Suggestions

2008-10-15-91-OldSonic.jpg

The ironic part is that Nights mode probably already has this beat. Each little ball in a hoop is a separate sprite and Super Sonic poops out a lot of little stars.

I don't know much about SRB2's internal workings, but I think an important difference here might be the fact that rings have active physics.

This sounds like a pointless inclusion/suggestion, but it'd be kind of nice if you could change color in singleplayer? I suppose with the way the player/color changer works would allow you to switch players at will but hey maybe I want to be neon green Sonic for one level. Not that such a feature would be REALLY necessary defeating the purpose of me suggesting it in the first place but I'd appreciate it none the less :u

Last edited:
Well first off, in 1991, people use this magnificent book called a MANUAL.

and we never read it !!!

Really, it's different here. In the original Sonic 3, for instance, you knew that you could do things with a shield because there were so few buttons to begin with and it was just pressing jump again. Here, you've got a whole keyboard laid out in front of you, and so how do you know that spinning uses a shield's function rather than simply pressing jump again? That and strafing are the only things I think this game doesn't really explain that you need.

also, i remember srb2's manual i liked it

Then make her an unlocked-by-default character, like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles! That'd make her just as important to the plot as Knuckles is(seriously, watch the intro - Knuckles just came to help out of nowhere).

Defeats the point of having another character in the fray to unlock. I agree with BW's sentiments- have her as a lesser unlockable than Metal. That is if she could even work somehow. Like Neo said, Metal alone is cool because he's just that awesome and worthy of being an unlockable. Amy? Hrmm..

The ironic part is that Nights mode probably already has this beat. Each little ball in a hoop is a separate sprite and Super Sonic poops out a lot of little stars.

Nights mode has a quite limited draw distance by default (unlike the rest of the game) so that's probably part of it.

Knuckles' idle animation should function differently.

Currently he will wait 8 seconds before slowly chuckling continuously. It would look more natural if his chuck animation was faster, and also if he only chuckled in spurts.

Tails' could also use a little improvement; he should interchange between standing and yawning sprites, similar to how his idle animation works in the official games.

DSZ2's mine maze debris is fucking obnoxious. The graphic should be changed to something that takes up less of the screen.

I was record attacking DSZ2 earlier today and I echo your sentiments.

I mean, why? Who thought it was good enough to keep? :(

Maze section would be decent if the map actually did something with it. It's just there and then it's gone.

Was. A damn. Question. A suggestion. A recommendation. No one said "Hey, lets beat the hell out off the kid for thinking about something in case he happens not to be 100%."
(And its not like that one time where i recommended ledge grab. I asked for it that time. And no one actually got me for that one except one person)
Nights mode has a quite limited draw distance by default (unlike the rest of the game) so that's probably part of it.
Not true, you can choose nights draw distance in the options. If you dared to look. It just happens to be set lower. It can be infinite too.
Besides, The things that crashes the game the most are unseen anyway. Like the old Armageddon shield glitch. Oh, but you might be right about why the nights draw distance being low.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Look guys, I know you don't wanna over do it, And I don't curse much here, but...
WHY THE HELL IS IT THAT:
Charskincolorreftable-vanilla.PNG

YELLOW DOES NOT USE ALL THE DAMN SHADES OF YELLOW?
Hell, olive doesn't even use half, and black should use 16 even IF it uses the darker part of... what, 32 hue-less values? Are you serious ಠ_ಠ?
The whole palette:
Palette.png

are you FUCKING kidding me!?!?
I'm just gonna throw this back up because no one seems to have seen it.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Absolutely no good game from pre-1992 required the player to do any reading up in the manual to understand what was happening in the game. It was common practice before the Playstation to design the first levels of the game to gradually introduce the player to all the elements by way of controlled experiments. SRB2 has no need to be any different.

You want SRB2 to have a manual? Ask for a manual.

Because none of the mainstream classic Sonics ever did that? And you can complete this entire game without getting hit once if you're good enough. The fact that we even use rings for vitality makes the game easy as it is.

The intro hasn't been touched since like 2003. lol
Because none of the mainstream classic Sonics ever did that?
Because none of the mainstream classic Sonics ever did that?
What the f***!?!?
Half of you say "Oh look, the classics are perfection"
While at the same time saying "But we can't do just like the classics, we should be original"
and then saying "But the classics..." Whenever someone talks about implementing something not from S1,S2 or S3!
What is wrong with you people.

