The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?

It would be a bit awkward to hang out with your friends and admit to liking and watching a cartoon called "My Little Pony".
I won't deny that. When I brought it up during Geometry earlier today, the guy I was talking to gave me a strange look.

MEH

Wow, Gsuki wasn't kidding. You guys actually talk about "My Little Pony" in #srb2fun, and now in the message board. It doesn't matter if the story is funny, it's about... ponies. It's what little 2-year-old girls love, and wish they could have. Having teenage boys talk about it is just... wrong.

You like Powerpuff Girls? Well it's about little girls, yes, but it has mature intense battles with drama around. Winnie the Poo? If you grew up with it, then I'm sure it's cause of fanboy-ism or plain nostalgia. Just not My Little Ponies, please.

*CZ64 turns on flame shield.

You know... this Powerpuff Girls fan in me was in the exact same mindset... And then after avoiding it like the plague I watched it.

And it was.... Er... good?

Like I said in the chatroom, this show shouldn't be this good. This is far removed from the vapid piece of shit that was the original cartoon (which Faust described to a tee). This is.... is... Really damn good. Which is painful to say, not out of manliness, but of my dignity for liking a show centered around selling toys to girls like the original show was. Powerpuff Girls didn't start out as that, and that's what made it that much easier to like that series.... But then Faust does this show in this day and age.... Yeaaaahhh..... I was really afraid this was one of those shows to sell toys by having very basic, very mundane girly plots but... it's not. It's really something else.

Don't knock it until you try it. As much as I'm in denial of this show's existence it really is a good show.

I won't deny that. When I brought it up during Geometry earlier today, the guy I was talking to gave me a strange look.

MEH

I brought the show up to my mom and she asked me if the person who told me about it was gay.

Told my friends too. One of them listened to how the first episode was like but he's ignorant and called it stupid anyway.

Who knew so many Bronies were on this board?

I always hated that name for it's bandwagon implication. I may want to discuss about the show, but i'm no real fan of it either even If I mentioned I deeply enjoyed it. But since we already have the cult of Universal century gundam lovers and narutards, I guess we needed a classification for the pony fan boys *shrug*

[QUOTE="Brown The Dog']Who knew that this topic would appear on this board?
Most likely no one. [/QUOTE]
I did, it was just a matter of time before someone wanted to mention it

Well, it's better than most of the shit out these days, I'll give it that. I've watched the first episode, but nothing really stands out to me yet. Seems....alright so far. I think the bandwagon mentality is really causing some positive bias, but I can't be sure until I've watched a bit more.

What network does this air on?

Well, it's better than most of the shit out these days, I'll give it that. I've watched the first episode, but nothing really stands out to me yet. Seems....alright so far. I think the bandwagon mentality is really causing some positive bias, but I can't be sure until I've watched a bit more.

What network does this air on?

The first episode is incredibly cheesy. Watch the 16th one to catch up.

And now someone is disturbed. Well since talking about a certain show is going to bother someone, guess I'll just stop participating.

Hope that makes you feel better.

And just when I thought my mental image of the forum coudn't get worse.
sretah-%28n1299432282365%29.gif
You have a problem with some people enjoying a particular show? I don't particularly care for a number of things people talk about in the community all the time (yes I am talking about touhou), but I know how to not get bitchy about it and insult people who like it! (I do now anyway)

Last edited:
Good tip. STAY OUT OF THIS TOPIC AND YOU WON'T SUFFER AT ALL. I mean seriously. Can you not simply do that if you do not care about the material? Instead you insult the people that actually like this show over a differing OPINION. How low are you?

...says the guy who came up with "Obamasnow" and used the term "You cannot handle The President's blackness!" to describe it (paraphrasing here, can't remember the exact wording, though I assume its an Earthbound refference). Yes, the show is clearly for girls, but it doesn't have to be the ONLY demographic, as many cartoons can tell you. And before continuing to comment how girly it is, remember that blue used to be the girly color and pink was masculine.

