• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Nightmare from Soul Calibur

Status
Not open for further replies.

on Edge

I only have one sprite so far. While this is early to be posting a topic, I'd like criticism anyway.

NEW:

BigNightNew.jpg

Since this is my first character, I've decided to start small. Since Night's top half isn't connected to his bottom half, I've decided to loose the bottom and then make him symmetrical. Yes, he is levitating, for now. I've noticed that levitating characters look easier to make.

Refrence Pics from many different games: SC4 SC3 SC2

Holy crap, I wouldn't know it was him if I hadn't seen the reference pic.

Try harder, the bottom half is part of him so it should stay. You can't take a character, cut of his design and say it's him.

It honestly has ZERO resemblance to the picture. I doubt it would ever look like him in this current state.

Chrispy said:
Absolutely dreadful.
Autosaver said:
It looks too hard for you.
Eblo said:
I doubt it would ever look like him in this current state.
Look who forgot what our rules are!

Jellybones said:
...the bottom half is part of him so it should stay. You can't take a character, cut of his design and say it's him.
That I would call an artistic styling. With SC4's new design, separating the two halves is easier than ever. What's important is that it actually looks like his top half.

But it DOESN'T look like his upper half. If I was just given the sprite I wouldn't be able to tell who or what that was. The shape is just absolutely dreadful.

Okay here are my suggestions on how to make it better, First it needs to look a little more like Nightmare(Where's his Knightish armor?), and I'd say the head needs to be changed a little more, if that was changed I could possibly see the resemblance. Also are you going to be including His sword in your character wad?

In its current state, I couldn't tell if it's Nightmare or not. (And believe me you, I play a ****load of Soul Calibur 2!) My suggestions would be to make the colors match that of one of the styles in the three pictures listed, as well as the body shape and form. Right now, it looks like a floating brown... thing in a blue suit of armor. So yeah, it still needs a bit of work.

See first post. I assume the people telling me I suck means that they care and would really like to see this finished. The colors are as good as they're going to get. Even with the new pallet, I can't make it perfect. Also, the sword won't be a large part of the character, but it'll be here and there, if I finish this.

Keep in mind I don't want to put too much detail in. This is only my first sprite, and I'll have to make many more. If I add too much detail, it may look good, but it'll never get done.

Well from the new picture, its starting to look better, Not sure how a character wad without feet would look though(If it had feet that'd make it better). Other then that so far so good.

It's still pretty bad. It doesn't even fit with the SRB2 style at all. Looks more like a NES sprite. and plus, only ONE arm is freakishly huge. [/SCfanboy]

Alright. To address the one arm thing, I don't want to make him unsymmetrical, because that almost doubles the work it takes to create. Floating characters work extremely well in SRB2. Also, if I wanted it to fit the styling, I'd have put a Nightmare helmet onto Sonic and slapped on Sole Edge. It isn't a recolor, and I don't want it to fit with the styling.

Is the one measly sprite ok yet? If all the other sprites look about like this, would you play it? What needs to be changed?

BlueZero4 said:
Chrispy said:
Absolutely dreadful.
Autosaver said:
It looks too hard for you.
Eblo said:
I doubt it would ever look like him in this current state.
Look who forgot what our rules are!

My post wasn't flaming the user in any way. As I said, it looks impossible to fit in SRB2 so why do it if it won't fit? If he does get it good job. I wonder if you backse-*SLAPPED

Hum, make one arm blue, and the other what you have now.

He looks rather well done, and although he obviously doesn't seem to fit with SRB2, I would be surprised if he did. I've never played the SoulCalibur games, and do not plan to, especially since all footage of the most recent ones give the impression that it was made for people that need the satisfaction of a shapely female body in order to be interested in the characters.
As it does not appeal to me, and as the game itself seems to have no other true defining feature, it does little to justify playing a genre I don't even like to begin with.

However, even though he looks nothing like the reference picture, I would be satisfied with a character inspired by Nightmare. I'd love to see something like this put into a level like Vibrant Vendetta Zone as a boss or something... as a character it would obviously feel strange, but it'd be no worse than playing through SRB2 as R2-D2.

I will say though that he could probably use some outlines... generally a dark color in the palette around all of the edges like Sonic there, and the teeth need deeper shading so they feel as dark as the rest of the texture instead of standing out like neon lights at midnight.

Keep it up, don't be discouraged, just remember that when in doubt, you want to go for less detail rather than more... you have eight frames to animate him in, and any details that seem easy now will make you change your mind rather quickly later.

he is prety good... I say make his helmet a bit wider and that would be
an improvment
oh, and cover his left arm in armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back