Zig Zags is a simple graphic replacement with the intent of making SRB2 a bit more interesting and colorful!

I attempted to keep the overall "feel" that the original SRB2 had while still making things flashy enough so that it all doesn't seem too samey. You can also expect some resemblances to Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles!

NOTE: If you wish to, you can use "CZZTitleCards.wad" and/or "CZZRings.wad" in conjunction with the regular wad to bring back the previous title card and ring-shaped match rings graphics, respectively. (Add them AFTER you've added the main wad!)

Changelog:
Spoiler:

v1.5a: - Edited graphics for:
-BSZ's Tulips
-Emblem for Ring collecting
-New graphics for CTF's HUD Flags.
v1.5: - Edited graphics for:
-Monitors
-Springs
-End Plate
-Title Cards' Numbers
-Super Sparkle
-CTF Mode's Flags
-Tag Mode's "IT" icon
-NiGHTS Mode's third help screen
-The Title Screen's background
-Added an extra frame for the Starpost due to the 2.1.15 patch.
v1.4: - New graphics for:
- CEZ's Ceiling Chains
- Ideya Capture
- Super Sparkles
- Invincibility Sparkles
- FIXED: The Title Cards' shadow.
- FIXED: CZZRings.wad used the wrong graphic for the Rail Ring's HUD icon.
v1.3: - New graphics for:
- Match rings
- HUD numbers
- Minor improvements regarding the file size.
- "CZZTitleCards.wad" and "CZZRings.wad" are now available. They use the previous title card and ring-shaped match rings graphics, respectively. Instructions above.
v1.2: - There's now a "CheckeredZigZagsX" wad inside the rar, this one doesn't have annoying title cards.

v1.1: -New graphics for the help screens.
-Removed the original SRB2's Ideya Capture sprites.

Download Now

File Type: rar CheckeredZigZags v1.5a.rar (255.0 KB, 1251 views)
File Type: rar CZZTitleCard.rar (6.6 KB, 800 views)
File Type: rar CZZRings.rar (20.0 KB, 741 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	TitleScreen.gif
Views:	1000
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	8777   Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayerSelect.gif
Views:	1144
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	8778   Click image for larger version

Name:	In-Game.gif
Views:	1200
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	8779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiplayer.gif
Views:	1045
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	8780  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 04-04-2016   #42
HeroLarcio

1 2 3 4 5 6 3 8 9 0

Darn it 3.
HeroLarcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #43
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Yeah STTNUM7 actually displays a 3, you may want to fix that.

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 04-04-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Monster Iestyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #44
TheCrowbar
Generally Unimportant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
well, thecrowbar got that wrong! he needs to make a number 7 patch
Hmmm, new patch just for the number seven? Now, that seems like a chance you only get in a millio- Yeah screw that.
It's updated, now! But still v1.3 because I wasn't supposed to be so incompententandohmygodthatwassodumbofmeplskillme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK.exe View Post
I know i'm being picky here but i find it quite annoying that everything is in separate files, couldn't you just put all the files in one zip?
That was the issue, though. I'd have to make separate files with all possible combinations. So I decided to make tiny filesized wads with just the optional stuff. Otherwise, it would be annoying to whoever just wanted to download the regular wad, without the optional stuff.
I can understand why it would be inconvenient, but why not use the SRB2 launcher? It'll probably make things a lot easier.

EDIT: ALSO, the thing about the title screen sky? Yeah, you're supposed to use the recommended resolutions. Trying windowed mode should help.

Last edited by TheCrowbar; 04-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.
TheCrowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #45
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrowbar View Post
That was the issue, though. I'd have to make separate files with all possible combinations. So I decided to make tiny filesized wads with just the optional stuff. Otherwise, it would be annoying to whoever just wanted to download the regular wad, without the optional stuff.
I can understand why it would be inconvenient, but why not use the SRB2 launcher? It'll probably make things a lot easier.
Its not a big deal but that makes sense and yes i do use Srb2 Launcher. I just dont like to have tons of wads on. Thankfully the sizes aren't that big
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016   #46
Murilo
Elyos03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrowbar View Post
Hmmm, new patch just for the number seven? Now, that seems like a chance you only get in a millio- Yeah screw that.
It's updated, now! But still v1.3 because I wasn't supposed to be so incompententandohmygodthatwassodumbofmeplskillme.

