SRB2 1.04 - THZ2 laser "Aftermath"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Hack

Known as Wind on SRB2
Well I recently got my hands on a copy of SRB2 v1.04 and was playing it.

I just so happened to start playing THZ2 when I got to the part where the laser shoots at you, while I went to get the red button I noticed and odd black mark on the wall that looked like something you would see when after fire burns. Like a "Burn mark" or "Burn Ash"...

SRB2104-1.PNG

Now my question is, why isn't this in 2.0? I think this is pretty awesome in my opinion, and I would love to see this feature in 2.0 or 2.1.

Also this:

SRB2_MS_Fun.png

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Those are called "splats". They're a part of Doom and work great in Doom. There's a slight problem, though. They don't work on the floor/ceiling. In Doom that's not an issue because it'll never shoot at such an angle, but in SRB2 it looks very unnatural when you get shot with turret fire and the damage just ends when it hits the ceiling.

There's a slight problem, though. They don't work on the floor/ceiling.

On the contrary, I do recall SSNTails experimenting with splats during 2.0's development. As I recall, he tried to get a crosshair-like pattern to display underneath the player for the CEZ cannonballs. He almost got them to work, too. I think the idea was scrapped in favour of working on more important features.

On a slight off-topic note:
SRB2_MS_Fun.png

The master server seems out-of-whack when I host on 1.04 and 1.08. :P
Probably because the MS does not support old versions...

On the contrary, I do recall SSNTails experimenting with splats during 2.0's development. As I recall, he tried to get a crosshair-like pattern to display underneath the player for the CEZ cannonballs. He almost got them to work, too. I think the idea was scrapped in favour of working on more important features.
"AJ was working on trying to get them to work" and "they work" are very different things. I didn't say it was impossible to get them working, I simply said they don't work =P

Yes, that's true, I was working on it, but never finished.

srb20046.png

On a slight off-topic note:
SRB2_MS_Fun.png

The master server seems out-of-whack when I host on 1.04 and 1.08. :P
Probably because the MS does not support old versions...

Well, of course; the format for SERVERINFO packets is different in 2.0, and I didn't feel like supporting the old versions anymore... especially not when the MS itself doesn't support them normally.

If I get bored I very well could make it support the old versions, but... really, what's the point?

犬夜叉;660186 said:
Well, of course; the format for SERVERINFO packets is different in 2.0, and I didn't feel like supporting the old versions anymore... especially not when the MS itself doesn't support them normally.

If I get bored I very well could make it support the old versions, but... really, what's the point?

It's more that old versions don't support the MS than the other way around, since it requires a certain packet to be sent every so often that the old versions don't send (they use the heartbeat packet).

I'm pretty sure it sends the needed packet instead of the heartbeat packet. I remember back when 2.0 was first released, the MS showed both 1.09.4 and 2.0 as SRB2 versions on the netgame list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back