SRB2GetWAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conic

Hello. Did the topic name catch you? Seen something like this in DooM?

Well, if you haven't, and have no idea what I'm talking about, read on!

GetWad is a really cool DooM program that downloads and installs DooM wads. I wondered why nobody had bothered to make this for SRB2.

So.

I did!

Some people have already tested this for me on IRC, but now we have a public alpha! This simple utility downloads and installs SRB2 wads. All you have to do is run it, enter the name of the wad, and it will download it for you! It will even find and extract zips!

The list of the repositories is stored online, so I can add some without a new version.

Now for some screenshots!

http://conicpp.sepwich.com/images/getWadScreenshot1.PNG

http://conicpp.sepwich.com/images/getWadScreenshot2.PNG

Currently this has these repositories:
  • srb2.org addons section
  • SkyNinja's Uploader

BZ4's removed because freewebs sucks.

To make a repository, all you need to do is get yourself a web host, and upload wads to a directory. PM me the link to the directory, and I'll add it. File hosts such as Sendspace will not work. Nor will the FFH.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME HOW TO GET A WEB HOST.

Now for the download link!

http://conicpp.sepwich.com/files/srb2getwad_publicalpha1.zip

Extract it to your SRB2 folder, and run GetWadGUI.exe.

Source code, not needed to run the program. If you don't know what that is, you don't need it.

http://conicpp.sepwich.com/files/srb2getwad_publicalpha1_src.zip

Made in Visual Studio 2008 in C#. Needs the .NET framework 2.0.

Very impressive. Set this up with FFH (if that's still operational - I'm far too lazy to check myself =P) and you've essentially answered one of the most common questions asked on this forum.

Moved to Releases - Misc.

I can't set this up with the FFH. That's the exact thing file hosting sites do not want happening, a robot downloading files and eating bandwidth.

What about Xtreme Starfox's old Wadwhoring sector of the web? *searches XS's posts to find a link*

Edit: DAMN! He changed his sig and now it's lost forever.

Ok.

Man this is awesome. The only way to make it better is to integrate it into SRB2 so that when you try to join a server with WADs you don't have, SRB2 autoruns this to find them.

I have quite a few files on my freewebs that you might be interested in. Now that I think about it, there's a link in my signature, but I think I'm going to move a few things before it's going to be ready.

The GUI is pretty much useless, unless you know the filename you can't really do anything with it. Since you actually need to go to the site to get the filename for anything on BZ4's or SRB2.org's file repositories, you might as well download them from there.

I see no point.

It's for when you're looking for a specific wad file. The original GetWad doesn't have that feature either.

Cue, what happens when you join a server with downloading off, and you don't have one of the wads added?

You get the wad's filename, and the game crashes. So you write down the filename, then put it into SRB2GetWad, and you can spare yourself the search and be in the server in under the amount of time it would take to complete a stage.

No, this is potentially a very useful utility, and will become so as more web directories are added to the system.

Except all the places people put stuff are free file hosts, therefore they cannot be used with this utility.

Yet. The solution to this is just to have someone add those wads to a web directory that getwad uses. Like I said, this is potentially a very useful utility.

And don't go saying that "if you have the wad already to add it to a directory, you don't need getwad". One person does not equal the entire userbase of a utility.

It seems that FreeWebs gives you a page no matter if it exists or not. It downloads the HTML file and saves it as a WAD. Sorry about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back