• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

WO123R: Oceanic Cove Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumped: This seems inactive so far. Using the latest release, please post more comments. At least respond to what I can do about the known issues. Feedback and suggestions welcome as usual. Thanks!

Last edited:
I went through the level again to see if the error was still there, but it seems I had already fixed it before releasing it... oops!

Issues in the level already known
  1. For upwards and downwards current, is there a way to make the player face a certain direction while in such current?
  2. There seems to be a terrible graphics problem in the rope pulley area in the highend edition. (whoops, this has already been resolved)
  3. SFX 43 (crumbling sound) seems to not work when the house "crumbles."
  4. What seems to be a missing texture in the walls of the "one-way" bustable block area. There is supposed to be a front, lower texture there, and there is. In fact, I decided to put in a higher, middle, and lower texture for the linedef. Nevertheless, one can find the mirrors effect.
  5. Some floating, bobbing platforms floating on water FOFs that rise and fall perpetually seem to float by themselves, in midair, when the height of the water reaches a certain level (see DARK UNDERGROUND PATH).
  6. MANY rendering errors with the textures throughout the level: e.g. SLIME TRAILS all over the starting area. What could be done to help the starting area keep its beauty w/o having any of those ugly errors? (Where is OPENGL when you need it...)
  7. At times you can slip off the teleporting switches, causing the switch to be pressed, but the translucent pipe to not come down. This will remain so, until I can get the "Disable Player Control" linedef (437) to work.
  8. The level lags terribly in netgames. Try the level in single player first, and then have fun in the netgame.

@ZarroTsu: There is an easier way to get that Gravity Boots monitor; probably I didn't make it obvious enough to the player. Sorry!

Wow. This is fantastic. This is the greatest level I've played, hands down.
One point you extremely excel at is scenery. God, I could get lost exploring the massive depths of this level. The music fit perfectly, scenery was everywhere, and the transitions between the cliffs, ice, and ruins theme were so perfectly done and creative. The level just feels good to play through.
Another area you excel at is gameplay. This level's extremely fun. The platforming is tricky, the gimmicks are clever, and everything perfectly suits the theme of the level and doesn't feel out of place at all. There's tons of things to do. There's plenty of room to run around in, but not so much to the point it feels bland.
The level's massive, simply put. There's tons of paths, tons of bonuses, and all of this massively adds to the scenery. This level's so big, fun, and massive that I can replay this level for hours and hours and just not get sick of this. This level impresses me even more than Nuclear Sunset Zone 2 did, which is an extremely impressive feat.

One extremely minor issue (there's problems in this level?) is that one of the Sectors at the very beginning of the level needs a water FOF tagged to it. Outside of this, I can't see any problems at all. I feel that you've actually managed to create the perfect level. I expect big things from you.

10/10
(I'm sure all this is still a huge understatement.)

Could it be that this is the first time you're not the least critical of a level? But yes, this is the one that deserves it.

But in this case, you're not being critical at all. Sure, it's a really, REALLY impressive level, but it does have flaws. One is the lag at the beginning, and the other one is the enemies. But AFAIK, both of these issues are being worked on, so I can hope to see a flawless level in the near future.

Even though this is worthy of Releases - Hall of fame, is still has problems, Kyasarin. For a map to be perfect it would have to be worked on for almost as long as srb2 itself. (Or not)

Also:
Kyasarin said:
God, I could get lost exploring the massive depths of this level.
Last time I checked getting lost was bad. O_o

Even though this is worthy of Releases - Hall of fame, is still has problems, Kyasarin. For a map to be perfect it would have to be worked on for almost as long as srb2 itself. (Or not)
Bother to tell WHAT problems? Also, you don't have to work on a map for 11 years for it be perfect. You can't make a map perfect for everybody.

I didn't find any lag when I played, and the enemies only bothered me at very small times.
Oh well, beta 7 is only the low-end version, so obviously there's no lag. If you try the high-end beta 6, you'll get blown away. Also, the enemies are more of an aesthetic problem than a gameplay issue.

EDIT:
Mabye you just have a fast computer.
Yes, with an average computer, this should be no problem in low-end.

Great Level

I was really impressed with this one. This was just a level that I had plain fun going through and exploring. The scenery is mapped out excellently and really gives the level its feel and shine.

The challenge was there but not intrusive; there were no cheap deaths and the enemies were placed in a very desirable manner; they were there in large rooms that would have otherwise seemed quite empty and they were not in places were the player would have to concentrate on platforming challenges.

There were a ton of secrets and multiple paths (though I didn't search for the lot of them considering I was trying to concentrate on completing the level) and it just seems like you would find something new every time you played. The only problem that I had was the lag, but I guess that couldn't be helped (or maybe it can be?). I hope you keep making levels, 123 Runite, because this one was a great refresher of what an SRB2 level can truly be.

Dude, that was pretty good! I'm still stuck trying to beat it, but it's a good kind of challenge, ya' know?

My favorite part is the music. Did you compose it yourself? If not, you sure made one hell of a selection. It makes me feel nostalgic about the Saturn/early Dreamcast years...

10/10
(I'm sure all this is still a huge understatement.)

It's actually an overstatement, and I thought you would be the first one to point it out. There are way too many enemies and some jumps are nearly impossible and you find yourself stopping a bit too much. Sometimes it was repetitive but you kept me on my toes. You seemed to miss a linedef here and there. The first is beyond the bust wall after the first (?) armageddon shield. I couldn't find anymore though.

I'm very impressed by this level, if I had the chance, I would play High-end. But sadly, I can't get to the first zoom tube on high-end. The transitions are great but sometimes sudden and teh attention to detail is great. People can learn a lot from you.

No level is perfect, and this has its flaws. I would like to try this in OpenGL, so for now. I'll give it a 9/10.
Bravo, I say. Bravo!

But in this case, you're not being critical at all.
Well, technically, it could be argued that the "official" definition of criticism is analyzing and judging the quality of a work. He did analyze the level, it's just that he made note of merits, not flaws.

Problem #1

Everything was going fine, until I tested the level to see all the few texture changes I've made to see if everything fitted well, until I hit a block (literally).

Set #1 - I got to this point where I was prevented from moving any further by a strong invisible wall...

Using noclip:

All the things seem to be in the sky.

Set #2 - Another area, same symptom:

I've checked the map, and it seems I can't cross anything to the LEFT of the RED LINE:
error.bmp

Screenshots set area #1 is the green circle area
Screenshots set area #2 is the blue circle area

What caused this error to happen? What can I do to fix the problem?

On the other hand, here are a few of updated/added areas:

Ya make sure you didn't accidentally use 2.0 mode or something?

Also, I'll be the first to say I used to HATE this level; it was super frustrating, and I couldn't stand it. I believe I was in a netgame for an earlier beta, and it was a mess.

...Then I played the latest version.
And it was FUN. There were still some frustrating bits (the icy floors over the deathpit, ugh...), but MAN, it was SO MUCH BETTER that the last versions I've played, seriously. I dunno what's the issue, but I hope it's fixed. I'm looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back