Sonic & the Black Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh, it isn't dead unless you kill it with fire...
That said there haven't been any new games announced (except from the SaMatWOG), Sega usually reveal there projects in one big bundle (Usually revealing 2 games within an 2 month time period)

blargen said:
Im sorry but this is still what I see.
sthonockwisthsthowrdsby.png

And to what purpose was posting that pic for? I don't see the point of posting that at all. This is like barging into a basketball meeting and saying "basketball sucks" with no reason. If you are gonna say it sucks at least give us a reason.

crazy escape said:
blargen said:
Im sorry but this is still what I see.
sthonockwisthsthowrdsby.png

And to what purpose was posting that pic for? I don't see the point of posting that at all. This is like barging into a basketball meeting and saying "basketball sucks" with no reason. If you are gonna say it sucks at least give us a reason.
Its just the idea of sonic with a sword... It makes no sense. I dont think the game really got sonic anywhere. Sega needed to to give sonic the edge that he had in the origanal games... insted they gave him a sword. By the way I think the basketball thing was very funny.

Autosaver said:
For god's sakes this is a SPIN-OFF

Of course its not going to be the same SA formula. :/

Have any of the main games gone with the SA formula?

Blargen, there was also really no point in posting that picture.

Jellybones69 said:
Autosaver said:

I know... should I take it off?

Jellybones69 said:
Autosaver said:

Sonic 06...but kinda went bad
And SU kinda did too.

Autosaver said:
Jellybones69 said:
Autosaver said:

And SU kinda did too.

Unleashed? Well it could of had a chance if theu didn't go horror movie on it. And if they took off the sonic speed concept, it would of been like SA again.

TrueTenguMan said:
Autosaver said:
Jellybones69 said:
Autosaver said:

And SU kinda did too.

Unleashed? Well it could of had a chance if theu didn't go horror movie on it. And if they took off the sonic speed concept, it would of been like SA again.

If you just ran it felt really like SA....

Autosaver said:
If you ment how he runs in the adventure fields in Unleashed, then yea, that would of been best and I would of let that slide.

But recall how hard it is to control him in the game? His movements are that of a motorcycle in the day stages.

TrueTenguMan said:
Autosaver said:
If you ment how he runs in the adventure fields in Unleashed, then yea, that would of been best and I would of let that slide.

But recall how hard it is to control him in the game? His movements are that of a motorcycle in the day stages.

Not really, I played the demo and its so easy to control.

Autosaver said:
TrueTenguMan said:
Autosaver said:

Not really, I played the demo and its so easy to control.
It really is. But then again, I play Mario Kart with Manual Drift, so yeah....

When i come to think of it, this game is actually extremely average.... The sword play works well with a more Werehog form of freedom instead of SatSR. And I know Autosaver's going to complain that it's not on-rails, so just to be clear:

It's a combat and on-rails hybrid. (Otherwise known as lame combination.)
The control system didn't do this game justice. It was too limited. Screw the SatSR formula. Go with Unleashed's gameplay style.

Gamestop had a huge sale and I was able to get the game at a discount. After playing through most of the game I believe I can give a fairly reasonable opinion about it.

Excellent presentation values, surprisingly good storyline (though a little short for its own good), and plenty of awards and replay. The gameplay is substandard however, and the multiplayer is simply tacked on. If after doing the research you don't think it will bother you too much, its worth a buy at a discount if you want to keep it for the treasury and etc, but otherwise its an easy rental.

• -----
    Details:

Presentation
    The storybook quality of the first game was taken to the next level, the cutscenes were far more dynamic but kept the comic-book feel of the old ones. The voices are a vast improvement, though Amy's voice sounds a little funny used for exposition, and with a few exceptions most characters are clear without being flanderized. (I'm looking at you Gawain)
    The music ranges from good to fantastic, with highlights definitely being Great Megalith, the remixes of the SA2 tunes, and Merlina's theme, among others... The main theme is good though the part you will hear over and over again can get old.
    Worth noting is the fact that you can use Knuckles', Shadow's, or Blaze's theme by equipping the seal of the respective knight. This is not advisable on levels such as Deep Forest or Great Megalith though... *wink*

Gameplay
    The most immediate issue is *not* the swordsmanship, but the fact that the paths have actually been made narrower than in Secret Rings, confining you, your enemies, and the obstacles to a much tighter space. The experience with the sword combat is inconsistent, sometimes being a very satisfying experience (homing attack plus sword combos as Sonic feels almost as good as going berserk with Gawain) and other times feeling relatively awkward (Lancelot's nearly useless abilities and Percival's slow combos are the worst culprits).
    Sometimes obstacles will feel unintuitive, this is mostly due to friendlies surrounding the foes, making it impossible to attack without harming them, and a low draw distance for peasants and some enemies.
    With mastery over the sword control, you can still blast through the levels the way that you like it most of the time, but not everybody will care to memorize the ins and outs of swordsmanship.

