WAV files over Doom Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joosp

The journey no one knows but you
While porting Jasper to 2.1, I found that my old Doom Format sounds seem to clip off near the end of every sound. I did have to convert them using XWE since SLADE3 really doesn't want to do that. I decided to just reconvert them to Doom Format, but they remained cut up. At that point I just gave up and left them as WAV files.

...and they worked perfectly strangely enough. My question is whether or not I should try to keep them in Doom Format if possible or if I can leave them as WAV files. The size of the WAV files are also the same size as the Doom Format files, if that helps decide anything.

Look, Jasper, Go back and read your post, and then you can decide, and if that doesn't work, just use WAV Format

To the best of my knowledge, DooM WAV format is optimized for playback, at least in part due to some header shenanigans. Its performance is (in theory) better, but obviously if the sound isn't working when converted, leaving it as a normal WAV is preferable.

As for why you have that option at all, changes to SRB2's sound system now allow for a wider variety of sound formats to be used as sound effects. You can even stick a midi in there and it'll work!

...though why someone would want to specifically do that, I have no idea.

Someone needs to hear GFZ music in MIDI format whenever they spin, of course!

Good to know I can use WAV as is, and if possible I'll try to get DooM WAV working just in case. Thanks again :U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back