Anyone else disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanyhead

Mimigas' Rights Activist
To tell you the truth, I am truly angry at 2.0's single player campaign, here's why:

The new save system sucks, with the length of the new zones, it is annoying to not be able to save every act.

The new enemies are either annoying or boring

There is no ability to choose difficulty

Deep Sea fails to be fun, all of the interesting looking paths have gimmicks that can't be understood, and the other paths are too easy. I'd like to at least have better controls or the ability to look around during water slides, also, the zoom tubes that send you back if you take a wrong turn are long and boring.

The new Castle Eggman is annoying, the crossbow bots are unanimated and boring, the depth perception of software mode is not good enough to efficiently use the rev-spin chains. You used the "destroy all enemies to move on" gimmick, and I sigsev'd when I got hit by a spinning-spikeball in the big water room of act 2. More water slides and long, boring zoom tubes.

I raged after that sigsev and decided to post this, in hopes that the next version addresses these fun-killing issues.

The only thing I do like about the single player game is the visual polish of the maps, they are beauties, but so are the levels of some of sega's modern games, so that is no excuse.

Sorry, but I expected you guys to do better than this, guess I was wrong about you.

Edited due to accidental overtype.

I really liked all the new levels, and especially the new enemies. The only thing that bothers me is that it isn't saving every act. All I really need now is an OpenGL Mac OS X version, so I can play it in windowed mode and still have it be larger than my PC's screen.

I don't find the new enemies annoying at all, I find them really creative, also it means we'll finally have fan made levels not using crawlas.

I also think the level designs are brilliant except for the breaking wall maze in DPZ, I'm not sure what to think about that part. The difficulty is fine to me, its challenging, which is good. Back to the level designs, its brillant for all the gimmicks which make up the zone such as the water slides under the spikes in the tunnels, and the spinning spikeballs in CEZ. And also there's lots of alternate routes to take.

I noticed one glitch which is that sometimes when you let go of the really long swinging chains you end up grabbing back onto them, the small spinning chains however work perfectly fine, I don't know why you have a problem with them.

There is nothing wrong with the zoom tubes either as they take just as long as the ones in Chemical Plant Zone and Death Egg.

Yeah about the zoom tubes, but you can't see an interesting environment around you in the ultra-crampedness like you can in the 2d CPZ or DEZ.

The first post in the topic is pretty much everything I dislike about SRB2ME.

I think I'm going to have a lot more fun wadding for SRB2ME, rather than play it. It's annoying, long and disappointing.

I know I havn't seen you in a while, but remind me. You are not the one from the Middle ground with the sprite comic, right?

If you aren't playing in one of the supported resolutions... then its gonna crash. If you have an Nvidia card, open up the Nvidia control panel (usually on the right-click menu), and then make a custom resolution for 640x400. If that fails play it with the appropriate parameters or play it windowed.

As for the notion that it is rushed, well we didn't exactly get to put it off another couple of years until everything was perfect... but even in this current state CEZ2 and RVZ are decent. As a matter of fact I at one point pushed to have some of these levels removed but STjr wanted to give you the opportunity to play it.

I think you'll find that very much of the game had much more thought put into it than you realize. Do note however that there are levels and features that will invariably be improved. The walls in SFZ, the save system, the lack of difficulty options, etc etc etc.

If you have any ideas on how we can improve SRB2ME, please let us know, but please do not make a lot of drama about it... I can't abide drama, and I really do not want it get in the way of other people trying to enjoy SRB2ME.

Re: Anyone else dissapointed?

Zanyhead said:
The new save system sucks, with the length of the new zones, it is annoying to not be able to save every act.
Never played S3&K?

(Actually, for a short time, ME was, in fact, saving after every act. I dunno what happened to that.)
Zanyhead said:
Er, explain?
Zanyhead said:
Which is a damn good thing.
Zanyhead said:
Deep Sea fails to be fun, all of the interesting looking paths have gimmicks that can't be understood, and the other paths are too easy. I'd like to at least have better controls or the ability to look around during water slides, also, the zoom tubes that send you back if you take a wrong turn are long and boring.
The only thing I have to say to this is -- how the hell can you not understand the gimmicks in DSZ? They were blindingly obvious to me on playthrough number one.
Zanyhead said:
The new Castle Eggman is annoying, the crossbow bots are unanimated and boring, the depth perception of software mode is not good enough to efficiently use the rev-spin chains. You used the "destroy all enemies to move on" gimmick, and I sigsev'd when I got hit by a spinning-spikeball in the big water room of act 2. More water slides and long, boring zoom tubes.
The "destroy all enemies to move on" area is so easy to completely skip that you're silly for complaining about it. And sheesh, we know about the sigsegvs, so hush. Stuff like that we can't exactly find and fix easily, you know.

MattW_CFI said:
Zanyhead said:
Never played S3&K?
Zanyhead said:
Er, explain?
Zanyhead said:
Which is a damn good thing.
Zanyhead said:
The only thing I have to say to this is -- how the hell can you not understand the gimmicks in DSZ? They were blindingly obvious to me on playthrough number one.
Zanyhead said:
The "destroy all enemies to move on" area is so easy to completely skip that you're silly for complaining about it. And sheesh, we know about the sigsegvs, so hush. Stuff like that we can't exactly find and fix easily, you know.
No the TC is right, the deep sea level, there are paths that are just hidden with no clues to find out where you go, oh and it's boring. I am disappointed :(

saturatedfat said:
No the TC is right, the deep sea level, there are paths that are just hidden with no clues to find out where you go, oh and it's boring. I am disappointed :(
Again, explain. What I've heard thus far from 99% of people is "wah wah it's boring fix it". ...which is kind of hard if we don't know what the fuck is wrong with it.

And seriously. Come on. I'm not exactly a fan of the new save system myself, but you guys are overreacting. Give us time, dammit. Rome wasn't built in a day.

MattW_CFI said:
Zanyhead said:
Er, explain?

Okay:

The Fish bots are too easy to avoid, they should have a farther sight range for charging and should leap out of the water at you if you make it by them.

The Crossbow bots, as I said, are animationless and MUCH smaller than they seem

The Spinning Spike bots, why are they indestructable when they are red? I think the redness should act as a shield, protecting from one hit, then they should bounce back and turn blue again.

The Shieldbots are oddly and annoyingly placed, putting them near the ledges of key jumps to bounce you into the lower levels only to have to do the ENTIRE platforming part again was not a good idea.

The Lance bots should take two hits or be smaller visually.

I am shocked at how everybody seems to hate the new release. (But seriously, I think most of the people who enjoy it are currently playing it.)
Yes, the save system sucks, and yes, the bustable wall gimmick was kinda annoying, but that's about everything I dislike. The level design is great, the gimmicks are fun, the enemies are very interesting (by the way, crawla are about a hundred times as boring) and - in contrast to the first two zones - the stages are LONG. Sure we'll have to get used to it, but I'll bet that in a few days or weeks most of you will like v2.0.

EDIT: Could it be that none of you has even finished CEZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back