Last edited:
One thing I'd love to see (at least in OpenGL) would be .smd support for models.
Like, if in md2.dat, I type "Sonic ClassicSonic.smd 2 0", then if the file "MD2/ClassicSonic.smd" exists, that will be loaded, similarly to .md2, just as a static model.

But... if the file "MD2/ClassicSonic_anim.smd" or "MD2/ClassicSonic.ani" or something exists, being of an animation .smd format, that will be loaded as skeletal animation (like vertex animation for .md2 models) for "MD2/ClassicSonic.smd", since the .smd format supports bones.
.smd is a fairly "simple" format, after all. Yes, I'm talking about the one VALVe uses to compile models for the Source Engine with. Well, used to, until they hopped over to the .dmx format, which would be too complicated to implement successfully without too much hassle.

Another thing I'd love to see is, if we say I have "Sonic ClassicSonic.md2 2 0" in my md2.dat, then if the texture MD2/ClassicSonic.png exists, it will also check for other colours, like ClassicSonic_Red.png, ClassicSonic_Neon_Green.png, etcetera. As in, [modelname]_[colour].png. If a colour can't be found, it will use [modelname].png instead.
That would always leave 1 coloured png unnecessary, since for Sonic, [modelname].png would probably be blue, so [modelname]_Blue.png wouldn't be necessary for that model (but still loaded if it would exist).

This way, one can actually have coloured models that work without a whole character wad made with the model texture as all frames.
If this colour-support for models would be added, I'd definitely start using models for a lot of things.

Oh, and for super characters, it would be [modelname]_Super1.png, Super2, Super3, Super4 and Super5, since those are actually the names of the colours inside r_draw.c. The vanilla Knuckles would have KSuper1 to 5, of course, since those are what he use.
I'm just gonna throw this back up because no one seems to have seen it. And because I really really care about that thing, to be honest.

Also, about the palette thing in the previous post... Black uses the darkest 8 shades of black because it's supposed to be black, not gray. For the darkest 16 shades of black to actually be black, you'd need a character that has really dark colours before being coloured, to be honest. I mean, look at this Sonic. (That's a link to a picture.) On the left is gray, or what you call black. On the right is something that actually looks black.

But yellow, I have to admit, it should had used all 16 shades. *Checks* Nope, looks absolutely horrible. It should had used the 12 darkest shades of yellow, though, that looks good. But well, what has been decided has been decided.

I'm just gonna throw this back up because no one seems to have seen it. And because I really really care about that thing, to be honest.

Also, about the palette thing in the previous post... Black uses the darkest 8 shades of black because it's supposed to be black, not gray. For the darkest 16 shades of black to actually be black, you'd need a character that has really dark colours before being coloured, to be honest. I mean, look at this Sonic. (That's a link to a picture.) On the left is gray, or what you call black. On the right is something that actually looks black.

But yellow, I have to admit, it should had used all 16 shades. *Checks* Nope, looks absolutely horrible. It should had used the 12 darkest shades of yellow, though, that looks good. But well, what has been decided has been decided.
True, true.

Oh, and was anyone complaining about there not being a manual? It's outdated* and looks horrible, beware. But hey, it exists.
* Design and content on SRB2 is copyright 1998-2009 by Sonic Team Junior. That's how outdated it is.

Last edited:
That manual is actually decent, it should come back including the newer content with it.

Last edited:
WHAT THE F***!?!?
HALF OF YOU SAY "Oh look, the classics are perfection"
WHILE AT THE SAME TIME SAYING "But we can't do just like the classics, we should be original"
AND THEN SAYING "But the classics..." WHEN EVER SOMEONE TALKS ABOUT IMPLEMENTING SOMETHING NOT STRAIGHT FROM S1,S2 OR S3!
What is wrong with you people.

Stop being spastic.

The ring loss works like Sonic 1/2/3 because it literally was meant to emulate those games. Partial ring loss would be inaccurate to what people expect from something inspired by the old Sonic games, and we want to be faithful to that.

Setting aside that, the game is balanced around this mechanic for two reasons.

1. There are lots of shields now. Multiplayer starts you off with a shield, Single Player has magnetic, elemental, and force shields all over the levels, and they're designed to help you keep your rings. You can get hit a few times and not lose your rings because of this.

2. This game is designed around you being able to dodge everything. The only excuse for you to lose your rings is that you were not good enough. The ring emblems are designed to test your skill, so you shouldn't get hit. The vanilla game rewards you for every 100 rings you get, and partial ring loss would make gaining 1ups too easy. I can get like 20-30 lives in a no-save run, but without rings this drops to 10 and under.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back