[Open Assets] Running Sfx

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Tamkis

Lua Grasshopper
Just a very simple Lua script which adds sound environmental sound effects for walking/running, both above and below water and while gravflipped, similar to Sonic R. Annoy your friends with walking sound effects, or add some challenge to Tag/Hide N' Seek modes with an audible notification of players' presence! Running sfx can be toggled via a "Run" command with a boolean parameter to toggle.

Unfortunately, screenshots are unable to do this audible script justice.
Original Video (v1.0a)
Newer Video (v1.0b)

Bugs: None?
Credits: Deadpool the Hedge... for beta testing

Attachments

• Run_SFX.7z
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,673
Last edited:
I think you should use a sound with just one 'Tap' to it, because this sounds like a group of horses right now.

Interesting concept of a Lua though, good work.

I think you should use a sound with just one 'Tap' to it, because this sounds like a group of horses right now.

Interesting concept of a Lua though, good work.

Thanks!

Updated the OP with a newer video which actually reflects the state of the wad. The newer video shows the running sound effects as a single tap on each left/right step above and underwater, and with better sound effects. Also, the effects now work while gravflipped.

As an afterthought, planning on renaming this wad's addon to "EnviFX" and adding more movement sound effects such as

• CA_ (Charability) Effects
    • CA_CLIMBANDGLIDE (Knuckles)
      • Whooshing sounds for Knux gliding
      • Climbing sounds for Knux climbing
    • CA_FLOAT/CA_SLOWFALL
      • Whooshing sounds
    • CA_TELEKINESIS, CA_FALLSWITCH, CA_JUMPBOOST, CA_AIRDRILL
      • ?
      • What do these particular ones do, and what character wads actually use them?
  • TV Powerups
    • Shield/invicibility/speedy shoes humming sfx

By the way, it's CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB for knuckles, so don't get them two mixed up.

Also, look at metal_anyone. The majority of the abilities are used there, including Telekinesis (spin to pull enemies in, jump to push them out), Fall switch (reverse your Z momentum), CA_JUMPTHOK [not CA_JUMPBOOST] (self-explanatory) and CA_AIRDRILL (Air Drill, plays spin rev sound when used)

By the way, it's CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB for knuckles, so don't get them two mixed up.

Also, look at metal_anyone. The majority of the abilities are used there, including Telekinesis (spin to pull enemies in, jump to push them out), Fall switch (reverse your Z momentum), CA_JUMPTHOK [not CA_JUMPBOOST] (self-explanatory) and CA_AIRDRILL (Air Drill, plays spin rev sound when used)
SSG3 CA_JUMPBOOST exist and it's ability when faster you are higher you jump and it's used by Blade's Metal Sonic

I like the concept, but those footstep noises just sound like basic recordings. Might I suggest you go to the Sounds Resource and find the sounds from Sonic Generations and Adventure?

I like the concept, but those footstep noises just sound like basic recordings. Might I suggest you go to the Sounds Resource and find the sounds from Sonic Generations and Adventure?

To add onto this, the current sounds seem to start a bit too late and happen to play after stepping onto the ground. They could also stand to play for a shorter length of time, and if they were just a little more quiet I could probably see you being able to use them for every frame the player's feet touch the ground, but that's just me thinking about it.

...but again, those sounds outright don't really fit the terrain you usually cross in the game. I could see maybe something more like a sneaker hitting dirt or grass; even if it might clash with stages like ERZ.

Also, another issue with this is that characters such as Metal Sonic and Shadow don't work with this because they both have their own moving sound effects, and plus Metal floats. So basically you couldn't have the sound effects and those characters added at the same time without being broken. To be honest, there's so many problems that come with adding those kinds of sound effects in SRB2. It's never going to work perfectly.

...but again, those sounds outright don't really fit the terrain you usually cross in the game. I could see maybe something more like a sneaker hitting dirt or grass; even if it might clash with stages like ERZ.

Maybe checking the floor texture to vary the sound would work too?
Even though it would require to check for a lot of them.

I'll take a look at that WAD.

Also, another issue with this is that characters such as Metal Sonic and Shadow don't work with this because they both have their own moving sound effects, and plus Metal floats. So basically you couldn't have the sound effects and those characters added at the same time without being broken. To be honest, there's so many problems that come with adding those kinds of sound effects in SRB2. It's never going to work perfectly.

I can see about adding a console command for the admin/server that takes a WAD character's skin name as a string and does not apply the sound effects with the Run console command.

Originally Posted by Saturn Ross

To add onto this, the current sounds seem to start a bit too late and happen to play after stepping onto the ground. They could also stand to play for a shorter length of time, and if they were just a little more quiet I could probably see you being able to use them for every frame the player's feet touch the ground, but that's just me thinking about it.

Yeah, I used a clip from a generic walking sound effect from freesound.org for the sound, although previous it was the Sonic R stepping (that people complained sounded like horses gallaping). I'll use a better stepping sound effects for next update.

Thanks for the comments, everybody!

While I was on Duon's site, I saw another running SFX wad, which I saw was partially by you (Tamkis), worked with Shadow and Metal Sonic, and could easily be changed to add other wads. Why not just port that here?

Because Anybody could've created it. I have yet to find a proper source for that wad. It's not Tamkis' wad. But possibly someone else who has yet to show their potential. In fact, there are a couple of individual unknown wads that use footstep sound effects perfectly with the character's sprites. But aside from that, Tamkis' is either going to have to do it himself, or if someone is willing to collab with him, they can properly create it. My site is a junk site for srb2 wads that haven't gotten on the MB, or never were going on there in the first place.

While I was on Duon's site, I saw another running SFX wad, which I saw was partially by you (Tamkis), worked with Shadow and Metal Sonic, and could easily be changed to add other wads. Why not just port that here?
The code from that WAD was modified by me, believe it or not. I used some Lua, pretty sure it was from Tamkis, that I found while roaming the MB a long time ago and modified it to my liking. I'm going to send Tamkis the versions I have when I get back near the end of the month, and see what he wants to do with them. Added bonus from that WAD is that Knuckles has his glide/climb sounds, too.
If Tamkis didn't post that code in some part of the Editing subforum, please correct me if im wrong. I am not saying that code is mine, but I am saying that I've made the packs that that have modified versions of it, those being "SoftwareModern" and "OGLModern". Though I don't think I've uploaded OGLModern anywhere yet. Also the credits are in the WADs as always in case if I ever submit those packs..

Last edited:
I just noticed I'm on the credits for some odd reason, I know I tested your older version of the wad but not the current updated version you made, I thought it needed some adjustments on the older versions. Although I didn't realize that you where going to release just the sound effect in the first place, but it I guess it doesn't really matter now.

Last edited:
So is there any way to use an autoexec file to have the sounds automatically enabled? I personally enjoy having it but it's a tad redundant to have to manually add them

Unfortunately not without modifying the script. If you're up for it, you can force the SFX to default to on by adding the following to line 29 of LUA_RUN.
Code:
if player.running == nil then player.running = 1 end

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back