Anyone else disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary to some people, I actually liked the cannons' room: It feels like your in the middle of a war between castles.

The breakable walls room was a bit disappointing, as it could have more unbreakable walls and it would be more as a labyrinth rather than "going forward (pretty much like that.) to get out of the room". (Odd thing I found is you can actually break those walls as Sonic and Tails by just touching it.)

Knuckles MetalMind said:
As for all of you getting a lot of crashes, we're going to try to band-aid that by going back to 1.09.4's memory management system in 2.0.2.

Wow, that must take a lot of work... What was the reason of the change anyway? Better/easier management? It´s a pitty if you have to reverse something that took a lot of work... :( Anyway it´s something not noticable by players, is it?

The point of going to the new memory manager was the following:

*) Get SRB2 to crash more often if some code is bad.
*) Allow unlimited memory use (rather than stuck with 64mb or whatever you specify with -mb parameter)

Unfortunately, Doom rendering engine is not meant to work in a protected memory environment (or there are some memory corruption bugs we cannot find). So it is doing the right thing and crashing, but obviously we don't want this to occur in a public release.

No they do not.
A save system is not there to hold a point for crashes. It is there to save progress. The crashes should be fixed themselves. We shouldn't rework the save system as crash protection. That's just stupid.

Also, we've heard all your arguments against it, and we will take them into consideration for future versions. Do note that this does NOT mean that you'll get the changes, it only means we will give your arguments some weight. Now, please stop nagging us about it. You've made it ABUNDANTLY clear that you dislike it.

glaber, please drop it. We know you don't like the save system. You've only said this a couple hundred times. Requesting it a thousand more is not going to make us any more likely to do it.

If anything, your complaints about it will make us consider doing that request even less than before. Just do what the two other administrators told you please. It will be unfortunate if we have to ban you because you keep on mentioning it in every single thread and it really gets annoying. Cut it out. We get it already, thanks.

Anyways, lets not forget about SSNTAILS post.

SSNTails said:
It will save on act 1 of every zone.

If you are playing using a completed game, it will save every time you reach a new act, and will also save every time you finish a special stage.

Until the save system gets a tad smarter, I'd highly suggest running through the game, complete it, and then go back and get your emeralds/emblems since your progress will get saved more often.

Everyone do this till the crashes get fixed.

Would you rather have the game frozen on the screen/unplayable? It's a good defense against potentially harmful code.

Fyrus said:
Would you rather have the game frozen on the screen/unplayable? It's a good defense against potentially harmful code.

Well, when you release a game, the game isn't supposed to freeze in the first place. :p

But....

Editing my post completely because I accidently posted the same thing in two topics, I thought it didn't work in one topic so I posted it elsewhere, turns out it did work the first time.

Autosaver said:
Fyrus said:

Well, when you release a game, the game isn't supposed to freeze in the first place. :p

But....

Of course not. But every game has it's share of glitches, errors, etc. This just keeps those really significant ones from ruining the game.

Sure, you can cover up the issue with a "band aid", but the problem is still going to exist. We are going with the "band aid" treatment for now and hopefully, we will keep working at figuring out the main issue. Once we figure that out, stability in SRB2 should be much better. Right now, we have fixed some netplay bugs and hopefully, some SigSegv's as well. Right now, we hope to have a new bugfix build of SRB2 released within a week or two, but don't quote me on that.

A lot of these people have good suggestions, but don't know how to properly put them out. Instead of complaining, I'd suggest using constructive criticism, complaining not only pisses of the staff, but it gives a bad impression to new members, like me for instance :/

The problem starts when this topic was opened for people to say "I'm disappointed, because I didn't like it, too". Since then, this topic became a, say, SRB2 2.0's haters magnet.

If people wants to show their opinions, with PROS and CONS, I would recommend to post here: http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=18240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back