I'm having 1 little problem with the SRB2 DoomBuilder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

First off! Humblest apologies to the Mods if this is the wrong section for this! :(

Secondly: I'm sure there's an easy solution for this i can find off of Googling, but I have no idea what to call this problem.

And finally, the problem: I'm making a 2.0 map, and I DO HAVE the 2.0 cfg file thing, so that's not whats causing it. For some reason, some of the walls in my map are passable....and if it helps, it would seem its MOSTLY the walls that are towards the South.

Well, that's it. any solutions? :)

Thok Barrier is your solution.

Basically make a second sector outline your first sector. (inside the first sector of course)

And make the floor and ceiling heights the same number.

Then you have your thok barrier.

Really?....So i have do double layer all my outside walls....what a pain....well, thanks for that solution. really, I appreciate it. XD

but if anyone knows what actually causes the problem, I'd like to know, please. :) (to save me the aggravation of double sector-ing all of it) :P

Thank you~

Last edited:
I can't remember what causes the problem, but if you'll always have to make a thok barrier with every level you design. It not only keeps players from running out of the map, but it makes the level look nicer, too.

Really?....So i have do double layer all my outside walls....what a pain....well, thanks for that solution. really, I appreciate it. XD

but if anyone knows what actually causes the problem, I'd like to know, please. :) (to save me the aggravation of double sector-ing all of it) :P

Thank you~

Thok barrier works only if both floor height and ceiling height are the same. (and don't forget the wall textures, or you'll get a Hall of Mirrors)

now that i think about it, so many custom maps i've played have non solid walls....sounds more like a nasty bug that just plain needs to be fixed...

I love srb2, don't get me wrong..... but eh....I HATE BUGGIES!

That is why we have the releases system. We can tell users that have that problem how to fix it. It is as simple as telling them how to make a thok barrier. Then they resubmit the fixed map and (hopefully) get comments on how to make it better.

It IS fixed. SRB2 doesn't support checking if the player has crossed a line, but it does support checking if the player has entered a sector or not. This is why linedef executor triggers are all sector-based instead of linedef-based like Doom's trigger system is.

Thok barriers are necessary for making the collision detection work at the speed SRB2 moves at, and they're also necessary to allow Knuckles to climb outside walls. Knuckles can't climb one-sided linedefs.

Thok barriers are necessary for making the collision detection work at the speed SRB2 moves at, and they're also necessary to allow Knuckles to climb outside walls. Knuckles can't climb one-sided linedefs.
In ye olde list of promised features for SRB2 "1.1", it was claimed that thok barriers would not be mandatory anymore, which led me to believe the south/westmost wall permeability bug had been fixed. This is clearly not the case. So I have to wonder: what happened? Did someone find the problem, but not a way to actually fix it?

Turns out the fix had unintended consequences that are far worse than the workarounds for said issues. I'm pretty sure that we ARE going to deal with the westmost/southmost wall bug in 2.0.5, but if it's not already fixed, it should be for 2.1. That's another issue, if I recall correctly.

I don't remember them in detail. I cut things short generally because frequently the side effects are uninteresting things like frequent SIGSEGVs or other things that just aren't worth noting.

Trust me, if the side effects were interesting and amusing, I would have posted them. Considering I don't remember, they couldn't have been that funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back