New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Sonic Team's troubles. It either going to be 30FPS and for PS3, it will jump around. :) Just like SU...

That would be a sad sight, but nothing new especially seeing Sonic '06, SU and some more of the current Sonic games. I just want a Sonic game with great gameplay, level design, and no cheesy story (Sonic '06 and some of the more current games if not that all of the more current ones).

We just have to wait and see until the next news update.

Looking at Sonic Team's troubles. It either going to be 30FPS and for PS3, it will jump around. :) Just like SU...
I really doubt a full 2D game would cause the same kind of framerate issues Unleashed had. For one thing, it's extremely unlikely that a 2D game will even come close to the sheer size of Unleashed's levels (some of which have landscapes that literally stretch for miles at a time) - anything even close to that big in 2D would either seem far too long for a Sonic level, or too much trouble to design in the first place. Or both. Either way, it'd make sense for a fully-2D game to have much smaller levels, and with that, you take a hell of a lot of pressure off the processor's shoulders to boot.

And then if it turns out to be sprite-based, well, that's even less pressure on the console that could otherwise have been rendering high-poly models at such fast rates. But umm, I guess that's a more circumstantial point so you can disregard that if you feel like it. Also I know I'm fairly late to reply to this but:

Well, they alwas change his look, (the biggest change was probably from Sonic Adventure 2 to Heroes).

But taking in count the STH2006 trauma, people will recognise these pictures better:

picturespictures

All in 2 years.
Seriously, dude? You need to take a break. You'd have to be extremely lonely to even recognise any real difference between those designs, let alone complain about them. For all intents and purposes, they're virtually identical - I can't see any purpose at all in trying to spot the difference, beyond petty nitpicking.

Sonic Unleash is a hold right adventure, so it really does feel like one, as there is nothing really 3D about it.

Well then, have you played EggmanLand (it isn't called Crimson Carnival in the PS3 version :<). And really, have you even played it. Both versions you can't just hold own boost and wait there. You would have gotten hurt pretty damn easily in about five seconds flat. (Yes you can get hurt while boosting, the enemies just need awesome timing) That or in the case of Adabat, fall off a cliff at the start of the level.

Which version are you referring to? I've played three zones in the Wii one and I didn't like it.

This is the main problem here....

Those who have played the alternate version (Wii/Ps2) only take witness to those individual levels and come to the conclusion of all console stages being leaner. Though he still proves a point about SU being similar to a "Hold-Right" based game. Some stages require halting of a one direction movement leading to a pit, but afterwards you go straight back to the same method which takes up to more time than a simple drift or button press gimmick.

Violo said:
Well then, have you played Eggman Land (it isn't called Crimson Carnival in the PS3 version :<). And really, have you even played it. Both versions you can't just hold own boost and wait there. You would have gotten hurt pretty damn easily in about five seconds flat. (Yes you can get hurt while boosting, the enemies just need awesome timing) That or in the case of Adabat, fall off a cliff at the start of the level.

Might I correct you? In one way your right, certain gimmicks in SU require a different method of movement or action in order to continue throughout the stage in which the gameplay slows down and boost cannot be used (examples would be stages like Chun-nan, Adabat, and Empire City) Though if that applied to all of the stages more in which to increase the uniqueness of the level then I wouldn't be shooting my mouth off.

Put it this way....You spend more time running, lets say for about two minutes and 60 seconds in a straight line (hypothetically) until your halted at a gimmick which will take you a few seconds (no difficulty added) then back to running until you end up at the same exact sequence from before but with two robots to occupy you. Now the bots in this game really don't prove much of a threat if your sonic, so I see no possible challenge from enemies to waste time on a simple "Stompz-on-the-large-button " gimmick. Afterwards (as I stated twice) you repeat the same "run straight-like" method with nothing else getting in your way. The percentage of that method happening is, by my estimate, 75% more than the 25% applied of distractions.

As for getting hurt by the bots while boosting....Well pish-posh my friend, thats a matter of luck, kinda like them getting a 1 on an 6 sided dice in which all five numbers are 6. Not fair eh? The only possible chance of that happening is if your speed is slightly halted by sudden movement (not the side step, but rather a drift-like movement) in which the boost wave has an opening for a possible attack or letting go of the boost button at the wrong moment. This can go both ways really, though the bots are completely suckish against a freaken rocket zipping through them.

I wouldn't use Eggman Land in this argument since it's clearly obvious that it was intended to focus on the two gameplay elements, and it's the only stage which it truly acts like A sonic stage....in its own way that is.

Last edited:
Seriously, dude? You need to take a break. You'd have to be extremely lonely to even recognise any real difference between those designs, let alone complain about them. For all intents and purposes, they're virtually identical - I can't see any purpose at all in trying to spot the difference, beyond petty nitpicking.

Was that necessary? It doesn´t require much brain cells to realise Sonic´s shoes and size are way different from 2001 to 2004.

It's rather asinine to point them out though. If you're looking for constant makeovers, just google Star Fox images.

Was that necessary? It doesn´t require much brain cells to realise Sonic´s shoes and size are way different from 2001 to 2004.
Well in 2001 sonic was wearing soap shoes, which allows him to grind on rails. problem is, he went back to his original design and continues to grind.

SOAP was a brand tie-in, it has nothing to do with new abilities. Problem? There is no problem.

Sonic Unleash is a hold right adventure, so it really does feel like one, as there is nothing really 3D about it.
Play the Find Yasmine mission in Unleashed HD, and try saying that again. I dare you.

I dunno what Unleashed Wii was like in the same regard, but the difficulty curve in the 360 version had a pretty nasty habit of ****ing you right up the ass a few continents in, if only because it punishes this sad misconception of "holding right" (though in this game it was really more of a matter of holding the boost button instead) and expecting to get away completely unpunished for it. Usually, with an instant death pit. Overall twitch gaming becomes a lot more common further into the game too, which throws in quick steps and stomps and expects you to react within milliseconds. If anything, Unleashed is too bloody cheap.

Right, and I'm sure that makes all of the difference when it comes to making a good Sonic game. Um, no. Not only does it really not change anything besides some minor visual tweaks, it is only barely noticable in the actual game for christ's sake. It simply baffles me that anyone can be so picky about an issue so infinitely small, particularly in the state of the series and its fandom right about now. It's almost as bad as the people who refuse to buy Sonic games based soley on Sonic's ****ing eye colour (YES THOSE KINDS OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY EXIST, SADLY).

Right, and I'm sure that makes all of the difference when it comes to making a good Sonic game. Um, no. Not only does it really not change anything besides some minor visual tweaks, it is only barely noticable in the actual game for christ's sake. It simply baffles me that anyone can be so picky about an issue so infinitely small, particularly in the state of the series and its fandom right about now. It's almost as bad as the people who refuse to buy Sonic games based soley on Sonic's ****ing eye colour (YES THOSE KINDS OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY EXIST, SADLY).

And all of that was just because I said shoes are different? It´s no big deal, I just said a difference on design, that is all. And just to make things clear, I´m not on the side of the fanbase that says that new Sonic games suck because of his voice/plataforming/storyline, never found a reason to complaing about those 3 things.

But doesn't he have like, metal braces on them now?

EDIT: Not metal, sorry, I mean the bottom of his shoes.

Last edited:
But doesn't he have like, metal braces on them now?

EDIT: Not metal, sorry, I mean the bottom of his shoes.

sonic-unleashed-running-cutscene.jpg

Not according to this picture, he doesn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back