Inter-Color-Changing Hyper Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaysakado said:
I've only seen one.
Then you know to select good servers, cause most of servers I join are full of n00bs, all of them with sonic overdrive. Something funny I saw once was the mix-up between the sonic overdrive's SOC with mystic realm's one. There was a chaotic lag, spin items were the modified eggman's ship, and thok items were suicidal... -_-'

I've seen a coop with SB's NSZ2 and Overdrive loaded. *shudder* Not to mention it was laggy. Response time of, what, seconds?

Shu said:
M-I-G-H-T work with a soc, but due to the fact some stuck-up member of STJR didn't want to allow normal color changing while moving, it may be difficult.
As that stuck up member, I can tell you that yes, color change scripts DID lag, and it's very simple to explain why. Whenever you change your color, skin or name, you send an additional packet of information to the server informing them of said change. Since most idiots who made said script triggered them every tic, suddenly there are an additional 35 packets being sent to the server a second, killing the latency. The reality is that hyper scripts simply weren't worth the effort to keep, so a stuck-up member of STJr. (me) decided that we could effectively stop them from working in actual gameplay by preventing you from using them while moving. After all, while they DO work while standing still, anyone standing still in match is a loser anyhow ^_~

The reason we did it that way instead of adding a delay in being able to change colors multiple times is because of how the Setup Player menu works. While most advanced players use the console to change color, most newer players use that menu, and if we added a delay to change colors multiple times, it would take a good 10 seconds to change your color via that menu. Since you can't move while using that menu, the "only works while stationary" system works great for letting players use that menu fine.

So yes, I ruined your "fun". The worst part is that I simply don't feel sorry for you. Find something else to amuse yourself that doesn't cause latency.

He's not mean, he just saw the catastrophe before it could happen, and knew how to stop it. xD

on Edge said:
Time to make a hyper Ogl SOC. :P
We shouldn't open the Pandora's box. Once that a SOC like that is made or released, the LAGage will start. And we don't want that. That must NOT happen. ¬.¬'

Care to explain how an "OpenGL Hyper SOC" could exist? Last I checked, there was only one SOC variable that was OpenGL-specific. Unless you plan on making a light SOC...Which would totally lag up games. Even more so than color changing.

on Edge said:
Darn it. Ok. Then I won't. <<

You can try making it to test your skills, but NEVER test it on a netgame, and less to release it. xD

I have a script that does this effect. The problems are:
1. It doesen't work while moving
2. It causes lag
3. It can cause it to read the wrong color, and easily crash the game
Number 3 happens very easily.

What if you made the Hyper-style color-change effect client-side only in 1.1? Instead of sending multiple colors, it would send one color that would tell the client to flash the colors as such. Thus, no lag. And, you’d also be able to turn off the flashing, to avoid distraction. This would also allow such features in 1P mode!

Ok, I can handle a bumped topic, but when its about a question on how to do something I have already figured out, it drives me crazy. So please, dont post in this thread again, infact I would really rather it be deleted or locked. Thankyou for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back