November/December 2010 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiplayer votes first.

-MATCH-

ZarroTsu's Setting Sands Zone - 7/10
Good, but too big. It wasn't confusing, but the hugeness of the map made it hard to find players. This would work well in a 16 player or so match. There were also some death pits I jumped in thinking there was a floor down there.

Mystic's Celestial Sanctuary Zone - 7/10

Another good one, but a bit confusing. I liked the weapon ring placement.

Scizor300's Quick Cliffs Zone - 5/10
Not bad. but nothing special. Kind of bland.

Brawls's Orange Stream Zone - 4/10
That random crusher that comes out of nowhere is sudden shock that disrupts the match. I also found some kind of secret room that just teleports you out of it.

-CTF-

Teleporter 412's Castle CTF Zone - 0/10
Um, what? The teleporters only work half the time, and I could never find the flags. That inescapable room with the yin yang makes it even worse.

Kuba11's Water Hall Zone - 3/10
This is a decent map but it felt more like hide and seek than CTF. There are too many nooks and crannies to hide in and we eventually had to skip the map because we went into overtime but still nobody could find the flag holders.

RedEchidna's Seaside Strike Zone - 5/10
Average, mostly. I like the higher path better than the lower one. The underwater area near the base is a great hiding place since you can stay out of view but your time down there is limited.

Charybdisz's Gravity Garden Zone - 2/10
It wasn't clear where the bases were and the flags were hidden behind the tall grass. The Gravity Boots weren't very useful and usually just made you fall into the sky and die, especially when the Recycler gave them to you at a bad time.

Metal Fighter's Volcanic Temple Zone - 3/10
The timed lava falls were annoying, and it wasn't obvious where the bases were. It was also pretty confusing.

-CIRCUIT-

Simsmagic's Mushroom Hill Zone - 4/10
This map was confusing, and the starposts didn't work unless you touched them, which was very annoying.

Katmint's Cherry Canyon Zone - N/A
I don't see why everybody thinks this map is so hard, the only difficult part is the springs at the end. Of course, I'm not saying it's a good map, because it isn't.

Kuba11's Sunken Cave - 5/10
The massive amount of blockades was annoying, but it was decent otherwise.

Spongecar's Greenflower Rush Zone - 1/10
The entire race was blind because of 2D mode, the platforms were way too far apart to make accurate jumps. At least this one works.

Brawl's Disco Dash Zone - 0/10
I keep getting thrown off track into a pit and misaligned with objects. Maybe it's possible to complete a lap once in a blue moon, but seriously, this thing is broken. Also, the turrets were a very bad idea.

Last edited:
Katmint's Cherry Canyon Zone - N/A
I don't see why everybody thinks this map is so hard, the only difficult part is the springs at the end. Of course, I'm not saying it's a good map, because it isn't.
You aren't the one playing it from a player's perspective. This is your map, so you know all the twists and turns, we don't.

You aren't the one playing it from a player's perspective. This is your map, so you know all the twists and turns, we don't.

I understand that happens, it's just that the massive struggle everyone in the netgame was having didn't make sense to me even with that in mind.

Thing is, we're trying to race though it. Not calculate where we need to jump. Using all that red doesn't help either.

Waitaminute, Thompson LIVES? Then what happened to his 2k6 mod? Canceled? o-o"
Anyway, I'll go play these maps right away.
Edit after opening his level: LOL.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I couldn't submit anything for this contest. Instead, I'll just vote on the single player maps for now.

Icicle Warehouse by glaber - 2/10

I don't know about you, but I play SRB2 to get some challenging gameplay, not to run through ugly hallway collections like this. I mean, this level just had no challenge whatsoever, aside from some annoyingly placed enemies. Speaking of enemies, why did you replace the Buzzes with those recolored SRB1 enemies?
However, there were some other noticeable flaws aside from the bland visuals and there being no challenge at all: the 'storage room' is a dumb secret, because it had too many powerups for such an easily reached area. And of course, the inescapable tunnel. Seriously, how did you miss that? And why did you add that weird wall?
Luckily the level wasn't all that long to begin with.

Flooded Mines by Spongecar - 1/10

I'm sorry, but this level is just plain garbage. It's way too short, it's really ugly, there are no multiple paths to speak of, and the end is horribly unclear. Reverse gravity doesn't fit in a mine/GFZ theme to begin with, but I really expected to be able to jump and not suddenly get reverted to normal gravity. If you had chosen something else than spikes, a hazard that is normally jumped over, it would've been better and maybe more clear. Like the previous map, I was happy to see that it was extremely short, which is not a good thing.

Twilight Isles by Thompson - 9/10

Well, this is certainly a nice change from the previous two entries! Not only is there a lot more to comment on, most of the content is actually really enjoyable! The beginning was quite confusing at times, and the sky and music seemed unfitting to me, but much to my surprise this level became better and better as I neared the end. However, that doesn't mean that it's flawless: the rock crusher after the first checkpoint seemed quite surreal to me, some Buzzes and Crawlas were placed in rather annoying ways, one spring in the waterfall room can launch you into a death pit if you're not careful, and the hang glider was quite slow with moving downwards. Otherwise, this is a really solid level.
The water skipping area was incredibly clever, the turret room was quite a lot of fun, the hang gliding segment was difficult but awesome, and the ending was well-made too.
EDIT: I just discovered the mushroom path at the start. It is infinitely better than the other path, which was already really fun, so you get one point extra. I mean, it looks better, plays better, and has more creative ideas and gimmicks.

