Old Rules Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sik said:
255 characters you can put 255 new-lines and hence have 255 lines and stretch the tables anyways
*Insert evil laughter here.*
/me goes to change sig. :p EDIT: Gah, if you do that, it thinks you don't have a sig.

Sonict said:
Images were disabled for a reason because of what I said. Since there is no way to moderate the pictures in a sig without a forum MOD and having to check _everybody's_ sig to make sure it is ok, they are disabled for that very reason and they are not coming back.

Sonict

What do you mean, "to make sure it is ok"? The MOD I know can limit width and length of sigs and the number of images that can be inside the signatures. I would appreciate just being able to put in my friggin' affiliate button in place of my signature, so just install the MOD and limit the image number to 1 and the dimensions to 400x200, and there would be very little problems, if any at all.

Sig images are never coming back. Complain too much and I'll just remove sigs altogether, because if you're going to constantly complain anyways, I might as well put it the way I'd REALLY like to see it instead of giving you SOME leeway.

I just got an idea for a rule:

Within 1 week of your registration, send a PM to [insert one of the administrator's names here] saying "QJDYidpUASHDOPkas" to prove that you read the rules. Anyone who does not will be permenantly banned.

Also, members who exist during the creation of the message will still have to do the PM, to weed out the current n00bs.

Mystic said:
Complain too much and I'll just remove sigs altogether

Come on, do we _really_ have to resort to that? That is simply pathetic. There are valid uses for signatures, such as providing information on projects, linking to a personal site, or (heh, heh) linking to the rules page. Just because you don't use them, doesn't mean we should all be forced to live without them. Images in sigs, I could understand, as there was no real way to moderate them, but removing sigs altogether just because of complaints over sig images is not only a selfish act, but it is also an immature way of dealing with the situation. In effect, it'd be trying to fix something that was never broken in the first place.

Honestly, FoxBlitzz, the only real use signatures still have, as you said, is to link to personal sites. There is an (albeit ineffective) method in PHPBB already for doing so, which I'm sure there is a mod for somewhere to make it not suck. The "website" part of your profile can store a link. With a little tinkering I'm sure it could be rigged to display a much better link in someone's profile than it currently does.

Just so you know, the reason I _HAVEN'T_ removed signatures entirely is exactly what you just mentioned. People like them, and they have use in helping lower spam on the forums proper because less people feel they need to promote their website, as their signature can do that. However, they ARE an unnecessary part of the forums and hearing constant complaints about the restrictions placed on them does bring out the devious part in me that feels like simply deleting them and giving people something to actually complain about.

Kaysakado said:

Within 1 week of your registration, send a PM to [insert one of the administrator's names here] saying "QJDYidpUASHDOPkas" to prove that you read the rules. Anyone who does not will be permanently banned.

Also, members who exist during the creation of the message will still have to do the PM, to weed out the current n00bs.

What if you just registered, but got off your computer without reading the rule because your thinking of reading them the next day? But the next day you just remember that you're taking a 1 week trip and you can't get on the SRB2 MB because your internet isn't working and you can't fix it 'till you get back from the trip. Then what happens?

Kaysakado, why would we do that? If you don't read the rules/announcements, it'll come back to them, and they'll be banned anyway.

Cheese said:
Kaysakado said:

Within 1 week of your registration, send a PM to [insert one of the administrator's names here] saying "QJDYidpUASHDOPkas" to prove that you read the rules. Anyone who does not will be permanently banned.

What if you just registered, but got off your computer without reading the rule because your thinking of reading them the next day? But the next day you just remember that you're taking a 1 week trip and you can't get on the SRB2 MB because your internet isn't working and you can't fix it 'till you get back from the trip. Then what happens?
It should be account deleted, not banned.

No, it shouldn't be anything at all. What we really need is to stop appealing as a community to idiots under twelve. :\

Blue Warrior said:
No, it shouldn't be anything at all. What we really need is to stop appealing as a community to idiots under twelve. :\

...I'm 11. Do you think I spam?

Mystic said:
Honestly, FoxBlitzz, the only real use signatures still have, as you said, is to link to personal sites.
First line of my signature :P

By the way... It'll take time until we find the best way to use them. I mean, it's quite known technology can be used more easily to annoy than to help.

By the way, I think there may be some line limit, besides the character one. Of course the example I mentioned one week ago is the extreme, but I'm annoyed of people making ASCII art in their signatures. Three or four lines are OK, seven or eight aren't. Maybe you should control that, too.

Sik, we have the character limit on sigs for a reason. While people can still do ASCII, and stretch the tables, it is somewhat fool-proof and it does stop people from making huge colored ASCII images by abusing the BBCode tags. If we were to lower the limit, it'd be harder to fit in URLs. Of course, TinyURL does its part, but we're still pressed for space.

And yeah, I originally thought your name was pronounced "sick". In fact, I still say it like that without realizing it. :S

I think, if someone breaks more then one rule before the Admins are able to ban him for the first infrigment, it should count as multiple strikes.

EDIT: Technically, it never says double posting is against the rules. Fix that kthxbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back