POC: SRB2nds port

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlamGBC

WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Thanks to Oogaland for the NDS interface code and Callum for the libfat patch, there now a broken NDS port of SRB2

How broken is this port: this NDS binary will run out of memory and mess up your FAT filesystem, so keep a backup of flash cart's files and run scandisk/chkdsk/fsck.vfat on it after you run it once.....

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, hang on. You guys spent ages fighting off incessant requests for an NDS port, presented a virtually impregnable set of reasons why it'll never happen, and now this?

My world has turned upside down!

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, hang on. You guys spent ages fighting off incessant requests for an NDS port, presented a virtually impregnable set of reasons why it'll never happen, and now this?

It's only further proof that the NDS is no where near capable.

It's only further proof that the NDS is no where near capable.

AJ speaketh wisdom. To which I'd add: This is just an exercise out of curiosity. We (or at least I) don't expect to get it actually to work in any remotely playable way. One of the motivations is to prompt optimisations (especially memory-related ones) that are of more general benefit. Sorry if anyone's hopes were raised.

Last edited:
Well, surely this can be used as a starting point for SRB2-3DS, right? That thing should be more than capable.

Well, surely this can be used as a starting point for SRB2-3DS, right? That thing should be more than capable.

Exactly! When the 3DS becomes hacked (and it will, I'm sure, Nintendo's terrible about their consoles' security), DevkitARM can be ported over to the 3DS since the hardware is architecturally very similar to the original DS consoles. There is, for instace, two ARM processors powering the machine. However, instead of the original DS consoles' measley ARM946E-S running at 66MHz/133MHz and ARM7TDMI running at 33MHz/66MHz, all backed up with just 4/16MB of RAM and a proprietary GPU;

The 3DS sports two ARM11 processors running at 266MHz, with 96MB of RAM (more than the Wii's 88MB, only 66MB of which is available to SRB2Wii!) and a DMP PICA200 GPU with 4MB of video RAM. This is all just the hardware we know about, though, and Nintendo is known to throw in some secret hardware as well, so we'll have to wait and see.

To put this into perspective, the PSP has just two MIPS R4000 clocked at a maximum 333MHz (one of them crippled without a vector floating point unit), with 32/64MB of RAM. Like the original DS series, the PSP has no memory management whatsoever (which is not good for developing operating systems).

The 3DS is not only more powerful than the PSP, but in terms of graphical capability it seems to almost be as powerful as the Wii is! That is pretty irrelevant for SRB2 until someone makes a GX renderer for SRB2. As much as I'd like to do that, I know nothing about GX =P There's nothing like the present to learn, I guess. But I've been talking with Alam, and it could be possible to offload some of the work to the other CPU rather than just maxing out only one of them, for instance, offload the Software renderer to the second CPU, giving us a huge speed win. Of course, that will encourage us to make SRB2 multithreaded-friendly, thus benefitting and optimising ALL versions of SRB2 (like Oogaland said above). We'll see what happens.

But in terms of SRB2 running on the DS/DSi, it would be COMPLETELY impossible unless you have a slot-2 RAM expansion or DSi mode homebrew is finally enabled (allowing us to use 16MB of full speed RAM, thus allowing us to possibly match SRB2DC if we offload work to the ARM7).

Last edited:
Maybe the extra CPU of the SuperCARD DSTWO could be of use in a SRB2 port?

I would assume that the CPU in this 'SuperCard' is contained within the device to run the operating system and other stuff, and that the signal lines aren't directly exposed to the NDS. In which case, it would be a very difficult goal to achieve.

Nope. The CPU in the SuperCARD DSTWO is used to emulate GBA and SNES at full speed and stuff. The DSTWO and it's apps (homebrews, whatever) can use the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back