• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Lightbulb Factory Zone nears it's completion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTE

I just uploaded a new version of Lightbulb Factory to my website. Now Lightbulb Factory Zone Acts 1 and 2 are complete. I have the layout for Act 3 in there, but the actual boss is still in development. (Who knows, I might even have it done by the end of today or tomorrow.) It all depends on how easily this idea will work out using what little there is... Oh, and those annoying turret things that pop out of the ground are visible when they're in the ground now. You can see how they move and stuff too, which is really why I wanted them invisible and intangable in the first place, but getting hurt by something invisible sucks...
Anyway, post comments or whatever you feel you should say. I'd love to hear feedback.

Nice level! I like the origonal enemies thing.
However, the wierd little turret things replace all the blue crawlas in the other levels... Not that this is a bad thing. Same levels, NEW enemies! :P
Can't wait for the boss level to finish!

You can do quite a lot with just a little crawla. I personally like the bats more because the way I placed them, they're supposed to knock you off course while you're making those crucial jumps and stuff... In Lightbulb Factory 2 there are a few 'secrets' as well, which you probably noticed right off the bat. I'll leave it to you to find them yourselves. You might be.. surprized.

Havn't played it yet...
Now I have.
Awesome! That part with the four buttons that turn to metal was wierd.

Might I suggest boss music? Final Boss music from Vectorman 2. The arena just... seems that way.

Sweet level, JTE. It's much better than any of the multiplayer stuff you've done. The outside rainy portions with the bats and lava, then going into the factory kinda made me think of a 3D Sonic Epoch. Overall, the atmosphere is very very good!

hotdog003 said:
Awesome! That part with the four buttons that turn to metal was wierd.
Yes, I call that the illusion room. It's like one of those Star Trek hologram rooms. Stepping into it turned it "on". Really the only way you can tell it's not "real" is by the instantanius movement of the walls and stuff... I mean, come on, you press a button and all of a sudden a new room full of bats and crap appears out of the thok barrier. I had to figure out how to fix OGL's "Render objects that are behind the sky" bug for that one, and as an added bonus I made the thok barrier look "straight", so the only way you can tell there's something wrong with it is by inspecting it carefully in software mode. pushing the right button simply turns the machine off again, so that you see you never actually left the factory to begin with and stuff. Fun!
hotdog003 said:
Might I suggest boss music? Final Boss music from Vectorman 2. The arena just... seems that way.
I have the boss music already, actually, and the boss is done, but I need the sprites for it... It just doesn't look right with a bunch of egg slimers appearing out of noware, you know? :lol:
RedFox34 said:
Sweet level, JTE. It's much better than any of the multiplayer stuff you've done.
Actually, I've done quite some good multiplayer stuff... After all, JTE's Pad was originally multiplayer only, you know. The recent contest wads were just very boring to make and were thus neglected...
RedFox34 said:
Overall, the atmosphere is very very good!
Thanks, I spent a lot of time on that. I tried to combine my ideas with some from the Srb2 Xmas and Srb2 Ween levels I recently converted, which explains the 'fog' and bats outside among some other things...

For anyone who's wondering what I have in store for the boss, here you go: (omg, spoilerz!)

First of all, the field is a small factory thing. I'll have about 9 rings in it, so you'd better be careful, especially in multiplayer. In multiplayer, as an added challenge, I have a script that turns on chaos mode when/before the map starts and then switches it back to coop just so that the chaos spawn points are active. (This is theoretical at the moment, I'm not sure I can get it to work...) The spawn points are inside those 4 small cave thingies. Expect bats and jettys, with the occasional crawla commander.

The boss itself is seperated into two parts, the popups and the annoying flying things.
The first part is simple: Enemys resembling more advanced versions of the deadly pop up turrets will be around the room invisible. They pop up out of the ground either blue or red and unless they are red, they are intangable. If you hit the red ones, they get hurt and go back down, but if you don't bop them all in time, the remaining pop up things shoot at you small energy beams (But they move fast!). Each pop up thing has 10 HP.
The second part gets a little more complex... I'm going to rig up a special "Egg Capsule", so that when you beat the first part of the boss, you are blown into the air for the second part. Yay, new field, now you're surrounded by death pits and stuff. Which is to say, if I can figure out how to make them both on one map, you are blown up to the second floor and the first floor becomes a death pit (either I'll leave it so you can still see it or I'll make it a black 'pit' just for the hell of it...). If not, you're blown to the roof and you have the stupid intermission thing and then you're in the second field. Which isn't as much fun, to say the least. :wink:
So... Now you're on the new field that just appeared in the ceiling. There are mechanical flying things fluttering around and they each stop and charge up a massive blast for you! Yay! Lets play "Who Wants to Get Their Head Blown Off?!"! Not sure, I think I'll give them 16 HP each, just to make you squirm. And when they have only 4 hits left, I'll make them stop moving and just shoot small shots at you like a nut. Bwahahahaa. Oh, don't worry. It'll be fun!

Um! Scripts like that don't work in Multiplayer. I have a Chaos Arena level, but Justin got a sigsev when he tried to play it.

hotdog003 said:
Um! Scripts like that don't work in Multiplayer. I have a Chaos Arena level, but Justin got a sigsev when he tried to play it.
They do. :roll: Right now, I have most of the boss programming down, but I have NO sprites whatsoever... So... it might just die here... That sucks...

Oh. :oops:

I think that both of those could easily be done with sprite editing in Paint myself.

Also, about that intermission thing. One thing comes to my mind:
Teleport. Or, an FOF area with the sector special "Instant Kill". That would work nicely, JTE.

It died there, just as I said it would. But I'm rather glad it did, actually, because now that 1.09 is out ... ... ...

LIGHTBULB FACTORY ZONE IS ACTIVE ONCE MORE!
Now with an exponentially greater (And in higher difficultys, far more challenging) boss battle then never before!

Yeah, I'm almost done, I just have to make the second part of Lightbulb Factory 3 ... ... ... You'll be surprized how advanced and cool the boss battle is, I hope. o.o I'm throwing in nearly every single special effect I have, just to make it hellish...

scmrt_lightbulbfactory.wad
That took quite a while longer then expected. Kroze's server was having trouble and it took him 7 hours or so to upload it, sorry. :( But it's there... For the moment...

I'm sure you'll LOVE the boss battle. ^_^ It's rather insane in anything above Normal. And I do so mean that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back