Story
    Sonic reenters the storybook world in very much the same way he did in the other game. Merlina interrupted whatever Sonic was doing (he was holding a pair of Chili Dogs at the time...) to achieve his help against the possessed Black Knight. While helping Merlina, you will seek out the help of Caliburn, a sacred... talking sword who takes the role of warning you about hazards (the other knights just talk to themselves). The banter between Caliburn and Sonic is relatively cheesy but usually enjoyable.
    Soon you will find yourself working for the Lady of the Lake, who resembles Amy. The voice feels slightly out of place, but this is partially because we only see Amy in the middle of a tantrum or a fangirlish obsession. The interaction with the knights and the blacksmith is far more limited, and though Sonic occasionally makes remarks that reference their Sonic-world counterparts he has grown wiser for his experience in Secret Rings. (for you continuity fanatics, he does not seem to recognize Sir Percival/Blaze) You will spend most of your time with Caliburn, Merlina, and Neimu (Lady of the Lake).
    The story visits the concept of chivalry but is rather limited to its concern with duty and honor, which plays into the story in a few segments. Overall, there are many astonishingly good plot developments that suffer only because there just wasn't enough plot points to support it. You probably already have an idea of what happens for the mid-game plot twist, but the bare story may throw you off.

Multiplayer
    The feature has a few interesting variations, but while its not broken, it isn't very well fleshed-out either. While you may work to unlock more stages and rulesets, most of them are almost identical. Tag is still a death match, as is the black flag variant. Additionally, the game can be obscenely imbalanced due to the breadth of Gawain's attack and the fact that Sonic's speed surge is almost unstoppable. Blacksmith's crossbow does change things up, but the aim is dodgy... Amy is one of the most powerful characters in the game because of her special ability and the agility of using that giant hammer.
    To touch on the rulesets again... from what I've played the ones most worth looking into as alternate versions are the normal battle (with many, many variants), sudden death (which is basically the noitems-foxonly-finaldestination mode), and ring battle (though I haven't really tried it). Phantom Battle is impossible against a Sonic player without turning into a death match (killing him removes the points he gained by speed-surging the soldier-ones) and Giant Battle takes the Giant-One from the adventure and makes it ten times more frustrating by making it a matter of letting him squeeze rings out of the decoy while the others hack at him.
    Overall... the overhead perspective of the battle does more harm than good, making some of the less bearable movements impossible. The lack of variety allows the game to get old rapidly... playing with my family it did not take long before we tired of the identical stages, and only by discovering sudden death did we renew interest enough to keep playing.

Conclusion
    The game itself ranges from decent to mediocre, but the presentation and the storyline are almost worth the discounted price or the rental fee for the more forgiving Sonic fans. In order to improve on the game, the play area needs to be widened and the draw distance extended more than anything else, along with thinning the ranks of a few of the enemies. As it is, the improvement on the visuals, cutscenes, even the dialogue is unbelievable. For those that like to complain, take note that these are indeed "improvements" in spite of the weaker gameplay.
    If any of you decide to buy it, I can only hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I may be raving over some of the story and the music due to personal preference, but as someone who shared a love-hate relationship with the Secret Rings cutscenes it needn't totally discredit my opinion.

A score would not help you with deciding to get the game, because there is a pretty critical deviation between the good and the bad for some prospective players. No score would be high enough for some to enjoy it, nor low enough to keep others from enjoying it. I can't make that decision for you.
    ----------------

I still have to unlock Lamorak, Galahad, and the Black Knight, who I'm hoping will bring something new to multiplayer. (which currently consists of Gawain, Knuckles, Sonic, and the unlucky fourth player) Some of the levels I enjoyed enough to consider time attacking once I master them... while others (the Cauldron mostly) I'll probably not revisit too readily.

I am still going crazy for the final boss music, which is probably the best vocal boss theme to come out of Sonic Team since "What I'm Made Of", and the credits theme which is probably the best soft theme since Sonic 3. Though "best" is just me raving...

I got the game around 4 days ago and I have already completed it, I am not going to write a long review like JEV3 did (mostly because I'm lazy right now) but I can say that the game is a improvement from the secret rings, anyone who thought that the swordplay would ruin the game were mistake. The boss fights can be a bit confusing at times (King Arther 2nd battle was confusing on my first few try's but after I memorized the patterns and how to hurt him it was quite easy) and the final boss music does indeed kick musical ass.

As for blargen's obviously biased opinion, well, the game is actually better than most would expect, though I have to agree with what JEV3 said. I would score this game about a 3.5 out of 5.

I have played this game and if i were to give it rating it would be 6/10.
I thought it was a decent game but could be ALOT better, It's bassicly sonic and the secret rings... but with a sword.

The game looks very good from the videos i´ve seen, the cutsenes are more active than what they were in Sonic and the Secret Rings, the game looks good as the music is also well-designed, but the sword seems hard to controld, that´s my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, IGN made up another lame review.

Jev, looking at your multiplayer review it still seems like you need more rule sets/levels/characters.(?)

They also added past Sonic game music for the battle zones in multiplayer.(SWEET!)

But Silver for multiplayer can use his powers (If you wouldn't notice this by now...)

Though Jet plays *SPOILER Plays like knuckles but has the Sonic Slicer*

SPOILER:King Arthur plays like......a slow moving monster, Insanely powerful/fast..special attack is lightning

I love Multi-player, Trap battle is one of my favorite rule-sets. (Obstacles - Use it as a defense!)

Also the giant one is basically a team work game..fast but fun.
And the other Phantom battle is fun.
Its pretty easy to beat Sonic if you use the unlockable characters or Blaze.

Also you said Sonic is impossible to defend against, have you tried Shield/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back