The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you~

I quite enjoyed todays episode, but in terms of humour I felt it lost steam by the mid point. Which thankfully, picked up again by the end.

But I quite like the moral in this episode. If just because I know it applies to myself very well, I am very guilty of being as arrogant as Rainbow Dash in this episode at times. Relevant morals are the best morals.

As a big fan of Batman: TAS I loved the references included to that show in this episode as well. Those references being the similar musical cues used for the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well (or Batmare, or Darkwing Duck if you so prefer) and this little background event.

89794%20-%20batman_tas%20Colgate%20mare_do_well.JPG

The identity of the Mare Do-Well was pretty obvious.

I mean, she stops the carriage with her hind legs, which reminded me of Applejack applebucking. Rainbow pointed out how the Mare Do-Well can predict the future, sounds like Pinkie Sense (which is awesome how they brought it back, I was worried that it was going to be a one-shot deal). Then she used magic, and has the same aura as Twilight (who was in the audience during the Mare Do-Well's first appearance).

Also, it's about time Rainbow got what was coming to her for all of her bragging, showing off, gloating, etc. I didn't feel sorry for her at all when she was humiliating herself because she deserved every last bit of it.
It was a decent episode overall, not really bad, but nothing spectacular.

Was it just me, or was the opening scene a big fan shoutout? Not that it was bad or anything, I rather enjoyed it.

The episode itself was pretty crazy. It seemed a drastic departure from the way they've done the other episodes. Heck, even the animation and cinematics were way different. Just look at the dam scene. This was probably the first time the animation really stuck out to me.

I had predicted who the character was the moment that it used the magic to fix the dam. I had thought it was Apple Jack for a little, and then I was certain it was Pinkie after the construction site scene. Then, at the dam, I realized it had to be different ponies. Fluttershy doing her "flyover" only confirmed that for me. Nevertheless, the part where Rainbow Dash demasked Pinkie was absolutely priceless.

The moral of it wasn't anything shocking or incredibly deep to me personally, but it was still very good and well done. The whole episode reminded me of one of the old Winnie the Pooh episodes "The Masked Offender".

Speaking of such, wasn't there a LOT of references? First and foremost the Batman one. I caught that it must have been a reference, but I wasn't versed enough in batman to get it until I saw it here.
Even the whole purple Mare do Well costume with flowing cape seemed like a big shoutout to something. I could have sworn they had that very Winnie the Pooh episode in mind when they made it, but I really don't know. The trope probably existed before then.
Seems like there were a few more too, but I'm already forgetting...

Oh. Pretty bad seeing I don't even play Team Fortress but...
heavypony.png

Did anyone else immediately think "HEAVY"?

Darkwing Spiderbat kthxbye. But seriously, my initial thought was Batman because of the whole dark and mysterious thing, but then someone pointed out that she looks like Darkwing Duck which makes a lot more sense to me. I would like to think that she could be a nod to either or just super heroes in general. You could be splitting hairs with the Spiderman 2 thing though.

I enjoyed this episode. It wasn't the best episode so far, but it was fun. I kinda saw the ending coming once Mare Do Well started repairing the dam though.
Oh. Pretty bad seeing I don't even play Team Fortress but...
heavypony.png

Did anyone else immediately think "HEAVY"?
Nope. If anything, the hat would make him Engineer, but that's about it. Again, it's a real stretch.

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn't at all meaning to say it was a reference. It just reminded me of him a lot.

I love the plethora of spoilers on the page of this topic XD

Doesn't remind me of Heavy really, but I will say by the Crate cutie mark. . .it must be Mann. Co related if you catch my drift >XD

"May the Best Pet Win" was probably one of my favorites this season, at least it definitely ranks up there with Lesson Zero. This week's episode however seemed to take a little while to get going and some of the scenes (especially early on) felt loosely cobbled together, I have to say that I called the ending but that didn't make it cheap.