Nevermind the title screen sky! Just replace the "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 8 9" with "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" on the HUD Numbers to make it more numerically accurate! That keeps bothering me and makes me no longer use your wad!
Murilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016   #47
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Didn't he just say he fixed the HUD numbers issue though?
Old 04-05-2016   #48
TheCrowbar
Generally Unimportant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Nevermind the title screen sky! Just replace the "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 8 9" with "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" on the HUD Numbers to make it more numerically accurate! That keeps bothering me and makes me no longer use your wad!
You sure did a good job on quoting my post but... How about you read the entire thing? Or y'know... At least the part in the beginning that says "It's updated, now!"?

Last edited by TheCrowbar; 04-05-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2016   #49
HeroLarcio

How's this wad doing? It's been a while.
HeroLarcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #50
TheCrowbar
Generally Unimportant

New update's here! It adds some small things and fix some small things as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroLarcio View Post
How's this wad doing? It's been a while.
Yeah it has been a while, huh? I don't really have an excuse other than lack of interest... Sorry!

It seemed like the wad was complete and there wasn't much of the original graphics that really made me want to edit them in some way (Which is kind of surprising since I might have literally just changed 3 pixels in one of DSZ's graphics for dripping water >_>)
...But if there IS something that anyone wanted to see edited in CZZ's "style" (If you could even call it that) I am, still, open for suggestions!
Old 07-02-2016   #51
Chaotic Chao 3
Sir Dope Tails

I know this may be an offtopic question and just making sure about this question.

Graphic Wads are recommended for a server to download and play with, right?

Last edited by Chaotic Chao 3; 07-02-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: "Kind of like a music wad for example." What's my problem?
Chaotic Chao 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016   #52
Sapheros
That guy that ports

They are a required download. It affects the graphics in the game, which have changed, similar to Carlos' JettySyn remake.
Old 07-02-2016   #53
Chaotic Chao 3
Sir Dope Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
They are a required download. It affects the graphics in the game, which have changed, similar to Carlos' JettySyn remake.
Oh, I was thinking about custom palettes.
Spoiler: Welp...
I'm a loser...:P
Chaotic Chao 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #54
TheCrowbar
Generally Unimportant

Version 1.5 released!

I looked back at some of the graphics I edited, and it made me realize that a couple of them were a little bit TOO similar to SRB2's or even somewhat of an eyesore. This update is meant to fix that! ...To some extent!

There is a list of all the edits in the changelog.

EDIT: Crap! I forgot to fix BSZ's tulips' red/purple colors! They were like that for a long time now, weren't they... So, minor update on that.
I also changed the Ring Emblems to something that makes more sense and added the CTF Flags' HUD icons!

Last edited by TheCrowbar; 08-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2016   #55
Chrome
Working on Digital Empire

So I've gotta ask, is it okay if I use some of your graphics for my levelpack? I've been looking around for some graphics to help differentiate from vanilla, and some of yours pretty much fit the bill. You'll be in the credits when it finishes too! someday...
Old 10-04-2016   #56
TheCrowbar
Generally Unimportant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
So I've gotta ask, is it okay if I use some of your graphics for my levelpack? I've been looking around for some graphics to help differentiate from vanilla, and some of yours pretty much fit the bill. You'll be in the credits when it finishes too! someday...
Yes! That's perfectly fine by me. I did mark it as Reusable Content for a reason, after all!

Apologies for the delayed reply, as well.
Old 10-04-2016   #57
Blaze The Cat
& Knuckles

That title card can get very obnoxious, because it takes up a large portion of the screen as well as starts the timer right away and gives you immediate control. While I appreciate you taking a classic approach, it starts the timer and gives control AFTER the intro title card goes away, which is why it was generally not an annoyance as it is now.
Blaze The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017   #58
Steel Titanium

Hey, the 7 on the HUD still looks like a 3.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017   #59
Lach
what the thok mate??

Using this with race makes the countdown numbers not show up. I opened the wad and found that the Y offset for those textures is -180. This mod's been out for a while so updating it might be impractical, but if you ever do for some reason, please fix this! :)
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #60
Soulman Model CE

I just tried this wad on v2,1.19, and for some reason it disables saving!
Soulman Model CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #61
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

That's because (unfortunately) this kind of mod still triggers cheat protection on being added, despite the fact it's a HUD mod. You'll have to avoid adding it if you want to save the game.