My personal rant. (Long post warning!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Warrior said:
Dark Warrior said:
Fourth, and I know the reaction this will get, but it must be said. Recolor characters should be against the rules at this point.
You just read my mind. I'm not the only one who doesn't give a crap to play with recolor wads, am I?

You know, you can't really ban something that there is no exact definition to. Many would consider wads like Senku to be a recolor, when others wouldn't even consider SM-*horribly beaten to death*.

But, my point being, the only thing this forum seems to have less of than collective I.Q. is collective tolerance. If you don't want a wad, there is a miraculous way to escape it: don't download it.

-Shu, February 4, 2007.

Spazzo said:
Dark Warrior said:
Fourth, and I know the reaction this will get, but it must be said. Recolor characters should be against the rules at this point. I mean, if at this point, people have already started making it, they can finish, provided there was a topic about it before this rule would be set.
Don't get me wrong, I can't stand them either, but I don't think this will work. A rule like this doesn't have a visible boundary to it, to differenciate what is and what is not a recolor.

*ahem*

A recolor is a fan character based upon a videogame series, in which the character is subtly edited from an official character to look different. In SRB2, a character can be considered a recolor if the following details apply:

• It is the same species and age/height as a certain character
    It lacks any unique type gameplay (ie, "Zonic" plays nearly the same way as Sonic)
    Most editing involved in making the character is coloring it
    Coloring it doesn't even involve any effort

Examples of recolors would be Super Mystic Sonic, "Zonic", Nitemare, and Silver (even though he's an official character). Though some of the mentioned recolors are decent, we are not accepting any more due to flood of poorly done wads. Making a thread on a recolor is prohibited for the time being.

So, um... how was that? >_>;;

Uh, that's not exactly what I was trying to get at.

What i'm trying to show, is that there isn't a set spot to where a recolor becomes an actual (non-recolorwise) character wad. There isn't a real way to judge a wad like that, as not only are there many variables (IE. Sprites, stats, etc.) to judge it by, all it really is, is an opinion. The only real exclusion to this, is the far extremes of the "recolor boundries"

Blue Warrior said:
Spazzo said:
Dark Warrior said:
Fourth, and I know the reaction this will get, but it must be said. Recolor characters should be against the rules at this point. I mean, if at this point, people have already started making it, they can finish, provided there was a topic about it before this rule would be set.
Don't get me wrong, I can't stand them either, but I don't think this will work. A rule like this doesn't have a visible boundary to it, to differenciate what is and what is not a recolor.

*ahem*

A recolor is a fan character based upon a videogame series, in which the character is subtly edited from an official character to look different. In SRB2, a character can be considered a recolor if the following details apply:

• It is the same species and age/height as a certain character
    It lacks any unique type gameplay (ie, "Zonic" plays nearly the same way as Sonic)
    Most editing involved in making the character is coloring it
    Coloring it doesn't even involve any effort

Examples of recolors would be Super Mystic Sonic, "Zonic", Nitemare, and Silver (even though he's an official character). Though some of the mentioned recolors are decent, we are not accepting any more due to flood of poorly done wads. Making a thread on a recolor is prohibited for the time being.

So, um... how was that? >_>;;

That's an opinion. And Senku is far more a recolor than any of those except "Zonic", not that I think of any of them as one.

Also putting in this rule will ruin years of work from many serious waders such a SMS.

Also there are some people who like the looks of the characters better than the abilities (like me). I've noticed allot of people complaining about tails being too slow but I don't really care if he's slow I like more how the characters look (but that's just an opinion).

Cheese said:
Also there are some people who like the looks of the characters better than the abilities (like me). I've noticed allot of people complaining about tails being too slow but I don't really care if he's slow I like more how the characters look (but that's just an opinion).

But that thought process is fatally flawed for one very good reason:
SRB2 is entirely focused on gameplay.

Also, if a rule against recolors were to be implemented, it would have to exclude recolors already in the works. So long as the wad "in the works" has a topic before the rule would be set.

Dark Warrior said:
First, the Sonic Team Junior staff board should be erased. I'm only saying this because I'm assuming that's what's preventing new administrators from being made - simply because they can look into that section. More administrators = less stress. Moderators have no access to a banlist, and therefore warnings can go on until an administrator is active.
This is sorta irrelevant at this point, as there really isn't anything juicy in there anymore. The only stuff in there that's really all that secret was back in the era of 1.09 development. We use AIM at this point, so any potential administrators wouldn't particularly find anything. The issue is something else that I can't exactly make public knowledge right now.

Dark Warrior said:
Second, active moderators are needed. Even last night, SRB2-Playah admitted to rarely visiting the boards, only lurking, mostly. The fact is that moderators need to be more active, or more active moderators are needed.
Absolutely. However, I don't see that many particularly good candidates. Most decent members of the community that I could use as moderators have either left the community or simply lurk. Find me some intelligent people we can use as moderators, and that suggestion is totally valid.

Dark Warrior said:
Third, I really think that there should be very little in the way of moderators deleting pointless, spammy posts. A warning is great, but the posts are still there. It's only a couple of clicks to remove them.
This does sound like a good idea.

