• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mudkip Level Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! This looking a hell lot better since you started this level pack!
I think this level pack will go very far from the looks of it. =)

One thing I have to say so far is go easy on the turrets. Most of them are placed in unnecessary places that have bottomless pits, more turrets, and crushers.

It'd be nice if you uploaded the level pack in a site that doesn't require you to register an account.

One thing I have to say so far is go easy on the turrets. Most of them are placed in unnecessary places that have bottomless pits, more turrets, and crushers.
If that's the case, I will. I originally wanted crushers in the second room of CVZ2, but the game decided to go like NO and the sectors wouldn't work correctly. Yacker is more around the lines of fixing glitches bugs and certain broken sectors. Next update we also plan to add emblems, which will require some small changes to the maps. Otherwise the levels will receive no major change.

On a side note, we have plans for future levels. I already have all the zone names except for the third one because it needs to fit Cyan City's music, yet I'm trying to stick to original yet non-generic names and level designs.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

It'd be nice if you uploaded the level pack in a site that doesn't require you to register an account.
Ok I'll see if I can get Yacker to do that with sendspace as a mirror download.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Ok the mirror download is up. If you guys have any future request please ask me or Yacker. On another note if you have any ideas for a future level for this pack or just a level all together, I will be willing to do it.

Hey Mudkipz! I'm with Snow, it's definitely improved a lot. I like how act 1 has walls now rather than the solid sky. I also like the extensions to acts 2 and 3. Larz might be right about the turrets, but at the same time there needs to be something to make it challenging for flying characters as a lot of it is platform based. There at least needs to be more rings, I found myself running out and getting repeatedly killed by the turrets. Don't think I should have to use setlives so much on the first zone. XD

Anyway it's looking great and I'm glad you got the music in a separate file now, definitely helps with the file size.

Thanks Luna. By the way the music looping and OGG conversion was all Yacker. He did it really well might I add.

Okay, got a chance to play it after you uploaded it to sendshare.

I'm sorry but this is downright awful in its current state. Don't take this wrong though, I'm sure you can improve upon this.

ACT 1

Oh okay some little walls and scenery that's nice.....and then what? There's some huuuuuge gap with a 1-up lying in front, some bonuses, then I pass a corridor and the level ends right up there! I didn't do anything!

ACT 2

I took the right path over a black pit (very unfitting with your texture set....it's unfitting with ANY texture set, at least use light blocks do give us a sense of depth) then some other room, then a stupid turret room which was really cheap at worst, and made no sense in a level dubbed as "Crawla Valley" I'm not talking about the Crawla part, I'm talking about the Valley part. I don't want to jump over some floating blocks in a grassland.

ACT 3

squares
oh god moving squares scrolling squares
help me

okay seriously this was more of the same, completely disjointed, stupidly short and linear with a dumb Eggmobile fight whose only saving grace was the difficulty the turrets added.
--------------------------------------------------------------

You might be thinking "Zipper what the hell you can't give proper criticism get outta my face". The reason for that is I'd rather give you advice over the whole pack.

1)The stages are ATROCIOUSLY short. I'm pretty sure you also know this. Short stages are fine, but not when they're 15 seconds long.
2) There's literally zero atmosphere in your levels. Act 1 had some hills near the walls but that's it, the rest of the pack is enclosed between two 5 km cliffs. Check out most official levels, some well-regarded ones, observe HOW they made their level feel more organic, and not 2-wall thokfest-like.
3) The levels are empty as they're short. Run-jump-win only works linearly if we're discussing Megaman 1. Put some gimmicks here and there, anything works. You don't HAVE to constantly refresh them, but if you're resorting to platforms, at least find a way to keep it interesting.

I'm sorry if these advices were awfully vague, and I hope you understand what I mean by them. Good luck.

Okay, got a chance to play it after you uploaded it to sendshare.

I'm sorry but this is downright awful in its current state. Don't take this wrong though, I'm sure you can improve upon this.

ACT 1

Oh okay some little walls and scenery that's nice.....and then what? There's some huuuuuge gap with a 1-up lying in front, some bonuses, then I pass a corridor and the level ends right up there! I didn't do anything!

ACT 2

I took the right path over a black pit (very unfitting with your texture set....it's unfitting with ANY texture set, at least use light blocks do give us a sense of depth) then some other room, then a stupid turret room which was really cheap at worst, and made no sense in a level dubbed as "Crawla Valley" I'm not talking about the Crawla part, I'm talking about the Valley part. I don't want to jump over some floating blocks in a grassland.

ACT 3

squares
oh god moving squares scrolling squares
help me

okay seriously this was more of the same, completely disjointed, stupidly short and linear with a dumb Eggmobile fight whose only saving grace was the difficulty the turrets added.
--------------------------------------------------------------

You might be thinking "Zipper what the hell you can't give proper criticism get outta my face". The reason for that is I'd rather give you advice over the whole pack.

