SRB2 2.01 : What are your honest thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

I started this topic because i may have been the first to download the new version, i accidentally went to srb2.org, and its there, along with some sad news about SSNtails. Also, I don't want this to become a raged topic about some dumb argument, so let me please kick this off:

Srb2 2.01 Opinions

Pros:

Beautiful levels, some with amazing textures
More levels, Such as Deep Sea Zone
Knuckles is finished (and looking amazing)
There are a ***********load of new enemies, not just crawlas and piranhas, and They are very well designed
Castle Eggman looks amazing, and it looks like a castle from the dark ages.
Robotnik has at least one new boss, as far as I can see so far in the game
There is a level dedicated to being one massive puzzle, which is a nice change from just running around
you have automatic saving

Cons:

Knuckles' Palette is glossy, the wiki states that the palette was updated
Castle Eggman zone looks a little depressing to me, but its very fun,
I miss the old crawlas and eggmobiles
Some levels look a little too blocky, and im wondering if that's just because there are almost too many line segments on screen
the game isnt backwards compatible, I've been working on a map for quite some time now, but i believe it can be ported
I miss CEZ 2 from 109.4

I DO NOT INTEND FOR THIS TOPIC TO BE BLOCKED, I ONLY WANT PEOPLE TO SHARE THEIR OPINIONS.

EDIT: Wow, it looks like 2 people beat me to it, please still give out reviews on the new version, eg: pros and cons

I thought levels' themes, visuals, gimmicks, tricks, strategies and gameplay were way past epectations. Especially Eggscalibur. Really nice boss strategy.

I enjoyed CEZ2. The new Eggman statues are really awesome to look at, and the chain-swinging gimmick isn't bad once you figure out how to use it (took me a little bit to realize that pushing forward makes the chain spin faster). The puzzles were interesting without being too frustrating to slow things down. I guess I'm pretty lucky to not have the slowdown problems in this level that others have mentioned, although the cannon section near the end of CEZ1 caused me to lag a little bit until I got past it. Now that I think of it, I don't even remember if CEZ even had a boss stage (it was 3:30 in the morning when I played it, sue me :-P).

I have to head out of the house now, but I'll give more thoughts later.

Walan said:
I enjoyed CEZ2. The new Eggman statues are really awesome to look at, and the chain-swinging gimmick isn't bad once you figure out how to use it (took me a little bit to realize that pushing forward makes the chain spin faster). The puzzles were interesting without being too frustrating to slow things down. I guess I'm pretty lucky to not have the slowdown problems in this level that others have mentioned, although the cannon section near the end of CEZ1 caused me to lag a little bit until I got past it. Now that I think of it, I don't even remember if CEZ even had a boss stage (it was 3:30 in the morning when I played it, sue me :-P).

I have to head out of the house now, but I'll give more thoughts later.

no, there was no boss, but the one from 109.4 wasnt that amazing anyway

I dislike the way DSZ1's textures are used. Kinda hurts the eyes. But everything else is way better. I like the way the crawlas look.

I liked the textures, they kept it fresh, it was like lost world from adventure but with a new set of textures

I believe all in all the game came out nice.

Pros:
Tons of new enemies!
New levels are out and seem pretty nice.
So far like Simon said I've seen one new bosses added.
Harder levels and new challenges.

Cons:
SRB2win has the opengl disabled and SRB2sdl seems unstable on my machine.
The levels seem rough around the edges but I suspect that as new versions come out they'll be fine tuned.
Lots of pits in unexpected areas.

All around the game is a great start to the 2.X family.

I'm praising that Open_Gl is gone. It wasn't a very good thing in SRB2, and was laggy as hell. Plus, it constantly crashed.

Everything was awesome. The new Knuckles sprites, new enemies... I just cant pass Deep Sea Zone 1 because of the lag.

Fyrus said:
I'm praising that Open_Gl is gone. It wasn't a very good thing in SRB2, and was laggy as hell. Plus, it constantly crashed.

I liked the OpenGL feature, it made the game less pixelated, im sure it will come back eventually

Simon said:
I miss CEZ 2 from 109.4

I know this is your opinion and you can think whatever you want, but, the old CEZ 2 was nothing more then a button hunt with 6 rooms around a main circle room, really boring, especially when its all we had to play over and over again for 5+years, didn't feel like a Sonic level at all to me. Also it feels way more depressing then the new level imo.

The last room in the new CEZ 2 is also a button hunt, but its more fun (apart from the framerate), challenging and has proper sonic level design, also, you don't even have to go into that room to finish the level, its an alternate end to the level.

Sciky said:
Simon said:
I miss CEZ 2 from 109.4

I know this is your opinion and you can think whatever you want, but, the old CEZ 2 was nothing more then a button hunt with 6 rooms around a main circle room, really boring, especially when its all we had to play over and over again for 5+years, didn't feel like a Sonic level at all to me. Also it feels way more depressing then the new level imo.

The last room in the new CEZ 2 is also a button hunt, but its more fun (apart from the framerate), challenging and has proper sonic level design, also, you don't even have to go into that room to finish the level, its an alternate end to the level.

I loved the alternate in DSZ 1

Right now, i'm loving it but...

Pros:
Deep Sea Zone
New Match/CTF Mode
New Enemies
New Music (EggRock Zone <3)

Cons:
CEZ2 Lag, haven't beaten it yet...
Some commands removed.

That's it actually...

I was going to correct something I said but Simon quoted me so I'll have to just say it. I got it wrong that there's an alternate ending to CEZ2, I just went back and played it and all paths lead to the same room.

The last room in CEZ2 barely gave me any framerate problems whatsover, lastnight when playing the framerate was a lot worse. Hopefully from now on it'll play like it did today.

It was pretty good, and all I agree with all the pros above, all except one thing.

Knuckles was an edit of sonic, and as with the climbing frames, not a very good one. The srb2 community has always dismissed edits, so I can't figure out why everyone likes it so much.

Also, knuckles didn't give me the same feel that Sonic and Tails always have. It was, no doubt amazing, to play as a finished knuckles, but I was expecting a bit more.

Anyway, the only real cons I have are:

Some Commands have been deleted.
Things far away are fuzzy and are hard to see.
Old wads won't work.

Pros:

Some pretty cool new levels.
More items.
More enemies.
More bosses.
More mechanics.

Eh, I think thats enough for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back