Dark Warrior said:
Fourth, and I know the reaction this will get, but it must be said. Recolor characters should be against the rules at this point. I mean, if at this point, people have already started making it, they can finish, provided there was a topic about it before this rule would be set. An exception to this would be something like the SRB2 Riders modification, where the sprites are edited to work correctly with said modification, and not just as an addon character. This in itself may motivate people to do something relevant. This would easily clean up the Editing and Releases section of the boards.
This, honestly, doesn't work. I think a more appropriate response is to create more subforums to split this content off from the other files, since a vast majority of people don't want to see them. Recolors are a fact of life. Hell, SEGA themselves now uses them to create their new characters.

Thank you for responding intelligently. Nice to know at least ONE person in this topic actually reads my posts.

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:
First, the Sonic Team Junior staff board should be erased. I'm only saying this because I'm assuming that's what's preventing new administrators from being made - simply because they can look into that section. More administrators = less stress. Moderators have no access to a banlist, and therefore warnings can go on until an administrator is active.
This is sorta irrelevant at this point, as there really isn't anything juicy in there anymore. The only stuff in there that's really all that secret was back in the era of 1.09 development. We use AIM at this point, so any potential administrators wouldn't particularly find anything. The issue is something else that I can't exactly make public knowledge right now.

I guess that makes sense, but eventually, some new administrators will have to be appointed.

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:
Second, active moderators are needed. Even last night, SRB2-Playah admitted to rarely visiting the boards, only lurking, mostly. The fact is that moderators need to be more active, or more active moderators are needed.
Absolutely. However, I don't see that many particularly good candidates. Most decent members of the community that I could use as moderators have either left the community or simply lurk. Find me some intelligent people we can use as moderators, and that suggestion is totally valid.

If you're speaking literally, I have one person in mind, and before anyone says it, no, it's not me.

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:
Third, I really think that there should be very little in the way of moderators deleting pointless, spammy posts. A warning is great, but the posts are still there. It's only a couple of clicks to remove them.
This does sound like a good idea.

I take it you intend to implement this? That would really help. A lot.

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:
Fourth, and I know the reaction this will get, but it must be said. Recolor characters should be against the rules at this point. I mean, if at this point, people have already started making it, they can finish, provided there was a topic about it before this rule would be set. An exception to this would be something like the SRB2 Riders modification, where the sprites are edited to work correctly with said modification, and not just as an addon character. This in itself may motivate people to do something relevant. This would easily clean up the Editing and Releases section of the boards.
This, honestly, doesn't work. I think a more appropriate response is to create more subforums to split this content off from the other files, since a vast majority of people don't want to see them. Recolors are a fact of life. Hell, SEGA themselves now uses them to create their new characters.

Eh, maybe. Doesn't mean that they aren't painful to look at, though. X_X

Mystic said:
Thank you for responding intelligently. Nice to know at least ONE person in this topic actually reads my posts.

Any time. ;)

Shu said:
serious waders such a SMS.
Cough!

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:
Also cough.

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:
I think I'd make a decent mod if only:
1. I wasn't new to the forums
2. I didn't break as many rules as I did. (1 forum warning, 1 IRC tempban, 2 IRC kicks)

Ritz said:
Also cough.
I'm sorry, Ritz, but hell freezes over before I make you mod. Honestly. Stop asking.

Basically, people who "think they would make good mods" almost never do. Hence the obvious issue.

Mystic said:
Ritz said:
Also cough.
I'm sorry, Ritz, but hell freezes over before I make you mod. Honestly. Stop asking.

Basically, people who "think they would make good mods" almost never do. Hence the obvious issue.
Meh. I wasn't counting on being a mod any time soon, anyway.

Man...I really have no life. I just looked trough all these posts. >_<

Anyway, you should force members really alot more to search for existing topics that have their question. Most n00bish topics get made by people that never try to search for existing topics or use the search button.

Stricter rules can work, such as: breaking a certain rule gives you 2 warnings, or something like that.

Finally, I know locking topics is ment for n00bs to learn from them, but really...nobody wants to see locked topics with really stupid content. And n00bs don't even try to learn from them, unless its a locked topic that contains a wad that looks pretty awesome to them. I'd just say to delete such topics. Its easier, faster, and people that aren't n00bish will get pleased by the sight to see there aren't locked topics with dumb names and content. Unless its really a topic you can learn from, or a topic that is fairly good but that has gotten a flamewar, and that had to get a lock.

Seriously, newbies can be stupid now and then, but at least they have the common sense to search for information before they'll make a dumb topic like n00bs do.

I think Dark Warrior should be a mod or maybe an admin. He speaks intelligently and knows how to respond to people and stuff. That would help alot. Well, that's in my opinion.

... I didn't mean to be nasty about that, yes I agree DW would make a good person as a mod/admin... I didn't mean to be nasty... I was just saying the people who do it now do a very good job...

Yeah, I know. I was just stating my opinion and yes, the people who are mods and admins do a very good job. :mrgreen:

The Yellow Blue Dude said:
I could name lots of people who could be great mods and admins...
Really? Only two people that come to my mind would probably be Dark Warrior and Draykon. What would be the others, you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back