1)The stages are ATROCIOUSLY short. I'm pretty sure you also know this. Short stages are fine, but not when they're 15 seconds long.
2) There's literally zero atmosphere in your levels. Act 1 had some hills near the walls but that's it, the rest of the pack is enclosed between two 5 km cliffs. Check out most official levels, some well-regarded ones, observe HOW they made their level feel more organic, and not 2-wall thokfest-like.
3) The levels are empty as they're short. Run-jump-win only works linearly if we're discussing Megaman 1. Put some gimmicks here and there, anything works. You don't HAVE to constantly refresh them, but if you're resorting to platforms, at least find a way to keep it interesting.

I'm sorry if these advices were awfully vague, and I hope you understand what I mean by them. Good luck.
I really appreciate the feedback. Me And Yacker plan to add more to the zone and as well as better expansions. I have to start working on the second zone though but I'll leave the first zone to yacker for a while. We also plan to add more secerts and soon, emblems. I love it when people give me this crictism though. Really opens your mind to new things. And keep in mind, I ran into like, 9001 glitches along the way. I was limited to Doom Builder when I first started this project. It was in a much worse state. But the reason the levels are short is because I try my best to put in the explorative aspects, as if I didn't, it would be REALLY Linear. Also Act 2 Is mostly temporary and Act 3 will receive major overhaul. Thanks for the advice anyway.

The next update is well underway. Here are some new things so far.

Crawla Valley Zone

This zone is getting an expansion in every act, as well as some texture changes and major change in scenery. The environment transitions will be much smoother and make more sense. The turret rooms are getting removed, as they Finally, the first halve of Act 3 will be completely redone, and socs are now going to be incorporated in this zone instead of the next for the boss. Finally the levels will each have their own specific gimic. Act 1 is more a typical first level than anything else. Act 2 will use fast moving conveyor belts later on in the level. Act 3 finally will be aimed towards platforming across lava to get to the boss room, where the boss will have 4 pop-up turrets and in pinch mode, will fill the lower floor with lava (or water to fit the transition for FBZ1).

Flooded Base

This zone will more than likely not be added in this update, as the levels will be a bit lengthier than CVZ and in turn, take longer to make. FBZ1 will either have 4 separate exits for the 4 separate paths, 2 exits that merge with the separate paths, or will have one exit where all paths will either merge, or use a teleporter to get there. Act 2 is still undecided. Act 3 will be mostly a full level, with a run-in with a weaker version of Brak Eggman (Being that Sugar Splash Zone has no boss, and the levels are made to fit the music. The level pack will have you run into him 3 times, each stronger than before and sporting a new gimic).

hFlpdGW.png

iDxb1xs.png

Just some pics of the next release. We'll get this out soon enough.

You really need more than one rock texture for that level, I cannot tell where one platform ends and the other begins.

That's changed in the next update.
We are also making a new enemy.
I will not give it away though.
Snow is now on the developing team btw

Oh wow. I can't believe we missed that during testing...thanks.

That's changed in the next update.
We are also making a new enemy.
I will not give it away though.
Snow is now on the developing team btw

Oh, it's good to see that is being cha-
srb21038.png

You guys lied to me, the levels still use the same texture almost everywhere with nothing showing where one platform ends and another begins. Not to mention your water and lava both lack color maps, not sure if when you said "next update" you meant this one we have now, or the one following it.

As it stands with this update, while it is still better you have a long ways to go. Currently this pack is "Hallway: The 3 Act Zone", and by that I mean this is pretty much rooms connected by hallways. There is no natural flow to how the rooms were built, making it feel a lot more like a building with not roof, but with grass and rocks plastered on. If you were to break up the flat wall lines and add some gagged edges, and even add some higher paths up along the main one it would help some. Also, you levels could stand to have some more rings in them, I don't remember seeing many in them when I played.

srb21038.png

You guys lied to me, the levels still use the same texture almost everywhere with nothing showing where one platform ends and another begins. Not to mention your water and lava both lack color maps, not sure if when you said "next update" you meant this one we have now, or the one following it.

As it stands with this update, while it is still better you have a long ways to go. Currently this pack is "Hallway: The 3 Act Zone", and by that I mean this is pretty much rooms connected by hallways. There is no natural flow to how the rooms were built, making it feel a lot more like a building with not roof, but with grass and rocks plastered on. If you were to break up the flat wall lines and add some gagged edges, and even add some higher paths up along the main one it would help some. Also, you levels could stand to have some more rings in them, I don't remember seeing many in them when I played.

I do remember telling MUDKIPz to add some colormaps to the water, although the lava in act 3 is my fault because all of that stage was designed by me.(Rushed)
I do agree with the hallways though, i shall note MUDKIPz about this and see what he can do, as he is the main stage designer here.
We'll try our best to improve this as much as we possibly can, this is far from complete.Thank you for taking your time and playing this though, and we will act upon your opinions the best we can.
Also, we will have the ground textures changed in V4, that's a granted. =P

srb21038.png

You guys lied to me, the levels still use the same texture almost everywhere with nothing showing where one platform ends and another begins.

Oh my. I was going to fix this when Mudkip was supposed to send over act 3, but he never did...and never alerted me to a release either. Rather un-coordinated, really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back