Last edited:
First for the single player division:

Flooded Mines 1/10

I was kind of expecting something fun...
The level was way too simple. You just a long twisty tunnel filled with water, threw a few baddies in there, and used an out of place gravity gimmick. Even the tunnel itself was way too cramped in places. This theme could have had a lot of potential, but you kinda wasted it. :(

Icicle Warehouse 3/10

This obviously had a lot of work put into it, but that doesn't make it good. For one thing, way too much of it revolved around flat dull rooms loaded with enemies. Not very entertaining. And that storage room? That wasn't really very neat. Maybe if it had been hard to find it would have been cool, but as it was I don't think someone could miss it on a speed run.
Come on Glaber, you can do better than that!

Twilight Isles 10/10

This is tremendous.

Just like DOOD64 said, this level makes you WANT to see what's next. I was so ecstatic when I was playing this level that I probably looked like I was on something. More than anything else, this level reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy, between the wide open feel of it, the tons of visuals, and the glider part, which reminded me of the gliding levels in SMG2. So many puzzles in this level, too, I need to play through it again so I can solve that trail of puzzles that it supposedly in it. There's so much I could say about this level that I love, but I don't have time. The only thing I DON'T like is that sometimes it's REALLY confusing where you need to go, even with all the arrows. Also, I love the Candy Constellation music!
Overall, there were a FEW things wrong with this map, but they are more than balanced out by the incredibleness of it.

Last edited:
@Chary Candy Constellation music...? IIRC, its the space stage song from Kirby and The Amazing Mirror :|
Also, it doesn't loop that well. But if I wasn't lazy enough to rate all of the others and only it, I'd give it at least a 9/10 or 10/10 'cause FuriousFox says to rate them about how they play, not they're visuals (Even though there were a bit to say about that).
It's really nice, you start the stage from a part that actually has some storyline feature, that "shows" how Sonic got there, not just a plain beginning from nowhere (I'm talking about the boat, of course.). Lots of gimmicks, Enemies that really suprised me (And that's not a bad thing, its about time enemies start making a real challange and not just "moving spikes" that annoy you.).
And glaber, your map was rather good. Even though a bit easy, probably because of the flying enemies. If you ever use that flying Minus, I suggest making it hoars faster; the fact it does a "digging" sound while moving makes it unable to ambush, making it weak.

But if I wasn't lazy enough to rate all of the others and only it, I'd give it at least a 9/10 or 10/10 'cause FuriousFox says to rate them about how they play, not they're visuals (Even though there were a bit to say about that).
Actually, visuals can and may play a part in the rating you give a map. But of course, the gameplay is still more important, and you shouldn't give too much weight to visuals unless the map is based on visuals to some degree.

Also, you already kinda reviewed two of the stages. You only need to do one more and assign ratings, and that would be it. You're not required to write pages about a stage (in fact, you're not even required to write anything).

EDIT: Just saw this:
Flooded Mine Zone, by Spongecar
[...]
Not that that was even executed properly in any case--you couldn't jump without flipping over and falling to your death, but couldn't get past the spikes without jumping. Luckily I was playing as Knuckles, and glided to safety.
You can go around those spikes at the very edge of the platform. You're not supposed to jump at all, although that's of course the first thing everybody would expect to do.

Last edited:
Thing is, we're trying to race though it. Not calculate where we need to jump. Using all that red doesn't help either.

I didn't think everyone would try and rush through the level on the first lap, but maybe my way of slowing down and learning the level first is unusual for playing Circuit. If everyone was just blindly dashing through, then yeah, I could see easily see massive amounts of death. I probably should have made Cherry Canyon a single player level.

Anyway, I just realized I forgot one CTF map, so I'll add it to my MP review post.

I didn't think everyone would try and rush through the level on the first lap, but maybe my way of slowing down and learning the level first is unusual for playing Circuit. If everyone was just blindly dashing through, then yeah, I could see easily see massive amounts of death. I probably should have made Cherry Canyon a single player level.
The problem was not exactly the difficulty of the platforming, it was the texturing. Literally everything was red and even the pits were covered with the red liquid, so I had a hard time seeing where I could land and where I couldn't. I don't quite agree with a 1/10 rating myself, but it's clear where it's coming from.

I'm afraid of submitting a level for the next OLDC...
I just dunno what people will think of it...

I'll vote on a while.

why did you replace the Buzzes with those recolored SRB1 enemies?
I didn't, I replaced the SRB1 enemy. The Buzzes were never used. Go check Techno Hill zone with the Wad loaded if you don't believe me.

And of course, the inescapable tunnel. Seriously, how did you miss that?
By submitting the fix the blocked you from entering it at the last minuet. That's how.

I'll vote on a while.
You can't be worse than lots of typical entries. And if there are any serious problems with it, you'll learn from the feedback what to avoid doing in the future.

@Chary Candy Constellation music...? IIRC, its the space stage song from Kirby and The Amazing Mirror :|
Also, it doesn't loop that well.

Yes, Candy Constellation was the space level. That's my favorite Kirby game of all time. It doesn't loop well, that's for sure, but I had to give him credit, I thought that song was really fitting.

Aw c'mon, you can do it! I'd love to see a map you made in the contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back