Pfft, we get it, you don't like the show because you have to keep your idea of masculine stature. Could we all just please stop complaining about it and leave the real discussion to those who actually want to talk about the SHOW and not the people who like the show?

Now, on to the show itself.

I don't think it's a rise to glory of 90s cartoons and its educational rating certainly shows itself in some of the episodes, but overall it's actually quite an interesting cartoon simply because of how much Lauren Faust managed to avoid the stereotypical "girly" cartoon genre and actually give proper personalities and characterization to the characters involved. The writing for the show is actually decent as well; it's not incredibly great writing but it's not cringe-inducingly cheesy. The songs sometimes catch me off guard and turning down the volume but there's not much to hate aside from that.

Onto the animation, which is usually one of my favorite aspects of any cartoon, I think the animation team has nearly cured my hatred of Flash animation. Backgrounds and the like have the same sort of retro-minimalistic feel that was also present in Powerpuff Girls and Fosters, which is a plus because I adored the visual designs of those shows. The actual animation itself isn't just lazy Flash animation via tweening and other computer-generated processes, a lot of the show actually retains a hand animated look to it. My only complaint is that extreme close-ups of characters and objects while increase the thickness of the lines surrounding said object greatly, but aside from that no real grips about the animation.

So yeah, the show actually does have a lot of heart and good design both in writing and visuals. For anyone who doesn't understand why so many people love the series it's probably this is the first really really good cartoon that's existed in several years.

Last edited:
Pfft, we get it, you don't like the show because you have to keep your idea of masculine statur. Could we all just please stop complaining about it and leave the real discussion to those who actually want to talk about the SHOW and not the people who like the show?

Now, on to the show itself.

I don't think it's a rise to glory of 90s cartoons and its educational rating certainly shows itself in some of the episodes, but overall it's actually quite an interesting cartoon simply because of how much Lauren Faust managed to avoid the stereotypical "girly" cartoon genre and actually give proper personalities and characterization to the characters involved. The writing for the show is actually decent as well; it's not incredibly great writing but it's not cringe-inducingly cheesy. The songs sometimes catch me off guard and turning down the volume but there's not much to hate aside from that.

Onto the animation, which is usually one of my favorite aspects of any cartoon, I think the animation team has nearly cured my hatred of Flash animation. Backgrounds and the like have the same sort of retro-minimalistic feel that was also present in Powerpuff Girls and Fosters, which is a plus because I adored the visual designs of those shows. The actual animation itself isn't just lazy Flash animation via tweening and other computer-generated processes, a lot of the show actually retains a hand animated look to it. My only complaint is that extreme close-ups of characters and objects while increase the thickness of the lines surrounding said object greatly, but aside from that no real grips about the animation.

So yeah, the show actually does have a lot of heart and good design both in writing and visuals. For anyone who doesn't understand why so many people love the series it's probably this is the first really really good cartoon that's existed in several years.

My mom still doesn't understand the show. She thinks that the friend that referred me to this is gay and tells me to watch out(Our family grew on on the motto that you shouldn't hang out with gay people because they might end up raping you), and no matter how much I tell her that it's good and one of the best TV shows I've seen since I was 6(which then gives me nostalgia because Foster's home was one of my favorite CN shows), she still won't get it.

I think a lot of people are bashing on this show because of it's name. For instance when I bring it up in school everyone says I'm crazy because of it's name. Oh well, time to bring out my old avatar:

kSQsi.jpg

...That does it. I'm watching this show first chance I get, then we'll decide if I've become one of the Bronies or not.

Also, the manliest thing possible is doing something totally unmanly and not letting it threaten your manhood. Therefore, this show is manly.

...That does it. I'm watching this show first chance I get, then we'll decide if I've become one of the Bronies or not.

Also, the manliest thing possible is doing something totally unmanly and not letting it threaten your manhood. Therefore, this show is manly.

SpikeTemplatemacro9.png

Then again, being a pin cushion seems more manly >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back