That said, didn't see Pinkie Pie "pinkie sense" coming, despite the "seems to know what happens before it happens" phrase that should have been a dead giveaway. Instead, I thought perhaps they engineered those mistakes which made much less sense than everyone humbly taking part in one superhero identity that is definitely in line with the show's overall theme, which made up for the cliched "teach her a lesson" that worked its way into it.

Additionally, I did like how it wasn't Mare Do Well that made RD look bad, but that she was making HERSELF look bad. The catchphrase sold that really well, and the scene where she wonders if she'd changed really does a good job putting it into perspective. Its realistic with her character that she would need to have the lesson hammered into her, after she'd at least been near solving it.

So the Mysterious Mare Do Well had a rough beginning, but it got better and it had a few moments worthy of a snicker and despite what looked like flanderization, still showed some of the maturity in the storytelling that I've appreciated MLP for.

S2 Ep9 - Sweet and Elite

One of those less-than-common episodes showing off for an external locale in Equestria. The focus her on Rarity and her hell of a time in Canterlot really shows the antics of how a lesser pony of Ponyville is to make way in Canterlot. She would be best suited to check herself before she wrecks herself. The moment everyone else spawned into Canterlot, there was an obvious problem afoot. It got worse when they came to the party. It truly showed the society of Canterlot, their narcissistic thoughts on ponies of lesser fortunes, whilst they lack the emotion and mindset to be themselves, and rather "Follow the crowd" with what the big-wig celebrities consider to be "In" just so that they don't find themselves as outcasts. The Catch 22 at the end of the episode was just beautiful. Total bitchslap to the Canterlot ponies who insulted Rarity's friends. This brought me back to the Gala episode, where Celestia ended up as a complete trollmare, but nonetheless, very good episode. Can't wait for the next one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xplvpodMNgs

I quite liked this weeks episode, but I also felt the writers failed somewhat to include a few golden opportunities and missed the mark with the moral. Enjoyable overall though for certain.

As far as the moral goes, Rarity was never called out after lying to everypony in Canterlot and her friends. Her main lie was revealed, certainly, but nobody really minded. I was also a little disappointed when what I saw as a fantastic plant and payoff segment when Rarity lied about Rainbow Dash's job to impress high society didn't quite payoff as it was never brought up again. That seemed like a good opportunity for at least one joke.

But I was pleasantly surprised when Fancy Pants turned out to be both understanding and genuinely polite towards Rarity when the truth was discovered. Fancy Pants, you are a bro. I mean, just look at him, he's so posh and amazing.

93088%20-%20collage%20derpy_hooves%20rarity%20sWeEt_AnD_eLiTe.png

Last edited:
Once again, I was impressed by the musical number in this week's episode. Daniel Ingram outdoes himself yet again. I think they did a pretty good job with this episode.

There was plenty of contrast with how fake the "high society" in Canterlot was versus how true her friends were. It was pretty clear how much she was suffering from her deception, even as her friends cared about her enough to give her the benefit of the doubt (at least Twilight did, Rainbow Dash hit uncomfortably close to the mark... both were true to character).

As such, nothing that happened after she stood up for her friends could really compare with how much she suffered while she was trying to lead a double life to fit into high society. The gesture shown by Fancy Pants in the end not only gave Rarity a saving throw and represented that he himself was a true gentlecolt, but also helped to prove what Rarity expressed that the esteem of her friends meant so much more than the esteem of the high society, which needed only the influence of someone higher up to change their minds.

I was only counting non-background ponies, sorry. (Well, except Derpy, but she's the background pony, so.)

Also noticed they reused the same squares several times over, as is common for crowd shots.

It is very hard to get myself into these kinds of fandoms, but this series had a feel to it. It seemed like...deep down, it got my soul connected to it, and it just took me in with open arms. I never knew how great a cartoon of this era was until now, compared to the stuff they are showing on Cartoon Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back